Anyone living in new lock down areas?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Pebble

Re: Anyone living in new lock down areas?

Post by Pebble »

Is there really vast amounts of malnourished children out there ? the ones I see seem mostly over-fed, even considerably over-fed. Or is it they have been over-fed on take-aways and crisps and even though they are over weight they are malnourished on good foods?
pwa

Post by pwa »

Pebble wrote:Is there really vast amounts of malnourished children out there ? the ones I see seem mostly over-fed, even considerably over-fed. Or is it they have been over-fed on take-aways and crisps and even though they are over weight they are malnourished on good foods?

There genuinely are families where each day decisions are made about who will eat and which meals will be missed. There are parents who miss meals they need so that the kids can eat. Food banks reduce the problem, but it doesn't feel to me to be good that in the UK in the 21st century there are families reliant on charity for their food. But it is better that the charities plug the gap if our society isn't willing or able to fix it properly.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

There are thousands of hungry kids. Sometimes they have rubbish parenting, but mostly not enough money. And even if rubbish parenting should the kids suffer?
John
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

pwa wrote:
Pebble wrote:Is there really vast amounts of malnourished children out there ? the ones I see seem mostly over-fed, even considerably over-fed. Or is it they have been over-fed on take-aways and crisps and even though they are over weight they are malnourished on good foods?

There genuinely are families where each day decisions are made about who will eat and which meals will be missed. There are parents who miss meals they need so that the kids can eat. Food banks reduce the problem, but it doesn't feel to me to be good that in the UK in the 21st century there are families reliant on charity for their food. But it is better that the charities plug the gap if our society isn't willing or able to fix it properly.

It is just I do not see malnourished people in the Newcastle / Sunderland area which are areas that are far from being well-off. And just wondered if you could be malnourished and over-weight at the same time. I'm always wary of what the media tell me.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:But why are these hard times different than other hard times when there was no celebrity footballer campaigning for free school lunches outside of school terms?

You said it was obvious but saying kids go hungry when they've always have gone hungry doesn't answer the question why it's a big issue now? How many other big issues like this will we suddenly notice in the future that have been around through the ages?

The reason this is more of an issue now is:

a) Kids have been at home more due to schools being shut for months, and during that time the ones who normally benefit from free school meals have not been getting them. There has long been a problem of malnourished kids during school holidays, but that issue has been much more severe this year.

b) Some (but not all) lower income families have seen their income drop due to the economic impact of the Covid restrictions.

It's not rocket science is it?
Though some would have us believe otherwise.
The truth is that families already on low incomes due to the C19 restrictions have been made redundant or had their hours cut and are struggling.
My SinL,an HGV driver,is recovering from C19/Pneumonia and has been in and out of hospital and off work for three weeks(it'll likely be another three weeks befor he's anything like fit again and it could be longer),his wife,my eldest daughter is a manager for dementia patients in a local home and as a consequence hasn't been able to work for those same three weeks.
They're lucky financially,they have family to help out,not everyone is so lucky.

Marcus Rashford began his hi-lighting of the plight of poor families children because he's been there and seen it first hand in his own upbringing.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Pebble wrote:It is just I do not see malnourished people in the Newcastle / Sunderland area which are areas that are far from being well-off. And just wondered if you could be malnourished and over-weight at the same time. I'm always wary of what the media tell me.

Junk food is cheap, makes you fat, does you no good whatsoever. It's heavily advertised and skillfully marketed.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Pebble wrote:
pwa wrote:

It is just I do not see malnourished people in the Newcastle / Sunderland area which are areas that are far from being well-off. And just wondered if you could be malnourished and over-weight at the same time. I'm always wary of what the media tell me.

Yes, being overweight is another kind of malnourished, and as we all know that exists too.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

It's not rocket science but it does seem beyond some to realise that it's been a lot worse in the past. Also it has been an underlying issue for a very long time exasperated no doubt by economic downturns. It just seems to me that it was becoming an issue long before this covid situation which undoubtedly made it worse. But the rise that eased already happening was happening without as much interest as happened post Rashford. It's poor indeed when we're taking notice of problems only when a celebrity kicks off.

BTW anyone actually find out child malnutrition figures going back some time? I've only found ONS figures for 2001 to 2017 which shows an increase throughout that time. I wonder if there was a time that figure was decreasing but my google fu isn't great at the best of times.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pwa wrote:

probably single parent families with just the woman?
pwa

Post by pwa »

mercalia wrote:
pwa wrote:

I don't know if that correct or not. I am going off accounts I have had from teachers (my wife and her colleagues) who hear from the kids what goes on a home. There have been instances of teachers giving their own packed lunches to hungry kids.

Well done to Marcus R for using his celebrity in a good way. He strikes me as being a good lad.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:
pwa wrote:

Yer not judgemental are you :roll:

I was a one parent family 45 years ago.
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:
mercalia wrote:
pwa wrote:There genuinely are families where each day decisions are made about who will eat and which meals will be missed. There are parents who miss meals they need so that the kids can eat. Food banks reduce the problem, but it doesn't feel to me to be good that in the UK in the 21st century there are families reliant on charity for their food. But it is better that the charities plug the gap if our society isn't willing or able to fix it properly.

how is that judgemental? sad that woman who already often get paid less in jobs also have a sole burden of kids. How frequent is the sole dad, not so common?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
mercalia wrote:

how is that judgemental? sad that woman who already often get paid less in jobs also have a sole burden of kids. How frequent is the sole dad, not so common?

Suit yerself,I have my suspicions based on your posting record.
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:
mercalia wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Yer not judgemental are you :roll:

Suit yerself,I have my suspicions based on your posting record.

prejudice
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

I'll be in tier 3 from next Wednesday I assume. Won't alter my behaviour. I shall continue the same stringent social distancing as I have done my very best to follow since March, although I declined to shield.
Whether or not my daily solo rides need to avoid crossing tier borders I have yet to decide.