TV licensing...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank
Posts: 30126
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: TV licensing...

Postby thirdcrank » 2 Oct 2020, 11:37am

I'll just mention that at my last birthday I qualified for a free TV licence but in no time at all they disqualified me. I got the letter a couple of weeks ago telling me I needed a licence so, with a lot of ill-feeling, I paid up. I am now fully entitled to grumble every time H Gration concludes the Harold Bird Show with "That's as far as we go."

sjs
Posts: 896
Joined: 24 Jan 2010, 10:08pm
Location: Hitchin

Re: TV licensing...

Postby sjs » 2 Oct 2020, 1:02pm

Mick F wrote:I say again ......... it they would write a real letter couched personally, signed by a real person, and asking nicely and politely for us to get in touch, we would do.

Instead, it's threat threat treat on pre-printed repetitive "letters" stamp-signed by a non-existent and fictitious person.

They can go and get stuffed! :lol:


[anecdote] I once received a letter from EDF (the gas/electricity etc folk) after I had terminated our relationship, containing what I thought was an incorrect final bill, and signed I supposed by an imaginary person. So I guessed the email address the person would have if they existed, and sent a ranty email to it. Not half an hour later, at around 10 pm that evening, I received a very polite and apologetic reply from the (real) person's iphone, instructing some of his minions to sort it out. To say I was surprised and impressed would be an understatement. Also, embarrassing, because the bill turned out to be correct, just the underlying maths a bit tricky. [/anecdote]

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 50367
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: TV licensing...

Postby Mick F » 2 Oct 2020, 5:07pm

Good story! :D

As for the Capita non-existent people, try Googling ..........

Jackie Garswood
Scott Robson
Alison Roberts
R Sherrington
Phil Carvill
John Hales
Mick F. Cornwall

mercalia
Posts: 14486
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: TV licensing...

Postby mercalia » 21 Oct 2020, 2:32pm

One for Mick f that he wont read ( get a decent browser that controls adverts etc)

BBC 'terrifies' the elderly with 'threatening' licence fee letters warning viewers of a £1,000 fine if they do not stump up the £157.50-a-year cost

Letters say property has no TV licence, adding: 'I visited today, to find out why'
It goes on to detail the potential fines and prosecution the recipient could face
Britney, 28, from Glasgow, who owns TV but doesn't watch BBC, received letter


letter.JPG



https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8859237/BBC-terrifies-elderly-threatening-licence-fee-letters-warning-viewers-1-000-fine.html

thirdcrank
Posts: 30126
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: TV licensing...

Postby thirdcrank » 21 Oct 2020, 2:48pm

Shock, horror. Young woman who should have a TV licence gets letter asking why she hasn't got one

Britney, 28, from Glasgow, who owns TV but doesn't watch BBC, received letter

mercalia
Posts: 14486
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: TV licensing...

Postby mercalia » 21 Oct 2020, 3:41pm

thirdcrank wrote:Shock, horror. Young woman who should have a TV licence gets letter asking why she hasn't got one

Britney, 28, from Glasgow, who owns TV but doesn't watch BBC, received letter


owning a tv on its own dont mean you need a licence?

thirdcrank
Posts: 30126
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: TV licensing...

Postby thirdcrank » 21 Oct 2020, 4:21pm

mercalia wrote: ... owning a tv on its own dont mean you need a licence?


From your own link:-

Britney, from Glasgow, owns a TV but says she does not watch BBC shows.


I'll jump to the conclusion that if she didn't watch live telly at all she would say so. At least, the hack who wrote the piece should have clarified the point because it's reported as one of the mistakes people make ie assuming they only need a licence to watch BBC programmes.

mercalia
Posts: 14486
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: TV licensing...

Postby mercalia » 21 Oct 2020, 4:23pm

thirdcrank wrote:
mercalia wrote: ... owning a tv on its own dont mean you need a licence?


From your own link:-

Britney, from Glasgow, owns a TV but says she does not watch BBC shows.


I'll jump to the conclusion that if she didn't watch live telly at all she would say so. At least, the hack who wrote the piece should have clarified the point because it's reported as one of the mistakes people make ie assuming they only need a licence to watch BBC programmes.


But there are other people in the report getting the letters. This was meant as a primer for Mick f

thelawnet
Posts: 2613
Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 12:56am

Re: TV licensing...

Postby thelawnet » 21 Oct 2020, 7:00pm

thirdcrank wrote:
mercalia wrote: ... owning a tv on its own dont mean you need a licence?


