Closure of shared path between Marazion and Penzance

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
RodT

Closure of shared path between Marazion and Penzance

Post by RodT »

As part of a project called 'Experience', involving six areas of the Channel region, the shared path between Marazion and Penzance is to be upgraded. In order for this work to be done, the path will be closed for six months. This is a well-used path, popular with cyclists, runners and dog-walkers. It's part of NCN3. The only alternative route is the very busy Penzance-Marazion road, part of which is the A30.
The path badly needs upgrading. Apart from a short stretch into Penzance, the surface is strewn with loose rocks, in the places where it doesn't run into deep sand. It also runs through a busy car park where cyclists are often forced off the narrow paved section onto concrete cobbles. So things can only be improved (!?) However, a six-month closure seems extreme, especially since there's no safe alternative route. Anyone planning a ride using this route- be aware.
peetee

Re: Closure of shared path between Marazion and Penzance

Post by peetee »

Thank you RodT. I wasn’t aware that path was shared use. I have walked the section between Marazion and Longrock and agree it needs upgrading. It’s not a great walking path in some areas, let alone a shared use path!
PZ really does need a viable alternative to the A30. Negotiating the roundabouts is not for the feint-hearted.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Raskolnikov

Post by Raskolnikov »

Many thanks for the update Rodt. I'm in Penzance and use this path on foot and bike very regularly. I had no idea the closure was occurring and while it is indeed very much due some maintenance, 6 months will be a real inconvenience.
whoof

Post by whoof »

RodT wrote: the shared path between Marazion and Penzance is to be upgraded.

This is a well-used path, popular with cyclists,

Apart from a short stretch into Penzance, the surface is strewn with loose rocks, in the places where it doesn't run into deep sand. It also runs through a busy car park where cyclists are often forced off the narrow paved section onto concrete cobbles.

Thanks for the heads up!

This reminds me of a Halloween special episode of the Simpsons. The narrator says before a commercial break " can you name three popular characters from the series who have died in the last five years?". After the break he says " if you said Bleeding Gums Murphy and (two others I can't remember) then you were wrong, as these characters were never popular.

I've ridden this path once between Penzance and Marazion (and only because I was with a group that wanted to go that way and they are the only people I've even known to use it) but never done the stretch between Newlyn and Mousehole for the reasons you've stated above. I've always ridden through Longrock and on the A30 to Penzance and the other way gone behind Sainsburys and Halfords on Jelbert Way and then to Longrock. If people want route that avoids the A30 they could try the route below.

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/189213
peetee

Post by peetee »

How does that route avoid Ponsandane roundabout? It’s not exactly the easiest part of the A30.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
As a coastal path it's second worse in Devon and Cornwall next to the path that runs from Woolacombe south through the car park.
When I was there two years ago they were working on it on improvements, it will be much better when it's done I'm sure.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
whoof

Post by whoof »

peetee wrote:How does that route avoid Ponsandane roundabout? It’s not exactly the easiest part of the A30.

Take a closer look!
peetee

Post by peetee »

whoof wrote:
peetee wrote:How does that route avoid Ponsandane roundabout? It’s not exactly the easiest part of the A30.

Take a closer look!

This is as close as it will let me get:
7F698C08-6DEC-4AF0-B48F-350D6E687855.jpeg
whoof

Post by whoof »

peetee wrote:
whoof wrote:

Take a closer look!

This is as close as it will let me get:7F698C08-6DEC-4AF0-B48F-350D6E687855.jpeg

Yes, that's what I thought it looked like. It's an alternative to riding along Eastern Green but does include a roundabout. If people want to miss that they can go up into Gulval and use the B3311 to join about 200 m East of the roundabout or even go to Heamoor from Gulval.
sirmy

Post by sirmy »

Will it be closed for six months or is the order valid for a six month period. Its not unusual to find closure orders covering a much greater period than the work is expected to take to allow for problems which weren't apparent before work started or periods of adverse weather which could stop work.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

RodT wrote:The path badly needs upgrading. Apart from a short stretch into Penzance, the surface is strewn with loose rocks, in the places where it doesn't run into deep sand. It also runs through a busy car park where cyclists are often forced off the narrow paved section onto concrete cobbles. So things can only be improved (!?) However, a six-month closure seems extreme, especially since there's no safe alternative route. Anyone planning a ride using this route- be aware.

I really love this route but even with 1.75 x 26 inch tyres the route surface was best described as interesting. A six month closure does seem extreme...
...but we are in a usual situation, building materials are in shorter supply. Building on a nearby access road close to where I live has now ceased due to a shortage of tarmac..
..the route may include building on or close to a shoreline which brings it's own set of unique challenges...
..the route may have to be built of a more exacting standard than a cycle/walking route in land due to the harshness of the conditions
..I hope the route is of equal standard to the views which may be enjoyed from it - I would hate to see the route being rushed and because of it be built in any substandard way :-)
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Imagine what it was like with 23s :(
Bike packing.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
peetee

Post by peetee »

I would guess the closure period allows for a considerable amount of weather-related down time. The onshore wind is gusting up to 40mph today and has been all week.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've cycled Marazion/Penzance/Longrock many times over the years and never found a problem with the main roads.
Never used the path - ever.
Mick F. Cornwall
RodT

Post by RodT »

Comments about harsh weather conditions being the reason for the long timescale of the project seem reasonable. Sometimes you have to sprint between showers of spray flung up by breaking waves if you don’t want your (steel) bike drenched in salt water. Storms can leave swathes of seaweed all over the path, and after high winds a scattering of sand adds to the fun. A public-spirited neighbour can be sometimes be seen trekking along the path with a spade and a broom. This is on the stretch just past the level crossing, heading towards Marazion.
I heard from a Sustrans member that the original reason for not building a reasonable path in the first place was that, as extreme weather conditions increase, the sea would destroy it, like the railway line at Dawlish. But now that the part EU-funded coastal defences have been completed, this is no longer a problem. (Until the next spring tide?) I also heard, from a sceptical fellow-cyclist, that the original contract had not specified how the path should be surfaced. So the contractors just chucked down a load of harsh gravel.
Anyway, I won’t be riding the coast path, or any other route, today. It’s blowing an absolute hooley out there. As for the spectacular views, Mount’s Bay is shrouded in gloom, the Mount itself invisible.