Can't signal left - turn indicator?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ed_b

Can't signal left - turn indicator?

Post by ed_b »

Morning folks

My other can't signal left and I'm wondering about fitting turn indicators. Anyone any experience of this?

I thought I might possibly cannibalise from a Honda CB125 or similar, though those may be too heavy. A quick search on here suggests there are commercial kits that come and go, too.

But if there's no commercial solution, maybe it's all-round a bad idea?

Thanks for any thoughts.
pwa

Re: Can't signal left - turn indicator?

Post by pwa »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076CQ7VTN/ ... NrPXRydWU=

Not sure how effective these would be though. Or how you activate them
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

WingLights: you tap for indicators and press longer for continuous illumination.

Jonathan
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

They need to be bright because bikes are not expected to have them. I once was about to overtake a bike when at the last second I realised it had a dim RH indicator flashing. The rider had not looked behind.
CyclingGuy

Post by CyclingGuy »

I ride with someone who isn't confident of taking their hands off the bars on anything but the quietest of roads and she has one of these on her bike which works reasonably well. https://amzn.to/2J41EAX
Read about my adventures on the British Cycle Quest at: http://www.quest.nwarwick.co.uk
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I also cannot indicate left easily as I've lost my left arm in an accident.
Due to not being able to alter the balance of the brakes front/back I ride a recumbent trike.
If I need to indicate left then I swing my right arm above my head and point left.
That way it's a very visible movement on my part.

I did think of indicators because I could then indicate and brake/change gear at the same time.
But who looks for them on a push bike.

Luck ............ :D
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Maybe not what you want but I find that sticking a leg out works well, espcially when a right signal is ignored.
alanesq

Post by alanesq »

There is the left indication using right arm as shown in the highway code where it clearly states "used by cyclists", although I suspect most motorists would have no idea what it means
https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/signals ... users.html
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I should have thought when turning left, ensuring somebody in front eg waiting to emerge from your left, was aware of your intentions was more important than following traffic being aware. If so, then the kind of indicators for pedal cycles which only signal behind would be insufficient.

Re the HC, I don't think it's intended that a cyclist should do the rotation of the right arm to signal left. That's for car drivers who cannot usefully stick out their left arm. I'm sure the HC intends that cyclists will use those shown for motorcyclists.

LED lights seem to be improving all the time. If there's a set of indicators available which is visible in front and behind, I think that would be the way to go. Also, those I've seen advertised tend to be in in an all-in-one unit, which might not mean much to a driver at a bit of distance, even if they could see something was flashing. I'd look for something with the indicators as far apart as possible eg bar ends. Perhaps somebody could lash up something DIY. If it's only needed for left turns, then one flasher on that side should be enough.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

I'm afraid the problems associated with the expectations of other road users can't be ignored. Bikes aren't expected to have indicators or brake lights and people often can't comprehend the unexpected and sometimes don't even notice it because they don't look for it..
It gets worse - What is the distinguishing characteristic of a motor vehicles turn indicator? It flashes...
Unfortunately, flashing lights on bicycles have a different, but by now well established use - higher visibility (and extended battery life). There was a time when I used to try to dream up ways of fitting indicators to a bike, but it doesn't strike me as a worthwhile idea these days, even though the technology is much improved.

E bikes have sizeable batteries. I wonder how much that will figure in future regulations for cycle lighting. I am not a fan of ever increasing rules and regulations, but if it was decided that e bikes ought to have lighting sets similar to mopeds that could change the picture for all cyclists.
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
ed_b

Post by ed_b »

This is all very useful - thank you.

I'll take a close look at the suggested kit. Get the point about the unusual nature of the lights and possibly being missed. I'm thinking the closer they approximate motorbike winkers in size, width apart, and behaviour, the better. So I may look for some aftermarket motorbike kit.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

alanesq wrote:There is the left indication using right arm as shown in the highway code where it clearly states "used by cyclists", although I suspect most motorists would have no idea what it means
https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/signals ... users.html

That's how I signalled left turn in the car in which I learned to drive! But I presume would indeed not be understood by majority of current road users.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

djnotts wrote:
alanesq wrote: ... That's how I signalled left turn in the car in which I learned to drive! But I presume would indeed not be understood by majority of current road users.

Me too, and I've never made that signal since the test. If you go back further - and I don't know if this made it into the HC, the drivers of horse-drawn vehicles signalled with their whip, pointing it over their head leftwards for a turn in that direction.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote:Also, those I've seen advertised tend to be in in an all-in-one unit, which might not mean much to a driver at a bit of distance, even if they could see something was flashing. I'd look for something with the indicators as far apart as possible eg bar ends.

WingLights, as above.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Jdsk wrote: ... WingLights, as above. ...

That looks good. If you posted a link I missed it. I just had a skeg at what came up on a quick google for cycle indicators