From your own link:-

Britney, from Glasgow, owns a TV but says she does not watch BBC shows.


I'll jump to the conclusion that if she didn't watch live telly at all she would say so. At least, the hack who wrote the piece should have clarified the point because it's reported as one of the mistakes people make ie assuming they only need a licence to watch BBC programmes.


That's a bit of a big conclusion. She's young. Young people don't watch TV, because they watch Netflix and such like. There really isn't much use for 'live TV' any more unless you want to watch sports, which the BBC doesn't have much of any more .

I would assume that 'not watching BBC shows' means just that, not that she tunes into Coronation Street at 7:30 sharp on channel 3.

A TV nowadays is something to plug your Xbox in or whatever, the concept of a licence is entirely anachronistic when you can get far more entertainment and information over an internet cable.

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 50367
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: TV licensing...

Postby Mick F » 21 Oct 2020, 7:06pm

Primer for me? :lol:

Here's another story.
We all know my issues of Capita and stuff. Loads of crap from them, and I log them all and file them in a ......... file.

Daughter2 upped sticks and moved back here to Cornwall and put her stuff in storage and much of her stuff in our spare bedroom.
She lived here, but slept in our summerhouse and moved her bed into there and her telly.

She knows full well about my issues with Capita and stuff so transferred her existing telly licence to a fictitious address called "The Chalet" but using our postcode. The address does NOT exist. Royal Mail doesn't list it.

However, she moved out to a house out of the valley and moved her telly licence with her. Been there over a year now, she pays her telly licence like a good girl. :D

Meanwhile ............................ Capita are sending threatening letters to the Legal Occupier "The Chalet" now. Opened it without thinking last week. First one so far, but the local postman knows us well and obviously is familiar with deleivering this crap to here. :D

Next time, I'll be checking on the address, and post it into the post box labelled "This address does NOT exist!".
Maybe I'll go to Callington Mail Centre and speak to them.

We know now, that Capita in their "wisdom" write to non-existent addresses.
What happens when an address is demolished or destroyed?
Do they keep writing to a bomb-site?
Mick F. Cornwall

thirdcrank
Posts: 30126
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: TV licensing...

Postby thirdcrank » 21 Oct 2020, 7:43pm

If somebody creates an address to licence a telly, it seems logical to me that Crapita or anyone else will assume it exists. I'm no expert on TV licencing but FWIW, if there's completely separate accommodation at one address then each unit has to be licensed separately eg if a large house is divided into completely separate flats. I suppose if there's any disagreement and it got to court then the court would have to decide on the facts. Perhaps the fact that the place concerned had at some stage been licensed as a separate unit would affect the outcome.

Looking at this down the other end of a different spyglass, if somebody living separately in your summerhouse were to be arrested for something for which the police had authority to search their accommodation, you might take a dim view if the police concluded they could search your own accommodation as well.

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 50367
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: TV licensing...

Postby Mick F » 21 Oct 2020, 7:59pm

Yep.
All true and correct wot you say TC, I have no doubt.

The strange thing to me though, is that our friendly postie, delivered the Capita Threat to us, and that there hadn't been any "nice" letters previously or any reminders either.

Maybe they've put two and two together and threatened us as per their standard format.
Not sure where that letter is right now, but I could have lit the fire with it. I should have compared it to our letters and seen how far down the pecking order it was.

May have it somewhere. Could be on the (overcrowded) coffee table perhaps.
I'll look later ..................
Mick F. Cornwall

User avatar
simonineaston
Posts: 3821
Joined: 9 May 2007, 1:06pm
Location: ...at a cricket ground

Re: TV licensing...

Postby simonineaston » 21 Oct 2020, 8:17pm

I'm aware that, as an organisation, Capita make use of the National Address Gazetteer of UK addresses. As an aside, said database lags behind new builds... so if you wanted to watch telly without a licence, all you've got to do really, is buy a newly built property - and then keep moving to another one, roughly every six months or so - see how simple it can be?!
byyeee,
SiE

thirdcrank
Posts: 30126
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: TV licensing...

Postby thirdcrank » 21 Oct 2020, 8:24pm

This isn't about having a telly with no licence. It's about not having a telly.

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 50367
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: TV licensing...

Postby Mick F » 21 Oct 2020, 9:14pm

Yes, TC .............. but Capita expect every address to have at least one telly.

Not only do they expect, they suspect too, and if the address doesn't respond to their threats, they keep on and on and on and on .......... despite, it would appear, that the address doesn't actually exist.

Never ending story.
Mick F. Cornwall