Invisible indicators on new cars.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
MikeF

Re: Invisible indicators on new cars.

Post by MikeF »

Pebble wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:Although hazard lights - all indicators flashing together - are a widely used way of indicating an intention to reverse, that's not a permitted use of hazard lights. Nor is "I know I am on double yellow lines but I'll only be a minute."

Definitely for the I know 'I shouldn't be parked here' but was completely unaware it may mean an intention to reverse.
I've not noticed that either, but only as "Park anywhere lights" :roll:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Syd

Post by Syd »

thirdcrank wrote:Although hazard lights - all indicators flashing together - are a widely used way of indicating an intention to reverse, that's not a permitted use of hazard lights. Nor is "I know I am on double yellow lines but I'll only be a minute."

True but would you rather a vehicle, without reversing lights, simply reverses?

I rarely had need to reverse, in said Mustang, and only ever did sonslowly.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm surprised that there are some who haven't seen hazards used for reversing. Perhaps this is a regional thing.

As to my preferences, I'd say that compliance with the law is best. The law has been changed occasionally to recognise usage. Drivers slowing on the approach to a hazard can use them before they are stationary. Then, whether legal or not, nothing makes it acceptable to take the line, "I'm reversing, it's up to you to get out of my way."
=========================================================================

PS I forgot that the regs were changed to allow hazard warning lights to be used if the crew of a bus - these days usually a lone driver - to summon assistance. Here are the current regs, with nothing about reversing:

5 Hazard warning signal device

Used other than–

(i) to warn persons using the road of a temporary obstruction when the vehicle is at rest; or
(ii )on a motorway or unrestricted dual-carriageway, to warn following drivers of a need to slow down due to a temporary obstruction ahead; or
(iii )in the case of a bus, to summon assistance for the driver or any person acting as a conductor or inspector on the vehicle.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/198 ... on/27/made

ie other uses are prohibited
Syd

Post by Syd »

thirdcrank wrote:I'm surprised that there are some who haven't seen hazards used for reversing. Perhaps this is a regional thing.

As to my preferences, I'd say that compliance with the law is best. The law has been changed occasionally to recognise usage. Drivers slowing on the approach to a hazard can use them before they are stationary. Then, whether legal or not, nothing makes it acceptable to take the line, "I'm reversing, it's up to you to get out of my way”.

Where have I said I was using them in the manner of I”'m reversing, it's up to you to get out of my way”?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Syd wrote: ... Where have I said I was using them in the manner of I”'m reversing, it's up to you to get out of my way”?

I've no idea how you drive and I didn't intend to imply that I had. I was speaking generally about what I regularly see. Once upon a time, delivery drivers often had a mate, who who would get out and assist with reversing - act as a banksman in the lingo. Delivery drivers' mates have largely disappeared in the general cost-cutting but those who haven't no longer seem to feel it's any part of their job to assist with reversing.

However, if you use your hazards when reversing you are breaking the law but you are not alone.

=======================================================================

PS I presume you started doing this from what others did.
Syd

Invisible indicators on new cars.

Post by Syd »

thirdcrank wrote:
Syd wrote: ... Where have I said I was using them in the manner of I”'m reversing, it's up to you to get out of my way”?

I've no idea how you drive and I didn't intend to imply that I had. I was speaking generally about what I regularly see. Once upon a time, delivery drivers often had a mate, who who would get out and assist with reversing - act as a banksman in the lingo. Delivery drivers' mates have largely disappeared in the general cost-cutting but those who haven't no longer seem to feel it's any part of their job to assist with reversing.

However, if you use your hazards when reversing you are breaking the law but you are not alone.

I used to do my best to avoid situations where I would have to reverse my Mustang but there were times where it was impossible not to.

When I was doing so I would

1. Wait until the road behind me was clear.
2. Reverse slowly, using the creep fun of the auto box, being at all times ready to stop should someone or something come along.
3. I would only reverse for the minimum possible distance.

Yes, I get it is not an appropriate use of hazard lights and I would turn them off once it became obvious, say in a three point turn, I was manoeuvring foward and backwards.
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

fastpedaller wrote:My wife bought a new car 4 years ago, and (down our country lanes) was impossible to drive unless we used full beam - the dipped lights were aimed at a point on the road about 5metres away! We asked the main dealer to check them and he said they were ok....Hmm. So making sure the car was level i put bits of masking tape on our garage door and adjusted the lights. ll was good for our night driving (and as 'proof' nobody approaching flashed thier light in disgust) When it had its first MOT I asked them if the adjustment was ok - "yes,spot on' they said, 'which is unusual as most cars have them set far too low from new'. I then explained the problem we'd had, and the main dealer's dismissal of our concern.

It would never have occurred to me that I ought to be able to drive along unlit country lanes using only dipped headlights.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Syd wrote:

True but would you rather a vehicle, without reversing lights, simply reverses?

I rarely had need to reverse, in said Mustang, and only ever did sonslowly.

That reminds me I had a van many many years ago (late 70s) and it either had no reversing lights or they did not work. I can distinctly remember reversing that at night with the flashers on to see where I was going.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Another av=bsurd trend is "running lights"

On my Nissan, and many others, the running lights are brighter then the sidelights!

As it gets darker, you are legally required to use sidelights as opposed to running lights, yet are turning the brightness lower
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Cunobelin wrote:Another av=bsurd trend is "running lights"

On my Nissan, and many others, the running lights are brighter then the sidelights!

As it gets darker, you are legally required to use sidelights as opposed to running lights, yet are turning the brightness lower

The purpose of sidelights is not to see, but to be seen. So it's reasonable to expect that they don't need to be as bright in the dark as DRLs (the clue's in the name) are in the daytime
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

DRLs should have been designed to automatically dim as conditions become duller. On a bright sunny day (when they are not needed) they are not a significant problem but in fading light they become very blinding.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Cunobelin wrote:On my Nissan, and many others, the running lights are brighter then the sidelights!

Many many (most?) DRL systems do not switch on the rear lights.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

tatanab wrote:DRL systems do not switch on the rear lights.

That's my biggest concern of all.

It just seems to have been missed from the studies and regulations.

Some manufacturers do.

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Anyone bought a newish family car recently that has good indicators?
I am here. Where are you?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cowsham wrote:Anyone bought a newish family car recently that has good indicators?
Trouble is, with that question, how would you know?

We have a white 2014 Yaris, and unless I see another one like our's at a junction/roundabout, I would have no idea if our car is good, bad, or indifferent.
Mick F. Cornwall