Feel safe alternatives to closed gyms?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
drossall

Re: Feel safe alternatives to closed gyms?

Post by drossall »

The thing that finally drove me to the gym was a double bypass last year. On the other hand, I've always been a club cyclist - not the most active, but doing some shorter Audaxes (up to 200km). So most people regarded me as fit before my "incident". Afterwards, the physio team mandated regular exercise. I was cycle commuting, but the gym fitted as a way of doing a bit extra.

During and since lockdown, I've wanted to keep it up, but recognised that gyms are not yet the healthiest places to be, and Zwift has fitted the bill. I'm happy on a dumb trainer and single speed on an old bike, so a pretty simple set-up compared to the fancy machine above. At the gym, I found the exercise machines more entertaining if I played the videos of virtual rides (and walks), so I suppose Zwift was a natural step on from there. And my club has been using it anyway - the group rides replaced club runs while those were impossible, and now a virtual club 10 series is replacing the (mostly) lost racing season.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I could never *thoyle* paying for gym membership :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

drossall wrote: but recognised that gyms are not yet the healthiest places to be, .

Depends on the usage. Mine doesn't open until 07.15am at weekends, but whilst it's got sufficient space for 56 users at one time, it'll be empty except for myself and staff downstairs :wink: (NB. Booking data shows that the "big" people don't arrive until 08.30 weekdays and 10.00 at weekends; and the only benefit of having to "log in", the fact that I know the gym will be empty)

Compared with the high levels of risk in standing in a take away queue, or the alcohol aisle at the supermarket last night (NB. I walked past both), neither mind engaging with the NHS, the risk is minimal
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Tangled Metal wrote:
Put simply not everyone can run to their gym,1km each way,then I either run 5km the Treadmill and 16km on the Wattbike or just 32km on the Wattbike. You have to improve steadily to achieve that fitness (BTW was that what's called a humble brag???). Gyms are a safe way to get from a very low fitness starting level to a healthy level. It's also a safer way to maintain a decent fitness level.

I realize asking this here in a site that's mostly populated by people who think 30 miles cycle ride is just a warm up. People who have likely ridden a lot over many years and as a result have a fitness level well above average for their age. Basically at a level 10 or more years younger.

I agree with your comments - I went to the gym mainly to maintain my strength.
I never did get to run on the treadmill - my knees are ok but I'm 79 and I don't want to risk damaging them in pursuit of improved cardiovascular performance.
I preferred the rowing machine to the watt bike - I hate static bikes - I'm impressed that anyone is able to do 32k - I can only manage a few minutes.
I did like the gym - even "the gorillas" in the weights room were quite friendly and accommodating.
I haven't gone back yet - I'll maintain membership for the time being.
I have some free weights at home to work out with and I supplement that with brisk walking trying to include some uphill.
I ride a bike of course - if the weather is really bad I'll reluctantly climb on the turbo - not for long, just until want to scream - 30 mins on a good day.
FerociousDog

Post by FerociousDog »

Tangled Metal wrote:Put simply not everyone can run to their gym,1km each way,then I either run 5km the Treadmill and 16km on the Wattbike or just 32km on the Wattbike. You have to improve steadily to achieve that fitness (BTW was that what's called a humble brag???). Gyms are a safe way to get from a very low fitness starting level to a healthy level. It's also a safer way to maintain a decent fitness level.

Why you have taken that as a humble brag is beyond me?!
I don't follow your logic at all.I was merely stating what I do to keep my level of fitness over the Winter.I'm certainly no elitist!

ANTONISH wrote:I preferred the rowing machine to the watt bike - I hate static bikes - I'm impressed that anyone is able to do 32k - I can only manage a few minutes.

It's really no different to do 50/60/70km on Zwift!I have friends who will sit on their turbos for 3-4 hrs "Zwifting"!
32km takes just over an hour which is about my limit on a static bike!
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

FerociousDog wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Put simply not everyone can run to their gym,1km each way,then I either run 5km the Treadmill and 16km on the Wattbike or just 32km on the Wattbike. You have to improve steadily to achieve that fitness (BTW was that what's called a humble brag???). Gyms are a safe way to get from a very low fitness starting level to a healthy level. It's also a safer way to maintain a decent fitness level.

Why you have taken that as a humble brag is beyond me?!
I don't follow your logic at all.I was merely stating what I do to keep my level of fitness over the Winter.I'm certainly no elitist!

ANTONISH wrote:I preferred the rowing machine to the watt bike - I hate static bikes - I'm impressed that anyone is able to do 32k - I can only manage a few minutes.

It's really no different to do 50/60/70km on Zwift!I have friends who will sit on their turbos for 3-4 hrs "Zwifting"!
32km takes just over an hour which is about my limit on a static bike!

You are obviously maintaining a level of fitness that I cannot even aspire to - however I do think "tangled metal has a point about humble bragging.
FerociousDog

Post by FerociousDog »

ANTONISH wrote:You are obviously maintaining a level of fitness that I cannot even aspire to - however I do think "tangled metal has a point about humble bragging.

