Panic buying, hoarding

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Post by Jdsk »

With what we know at the moment it's logical to build up stocks at home while the supply chains are working.

And leaving it till later might deprive others.

Jonathan
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I was in my lidls yesterday and a couple had 2 of the large trollys over flowing with stuff - either they have a big family or preparing for the worst. I know I am. Trouble is you cant do that to milk or butter or veg and some meat I find dont freeze well eg pork. The Rich Tea are available again, but only a few pkts. so I got 4 to add to my store. Even if things dont go belly up it makes sense to limit visits to the supermarket during the cold and wet season to avoid the double wammy of flu and covid.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Me too, I was in Lidls yesterday. End of a 7 mile walk, couldn't resist the temptation of a decent "luxury"pie for dinner!

Until it became apparent that two out of three aisles were totally blocked by a super length queue for the tills (Nb. Literally twice the length of the store!). The shelves have definately been looking emptier in the pst week and have to admit that unusually, I have stocked up (8-10 days food, rather than 1.5 days. 2 boxes of cereal!)
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I go online one week and Lidl the next, but its always 21.00 - 22.00 its deserted :)
Run out of space in the cupboards for tins of soup / flour etc, freezers (2) are full :?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I'm not stockpiling as such, nor bulk buying (as our house does not have that much food storage space, plus we're in the countryside and don't want to encourage mice), but I am just trying to avoid letting certain staples like flour or yeast getting too low, in case we see more supply chain disruption like earlier.

Elizabeth_S wrote:Our local Lidl has a box for donations for the local food bank, Aldi don't

Our Lidl has a box for donations to some food bank scheme I'd never heard of. Definitely not our local one, so we've been giving money to the food bank instead.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Well I'm at Lidl's next week so I'll have a look in the box see if there's anything I need :mrgreen:
rjb

Post by rjb »

mercalia wrote:I was in my lidls yesterday and a couple had 2 of the large trollys over flowing with stuff - either they have a big family or preparing for the worst. I know I am. Trouble is you cant do that to milk or butter or veg and some meat I find dont freeze well eg pork. The Rich Tea are available again, but only a few pkts. so I got 4 to add to my store. Even if things dont go belly up it makes sense to limit visits to the supermarket during the cold and wet season to avoid the double wammy of flu and covid.

No Aldi rich tea down here, but plenty of ginger nuts. :lol:

Where do rich tea come from, have they been requisitioned by the NHS for the forthcoming influx. :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

The panic has started at my Streatham Lidl

no baked beans, no rice, no pasta, no rich tea and the cooled meat cabinets 1/2 empty

I'll know things are reallt serious when the booze shelves start to empty :lol:
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

I am not surprised-beans are very popular in South London.My son lives in Norwood and has to get them from Sheffield and take down there along with
1.pork pies
2.beer
3.bread cakes and
4.Hendersons
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Apparently one of our local sainsburys was like christmas eve on sunday.
But there was no loo rolls.
Which reminds me I need o buy a turkey b4 they all go.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Did our panic buying last week. New Freezer delivered Thursday is now rammed. Bog rolls abound. Pasta Flour and rice well stocked. But...we are short of tins of chopped tomatoes. They disappear at an alarming rate.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

al_yrpal wrote:Did our panic buying last week. New Freezer delivered Thursday is now rammed. Bog rolls abound. Pasta Flour and rice well stocked. But...we are short of tins of chopped tomatoes. They disappear at an alarming rate.

Al

What's worrying you that requires stocking up? We're nearly out of Europe. We have a world-beating track and trace. What could possibly go wrong?
==============================================

PS We went to our local Sainsburys on Monday morning for our fortnightly shop for two oldies. Unusually busy.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

It is not the few who hoard buy lots that cause shortages, but the many buying a little extra just in case. meanwhile social media spreads the myth that we will run out and everybody buys a little extra then complains about the mythical few.
NUKe

Post by kwackers »

thirdcrank wrote:What's worrying you that requires stocking up? We're nearly out of Europe. We have a world-beating track and trace. What could possibly go wrong?

"nearly out of Europe"!
Quick, where can I buy some more?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

kwackers wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:What's worrying you that requires stocking up? We're nearly out of Europe. We have a world-beating track and trace. What could possibly go wrong?

"nearly out of Europe"!
Quick, where can I buy some more?

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/300297

: - )

Jonathan