Cycling after a vasectomy??

Jamesh

Cycling after a vasectomy??

Post by Jamesh »

Hi

Having had a vasectomy on Friday I thought I would search for information on this forum however I didn't find any threads. Therefore I thought I would start a thread on the subject.

I'm sure this forum is mainly male populated and therefore some of your guys must have had a vasectomy??!

The procedure was straight forward and no worse than going to the dentist for a filling...

A couple of questions...

How much pain were you in after?

I'm not in a great deal of pain however if I do to much I get a mild groin pain. No sympathy from the Mrs or teenage daughter - that sounds like period pain!!!

Did you have any swelling?
I seem to have a bit the Mrs is going to have a look tonight (she's a gp)

How soon did you get back to cycling??

Information leaflet says a week is that feasible or sensible??

Cheers James
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Cycling after a vasectomy??

Post by Mick F »

I had one in late 1982 whilst living in West Scotland.
I drove to Western General Hospital in Glasgow with Mrs Mick F, and she was going to drive me home afterwards.
She was more upset by the op than I was, so I had to drive us home! :D :lol:

In those days, I was cycling to work seven miles each way along the loch-side, and TBH I can't remember how long it was before cycling again .......... but it wasn't more than a few days.

Never a pain or an issue in all the years, or even immediately post-op.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Thanks Mick

much appreciated.

Cheers James
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Forty-odd years since I had the snip. In the consultation beforehand, the surgeon warned about the possibility of bruising, which he referred to as black pudding -------------- (The auto-edit stops me quoting him.) I had absolutely no problem and that evening I worked half-nights (6pm - 2am) as rostered.

A couple of years later, somebody I knew had the snip and suffered the bruising mega and it was slow to clear. Luckily, he was in the rag trade and made himself a comfortable pair of trousers which somebody dubbed The Astoria. (Residents of Leeds may remember this was a large ballroom.)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

You've got an information leaflet. There's lots of advice from reputable bodies on the web.

Just one warning: in this forum there are some cyclists who exercise very hard for long periods of time sitting on a saddle and think that to do so is common. It isn't, and the writers of that advice won't have had their penis or scrotum in mind.

Jonathan

PS: I've never heard the Astoria line before. : - )
Last edited by Jdsk on 19 Oct 2020, 9:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Can’t comment about cycling. The day after my vasectomy I was putting tups out to the ewes. Holding a Blackie tup, with huge horns, between my legs it was quite a nerve wracking day. :D
Done under a GA back in those days I always believe I must have been done by a student. I had an embarrassing itch for the next year or so. Started with an inexplicable itch and then a lump could be felt under the itch. The lump could be felt firmer and firmer and then on one scratch the skin broke and out popped a stitch! Think he got his threads mixed up :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
timmitchell

Post by timmitchell »

I was on my bike after 48 hours

Follow the advice
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

If you cycle home after the procedure you are a badass!
Velominati # 999
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Thanks for the replies.

I think I will give my spa leather saddle a miss next week and take my turbo equipped Cannondale carbon!!

Cheers James
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

thirdcrank wrote:which somebody dubbed The Astoria. (Residents of Leeds may remember this was a large ballroom.)

A while ago I gave somebody directions which sounded like a tour of defunct Leeds entertainment venues. "Down past where the Astoria used to be, turn across the front of where the Fforde Grene used to be, carry on and take a sharp left just opposite where the Gaiety used to be" (all of which I've played in, as it happens).
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Had mine done in the late eighties. no pain but an amusing story to go with it.
At the time I was volunteering at the now closed Dinting Railway Centre near Glossop in Derbyshire. so on a Sunday morning a couple of days after the op I got up and the "Sack" was like a large orange in size but no pain at all. so of I went to Dinting. after a couple of hours it became a bit uncomfortable but still no pain, I was walking across the tracks(like I'd just got off a horse) to a job and Harold Moss (he was like the shed master) shout to me and called me over "whats with the silly walk" I explained to him about the "snip" and we both laughed. Half an hour later the shout went up "TEAS UP" and I walked back to the engine mens room ( our mess room) to see the very large notice board (an 8 foot by 4 foot chalk board) had been wiped clean, with a Giant arrow drawn across it pointing to a very large 56lb bob weight off the fly press resting on the shelf below. and the words "Property of M Bailey inscribed underneath. Every one in hysterics laughing,

one of those fond memories of a great place.

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Thread drift alert
Why did Dinting close? What happened to the stock and artefacts that were kept there?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

When you prepare for op,it is necessary to shave in the groin area.Our vicar disclosed that many men now do this regularly in harmony with their shaved partners.It does lead to a feeling of discomfort when the hairs regrow.A good solution is to apply something like Vaseline to ease the discomfort,and to lower the saddle a notch or two,and use oversized shorts if you have any.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Thread drift alert
Why did Dinting close? What happened to the stock and artefacts that were kept there?

Bahamas, 1054 Coal Tank, Tiny The steam crane went to Ingrow on the Keithly and Worth Valley Railway there may have been others as well, 6115 Scots Guardsman now or has been operational, Blue peter, Bittern, Warrington, and the others no knowledge. from memory it was somthing to do with the land owner wanting his land back, but I'll stand correcting on that. it was over 30 years ago :oops:
It was a great place to work, with a dedicated team and a pleasure to work with. I just made it to passed cleaner so I did a couple of firing turns,making Duck egg and bacon butties on the firing shovel while prepping the loco :D.
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

I cycled to work the next after mine, hardly noticeable incision!