Card Payment only, No Cash

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Card Payment only, No Cash

Post by mercalia »

It seems that some people are experiencing difficulties in buying things with cash. Any one here have such experiences? I never use a card partly as its easier to keep track of how much money you have for the coming week & partly once upons a time my credit card was copied ( I think at at a petrol station) and some one made purchases using it at the other end of the country and some one made 3x£500 bets with an online betting company ( it was a shock seeing those sums on my card statement). So far no problems at lidl or Sainsburys or M&S. The only time I do use electronic payments is Paypal. I also wont use ATMs outside banks as I understnad in the past thieves have been able to place an insert over the slot where you put the card to read your details.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/10/cash-refusal-threatens-peoples-ability-to-pay-for-food-and-medicine/?

report a cash refusal to Which!
https://action.which.co.uk/page/s/unable-to-pay-with-cash
DaveP

Re: Card Payment only, No Cash

Post by DaveP »

Not as yet, but I think you , well, we need to resign ourselves to the likely disappearance of cash in the foreseeable future. To the banks etc cash handling requires too much expenditure on premises, wages and physical security. To Boris and the boys people with cash are just loose cannons. Could do anything anytime - and thats obviously just Wrong. Except for those who have so much that Swiss banks will put out the red carpet...
Bring back the Gold Standard!
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Sadly this can only get worse because tbh cards are just so much easier.
I've a wallet full of cash from stuff I've sold or money people have given me - I fear it's been in there so long it's no longer legal tender...

Count out and hand over money, wait for change and then fill my wallet with coins? Or, put a card/phone near a device for a fraction of a second.
For me and I suspect lots of others it's simply no contest.

Then of course people worry about security, my card was compromised once. Full marks to the card company they spotted it before I did (although bizarrely they refunded over £700 from a purchase that was genuine even though I'd told them it was).

Lose cash and it's gone forever, cards are simply more secure.
(I do like PayPal for online purchases though, mainly because it has to be authorised online for each purchase)
FerociousDog

Post by FerociousDog »

I use mainly debit card/contact-less now.My banking app notifies me instantly when I've made a purchase.I get a notification on my phone and smart watch.It notifies me about Paypal transactions too.It's also easier to just take a card when out on the bike.
I can't see much of a future for cash but I do think that one should have the choice.Sadly that choice is being taken away under the cover of the pandemic :x
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I pretty much exclusively use contactless, I even paid for my recent car purchase via contactless. That rather impressed the garage.

For people with sufficient wealth (i.e. pretty much everyone on this board) cards are fine... but for those who are living at or below the poverty line cash is an essential budgeting tool.

Cash should not be penalised (as it is with prepayment energy meters), nor should it be prevented.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

At the start of this pandemic I got to grips with ApplePay. I pay for everything now using my phone and unlike scanning a debit card there is no £45 limit. Every transaction readily available to view at any time.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

Paulatic wrote:At the start of this pandemic I got to grips with ApplePay. I pay for everything now using my phone and unlike scanning a debit card there is no £45 limit. Every transaction readily available to view at any time.

And that's just it isn't it, once you get used to (say) Apple Pay there is no turning back?

Approx' three years ago my daughter's boyfriend told me that he used Apple Pay for most purchases. I distinctly remember telling him that I couldn't forsee a time where I would go around paying for everything with a phone. THEN, I got an iPhone that would do Apple Pay and it was game over. I now use it for everything that I can and I've not had one single problem with it.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

With Barclays you can block gambling use for your card along with other options and you can temporary freeze your card. Now whenever you use it now they send you a notification that tells you where you've used and how much you've spent.
Bit like Revolut really.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

There was a guy at our camera club who had some phantom transactions on his card, but when he reported it he just got fobbed off with the "Our system doesn't make mistakes" line.

"In that case, you're accusing me of fraud, why don't you report it to Sgt Bloggs at the police station?"
"Oh, so you know the routine then, do you, sir"
"Well, yes, I would do, I'm a policeman"
"Oh, er, hang on a minute, there is something else we can do...."

So they took his card and investigated. By the time they got back to him, they'd uncovered a gang of employees working in Access HQ cloning fake cards.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Well, I tried to buy sausages at the local butchers a couple of months back (Nb. Saw they'd installed a contactless, reader). Benfited me, due to the butcher throwing the sausages at me on a FOC basis and shouting "I'm not a fu......charity :wink:
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

This morning I went to my cheapo LBS to buy some rim tapes and had to pay £5 in cash (for a pair for 26" wheels) because they don't take cards. They didn't have any for 700c so off I went to the posh LBS and they tried to charge me £22.99 for them; I walked out although I could have paid by card. The posh LBS gets very little business from me!
pwa

Post by pwa »

I have cash lying around all over the house, money that has been given to me for various things but which I have not spent since March because I have been using a debit card instead. I will soon have to make a special masked visit to a bank to get rid of it. I was drifting away from cash anyway but the pandemic has turbocharged the process. I don't want to be handing people slips of plastic cash and getting potentially Covid laced coins back as change.
peetee

Post by peetee »

I have paid for a couple of my grocery trips with cash since COVID. On both occasions there was an element of revulsion in the manner of the cashier when taking my notes as if they were riddled with infection. Strange then that they were happy to handle, without gloves, all the goods that I had just handled.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

peetee wrote:I have paid for a couple of my grocery trips with cash since COVID. On both occasions there was an element of revulsion in the manner of the cashier when taking my notes as if they were riddled with infection. Strange then that they were happy to handle, without gloves, all the goods that I had just handled.

Cash has always been a ripe means for infection transfer - I am surprised that they weren't wearing gloves per customer (or hand washing between). The cash has likely been handled by more people over the previous couple of weeks than anything on the shop shelves historically, but yes. a bit odd
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

seems like I am one of only 2 or so here that uses cash. if you have any cash you dont want email me and I will send you an SAE for the notes :D I only use self service tills at lidl etc so there is no need for any one in the shops to touch the money. re the notes it used to be said that most had a smidgen of cocaine as they were used in the drug trade. So you lot are missing some thing :lol:
Last edited by mercalia on 28 Oct 2020, 3:18pm, edited 1 time in total.