Road Angel

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
asianmaze

Road Angel

Post by asianmaze »

Hi All

I am thinking of buying a Road Angel Adveturer 7000. It appeals because it's compatible with Memory Map, so you can plan routes at home and then follow your planned route when cycling without constantly stopping to look at a paper map. Also because you can get a bike mount for it. Beyond that, I have no idea whether it's any good or not.

Has anyone used one of these? What do you think of it? Are there better gadgets doing the same thing?

Looking forward to your replies.
Warm regards

Asianmaze

"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
meic

Post by meic »

I dont know your Road Angel.
When you say it is compatible with Memory Map do you mean you can transfer Routes/tracks?
If so then I think you will find that any GPS which can connect to a computer will do so.

Or do you mean it can transfer maps to it like a PDA?
In which case, does it have the same miserable battery life of a PDA?
Yma o Hyd
meic

Post by meic »

I googled it.

Looks good. It is starting to get nearer to the perfect cycling GPS.

Big questions.

1) How heavy
2) Battery type and life.
Yma o Hyd
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Battery life is a claimed 8 hours.

It's a tom tom lookalike that you can upload OS maps to (from Memory Map). They're quite popular with private pilots because of their multiple uses, use them in the car then switch to a CAA map for flying and stick it in your plane.
Obviously if you have a bike or walk you could switch to an OS map and use it for that too!

Some bumf here: http://www.memory-map.co.uk/road_angel_adventurer_satnav.htm

Oh - they do a bike mount too.

Hmmm, an idea for a xmas pressie for myself is forming...
meic

Post by meic »

MP3 player included!
One less thing to carry.

The Li ion battery worries me.

I get over 20 hours on a pair of AA batteries on the Vista HCx.
AA are easy and cheap to buy or recharge.

On the other hand a 3.5" screen makes the Vista look pathetic.

Check that Memory map allows you to run it on your computer and the Road Angel with just the one purchase.

The Garmin Etrex range are exceptionally rugged. Does the "waterproof" of this compare?
Have you looked at Satmap?

I still find it hard to get the full (or even useful) benefits of an OS map on a small GPS screen. Either Garmins 2" or this 3.5"
Yma o Hyd
Will

Post by Will »

I've got one on order myself. I've used Memory Map for a couple of years on my PDA, but found the battery life a major problem. This device appears to have much better battery life than a PDA running Windows Mobile & Memory Map.

Check out http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=62694&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 - there's a guy who uses it on his mountain bike and has written quite a bit about his experience with the device.

Will
cricklewood_graeme

Post by cricklewood_graeme »

I have absolutely no experience of GPS devices for bicycles but if I ever get around to using one I would want a dynamo type system for charging the device. Apparently the German company Tout Terrain have fitted a hub dynamo USB charger to one of their models. See Cycle Mag Oct-Nov 2008 p50. Does anyone know whether there are other sources of this technology?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Great idea!

When I toured earlier this year, I took my Garmin 305 and my MacBook. The MacBook was needed as the 305 will only record 3 or 4 day's at a time, dependent on how far you go of course! 80 miles a day for 3 days is about it.

Therefore, I had to upload the info before it was lost forever. Hence the MacBook.

Power was also a problem. The 305 will run for 12 hours tops. ie 1 day. The MacBook will run for 6 or more hours, depending on how much you do but generally a great deal less, and it will also charge the 305 from the USB terminal. Hence I didn't need power any more frequently than every 3 days or so.

Don't ask about mobiles phones!

I envisage a dynamo powering a whole suite of technology strapped to the rear rack!
Mick F. Cornwall
meic

Post by meic »

If you have lots of money you can use a B&M Ride and Charge to recharge 4AA batteries in an Ixon IQ light. You can then use the AA batteries in all your goodies.
Yma o Hyd
minkie

Post by minkie »

meic wrote:The Garmin Etrex range are exceptionally rugged. I still find it hard to get the full (or even useful) benefits of an OS map on a small GPS screen.

That's my experience too.
Also, consider what type of riding you're doing - if you want to navigate along clearly defined paths or paved roads the Memory Map O/S maps clutter up that little screen with details you don't need (e.g. parish boundaries) and not enough of what you do need (e.g. road names).
If you're on road I suspect you'd do better with one of the new Garmin Edge machines.
Bob S

Road angel

Post by Bob S »

Any one tried Satmap Active10 yet? Only snag I see is cost of softwear
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Mick F wrote:Great idea!

When I toured earlier this year, I took my Garmin 305 and my MacBook. The MacBook was needed as the 305 will only record 3 or 4 day's at a time, dependent on how far you go of course! 80 miles a day for 3 days is about it.

Therefore, I had to upload the info before it was lost forever. Hence the MacBook.

Power was also a problem. The 305 will run for 12 hours tops. ie 1 day. The MacBook will run for 6 or more hours, depending on how much you do but generally a great deal less, and it will also charge the 305 from the USB terminal. Hence I didn't need power any more frequently than every 3 days or so.

Don't ask about mobiles phones!

I envisage a dynamo powering a whole suite of technology strapped to the rear rack!

Slightly OT but I use a "PowerMonkey" for my phones, ipod etc, and PDA. If you also want to run/ charge a laptop as well, the bigger "PowerGorilla"could be the answer