New Bike Lust

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
cooper_coleraine

New Bike Lust

Post by cooper_coleraine »

I find myself being tempted to buy a new bike. I do not need one and I like the bikes I have. I have two Raleigh Randonneurs (1987 and 1988 models).
Between them they have covered over 100,000 miles and they are in first class order. I have several other good machines. Nevertheless I hanker after a new machine. I have spent this afternoon cleaning them. This always makes me appreciate what I have. Is there a cure or should I give in? I am 82 and should know better. Our 'trade' magazine encourages me to stray. In normal times I do one Scottish tour each year and I cycle everyday for at least 20 miles.
Jdsk

Re: New Bike Lust

Post by Jdsk »

Admirable honesty. : - )

How about adding a recumbent?

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Buy a Moulton.
http://www.moultonbicycles.co.uk/models.html

Not cheap though, and not ideal, but you can get hooked.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Low stocks of bikes and frames everywhere!
peetee

Post by peetee »

[quote="cooper_coleraine”]I have two Raleigh Randonneurs (1987 and 1988 models). I have several other good machines.

Nevertheless I hanker after a new machine.[/quote]

You are deranged and I suggest you seek immediate help.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

'several other good machines'

Please, how many is "several" :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

philvantwo wrote:Low stocks of bikes and frames everywhere!

Buying a Brompton not so easy at the moment
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Find a frame from your youth, 60 or 70s years ago, and build it with all the parts that you could not afford at the time. e.g. I have a 1956 Higgins dripping in 1960s Campag mainly. I certainly could not have dreamed of owning that when I started club riding.
peetee

Post by peetee »

tatanab wrote:Find a frame from your youth, 60 or 70s years ago, and build it with all the parts that you could not afford at the time. e.g. I have a 1956 Higgins dripping in 1960s Campag mainly. I certainly could not have dreamed of owning that when I started club riding.

I have two bikes like that. One is a Condor Professional the other a Colnago Super, both with Campagnolo Super Record groupsets. When they were top machines in the peloton I was bumbling around on a hi-tensile frame, plastic saddle, dual safety levers and stamped steel crankset. I got the Campagnolo parts on the super-cheap through the ‘back room’ of the bike shop I worked in. At the time loads of riders were trading in those parts for the new, aero, Corsa Record group.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

cooper_coleraine wrote:I find myself being tempted to buy a new bike. I do not need one and I like the bikes I have. .

+ 1. Have to admit I'm the "tight" sort of individual, who owns six pairs of socks & 1 carrier bag. And I've never had the slightest interest in mountain bikes - but when a £200.00 mtb was advertised for £130.00 last week, vey unusually mounted with a quality rear deraileur etc, superb looking, flat barred full frame, fantastic colour scheme & shiny parts, I was struggling to resist the temptation to BUY. Thankfully after several days of resistence, the offer had been withdrawn by yesterday morning :(

But as above, a decent clean of an existing machine, stripping the bike down, adjusting it to ensure any excess wear in bearings etc is sorted, always helps (Nb. I need to buy a paint brush today and give the pannier rack a new coat of paint!). And fit a front reflector. Merely wish I hadn't "dumped" my Specialized Tricross framein 2015 when transferring all the parts to a Spa frameset !
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

mercalia wrote:
philvantwo wrote:Low stocks of bikes and frames everywhere!

Buying a Brompton not so easy at the moment

Too right. Moving house end of year and need a brompton to travel to work after that. Unlikely I'll find one.

Secondhand recumbent from d-tek and Kevin I believe. They're fun. Got a touring recumbent for £500 and it's a great touring bike. Great fun riding. Just be prepared for people talking to anyone with you like you're disabled physically or mentally. "It's good they can get out like that!". :lol:
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

cooper_coleraine wrote:I find myself being tempted to buy a new bike. I do not need one and I like the bikes I have. I have two Raleigh Randonneurs (1987 and 1988 models).
Between them they have covered over 100,000 miles and they are in first class order. I have several other good machines. Nevertheless I hanker after a new machine. I have spent this afternoon cleaning them. This always makes me appreciate what I have. Is there a cure or should I give in? I am 82 and should know better. Our 'trade' magazine encourages me to stray. In normal times I do one Scottish tour each year and I cycle everyday for at least 20 miles.

A man of taste and distinction owning Raleigh Randonneurs as I have three:

One Blue 708 circa mid 90’s
Two Red 708 with Magura hydraulic rim brakes from 99/2000.

While Randonneurs (and you have the 531 version) are great bikes, if you want, hanker, or lust after a new one, go for it!

Do you mean a brand new bike or good quality second hand, as the latter is still a new bike.

Indulge yourself as there are some great bikes out there for every type of rider.

If you do get an additional bike, please update the thread.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I had my hand built JRJ - predecessor to Bob Jackson - stolen in the mid 1970s. Recent mention of the Closure of Bob Jackson has made me yearn to rebuild my lost bike. Very unlikely but I can dream.
John
honesty

Post by honesty »

I’m tempted by a new bike... but my wife won’t let me buy a Moto Guzzi ;)
peetee

Post by peetee »

Oldjohnw wrote:I had my hand built JRJ - predecessor to Bob Jackson - stolen in the mid 1970s. Recent mention of the Closure of Bob Jackson has made me yearn to rebuild my lost bike. Very unlikely but I can dream.

Don’t give up. Search the internet. I found my Rick Powell. I didn’t buy it in the end though. I made the mistake of telling the seller it was built for me and as a result he wouldn’t budge on the (already excessive) price.