I think there is some confusion here.I am no supremely fit athlete!I really have to push my boredom levels to stay on the Wattbike for an hour.It just isn't fun.I generally average between 28-33kmph or 17-20mph depending on how feel.On the road solo I will average 20-25kph/13-15.5mph(depending on terrain).This will rise to 25-28kmph when I ride with the club.I ride with the 'B' or 2nd tier group at the club!Indoor stats will always be slightly higher than real world riding.If I could average 32kmph over 100km on the road a bit of humble bragging would be in order :wink:
I think for a club cyclist my age(mid-50s) I'm about average.There are club riders my age and older who ride further and faster week in week out.I can only aspire to be their level of fitness.
So please don't take my post as any form of bragging,humble or otherwise!

You should see some of the stats on Zwift for local chain-gangs.
Last edited by FerociousDog on 19 Oct 2020, 11:15am, edited 1 time in total.
Syd

Post by Syd »

For me it’s yoga and Pilates videos and Zwift
mjr

Post by mjr »

gbnz wrote:
drossall wrote: but recognised that gyms are not yet the healthiest places to be, .

Depends on the usage. Mine doesn't open until 07.15am at weekends, but whilst it's got sufficient space for 56 users at one time, it'll be empty except for myself and staff downstairs :wink: [...] Compared with the high levels of risk in standing in a take away queue, [...]

Can you tell for sure that no-one else is booked in for when you'll be there? Otherwise, being in an enclosed space with people breathing hard, probably unmasked, and sweating seems like a higher level of risk than standing in a queue outside the takeaway at 2m spacing.

Supermarkets and NHS sites vary too much to draw general points on risk IMO.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
FerociousDog

Post by FerociousDog »

mjr wrote:
gbnz wrote:

Depends on the usage. Mine doesn't open until 07.15am at weekends, but whilst it's got sufficient space for 56 users at one time, it'll be empty except for myself and staff downstairs :wink: [...] Compared with the high levels of risk in standing in a take away queue, [...]

Can you tell for sure that no-one else is booked in for when you'll be there? Otherwise, being in an enclosed space with people breathing hard, probably unmasked, and sweating seems like a higher level of risk than standing in a queue outside the takeaway at 2m spacing.

Supermarkets and NHS sites vary too much to draw general points on risk IMO.

Our gym limits users to 15 per session.It is then closed 30mins between sessions to clean down the machines.Most people clean each machine after they use it anyway.
All the machines are 2m apart.The ones in a line(treadmills/rowers/ellipticals etc) have every other taped off/not in use to maintain the distancing.The free weight area has been split onto three separate areas with clear screens between each area.At the times we usually go there's never been more than myself,my wife and 4 or 5 others.Some choose to wear a face covering whilst exercising.Changing facilities are closed.Same for the Pool area.I personally think it's worse getting dried/changed poolside than it would be in the huge changing area!
Regarding the 2m.I thought the guidance was a minimum of 1m now?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

FerociousDog wrote:Regarding the 2m.I thought the guidance was a minimum of 1m now?

"Review of two metre social distancing guidance"
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/review-of-two-metre-social-distancing-guidance/review-of-two-metre-social-distancing-guidance

But the further the safer.

mjr wrote:... being in an enclosed space with people breathing hard, probably unmasked, and sweating seems like a higher level of risk than standing in a queue outside the takeaway at 2m spacing.

Agreed. And I'd advise anyone who's considering going to a gym or similar to look very hard at the rate at which the air is changed.

Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

One client in one spin studio that followed all the rules triggers a coronavirus outbreak with at least 61 cases: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/13/worl ... index.html
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
FerociousDog

Post by FerociousDog »

Jdsk wrote:Agreed. And I'd advise anyone who's considering going to a gym or similar to look very hard at the rate at which the air is changed.
Jonathan

Along with everything else in life it's all down to risk assessment isn't it?
If you risk assess the gym and decide it's too high then you avoid the gym.My assessment is the risk for me is very low.I'm also a season ticket holder and wouldn't think twice about going to a full football stadium tomorrow.(sadly the stadium is never full at the best of times!).A concert we were supposed to go to has been postponed twice now and won't go ahead until December 2021,likewise I would not hesitate to go to that.Everyone is different I suppose?!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

so a gym in Poland has rebranded it self as a church to get around the lockdown there: The Church of the Healthy Body

WARSAW: A Polish gym has dubbed itself a church in a bid to stay open under new anti-virus restrictions that have seen the fitness industry scramble for creative loopholes.

"Because fitness classes aren't allowed, starting today, we're offering religious gatherings for members of the Church of the Healthy Body," the Atlantic Sports club said on Facebook.

https://www.nst.com.my/world/world/2020/10/633376/gym-rebrands-itself-church-bypass-covid-rules?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

FerociousDog wrote:
Jdsk wrote:Agreed. And I'd advise anyone who's considering going to a gym or similar to look very hard at the rate at which the air is changed.

Along with everything else in life it's all down to risk assessment isn't it?
If you risk assess the gym and decide it's too high then you avoid the gym.My assessment is the risk for me is very low.I'm also a season ticket holder and wouldn't think twice about going to a full football stadium tomorrow.(sadly the stadium is never full at the best of times!).A concert we were supposed to go to has been postponed twice now and won't go ahead until December 2021,likewise I would not hesitate to go to that.Everyone is different I suppose?!

I'll never argue against the value of risk assessment.

But I try and include the risk to others in my decisions.

Jonathan