Cyclists revenge, good stories, thoughts etc.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Edmundro

Cyclists revenge, good stories, thoughts etc.

Post by Edmundro »

Read the odd snippet about people getting their own back on the motorists that have cut them up/knocked them off/thrown stuff/shouted/generally acted like children etc....

SO, come on then, what did you do? :wink:

Not condoning violence/bad language/public disorder but everyone on here appears to be sensible enough so when things went down i'm sure there was a good reason!

Me first(not overly proud of this one)

Riding down Cambridge Heath road in East London in broad a couple of years back on my bmx when i was repeatedly cut up by a woman swerving in and out of the cycle lane whilst applying lippy(yep, i thought it was just a joke and never really happened too). Having only one badly adjusted brake and being forced to jam my foot in the tyre to stop quick enough really began to freak me out, especially with too much traffic to safely pass.

After then proceeding to nearly go up the back of me at the lights stopping with locked brakes and a screech i'd had enough. Waited for her to pull away ahead before hacking up to full pelt, popping a bunny hop and slamming my rear peg into her passenger door causing a huge scratch and a nice crease. The car was pretty new but had several parking dents so i'm sure 1 more couldn't have hurt too badly. Initially i felt really bad about it but in the end i came to the conclusion that the driver really needed a wakeup call as driving in that manner can't go on.

Moral?
Bmx'rs ride like hooligans(i am reforming slowly), don't cut them up as their bikes can take more of a kicking than most cars. Also, stunt pegs make handy ben hur esque weapons for out on the street.

Come on then, be honest about your retaliations(assuming it won't land you in court) verbal, physical, mental or otherwise
Climbing trees is fun, climbing trees with a chainsaw is another kind of fun entirely
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

This wasn't me and it was a ped rather than a bike.

Many years ago a guy I know was crossing the road, nearly across the other side when a car turned left into the junction quite fast, sounded the horn and slammed on deliberately inches away from my mate.
(Bear in mind visibility was good and the guy would have seen him start to cross from some distance away.)

My mate instantly leapt onto the bonnet and nutted it with his head, rolled over and lay on the floor groaning. The horn and screech brought people running, the guy went ballistic and tried to attack him - he was pulled off.

Result - a nice little insurance payout for my mate (and hopefully someone who learned a valuable lesson).

I keep this in mind should anyone ever get too close... :twisted:
Biscuit

Post by Biscuit »

No, no, no, no, no, no! So very wrong................ an eye for an eye and so on is not the way to go and yet while I find the actions of 'BMXr' less palatable (damn those young trendy ruffians). I find Kwackers's tale most amusing. However, neither causes me much angst in fact Kwacker's has a certain 'justice' about it............... sometimes what seems right at the time is right - at the time. Possibly not the best thread especially as agent Clarkson might be reading.

Now I wonder if my son will miss his stunt pegs.
professorlandslide

Post by professorlandslide »

I must admit, next time some vauxhall pilot is giving me grief and trying to run me off the road, i'm likely to bounce my bar ends off his door and fall to the ground wailing like a professional footballer who's tripped over the ball... :twisted:
meic

Post by meic »

I was walking across a zebra crossing one day and a car drove onto the crossing right in front of me, forcing me to jump back and blocking my way as it passed.
This use of force to so enraged me that I managed to kick it three times, each time hard enough to crumple the body or door panel. I also yelled at the top of my voice " this is a zebra crossing ".
A group of three Police officers turned to see what the fuss was and then turned back to what they were doing. The car driver carried on driving.
There were rather a lot of pedestrians around and I was not the only one that he had been bullying.

That happened in the days before I became a cyclist. I think that as cyclists we have an interest in always staying 100% within the law.
Without the law it is a totally uneven match between cyclist and car.
My ideal revenge on a dangerous car driver would be to see them have their driving licence removed for dangerous driving.
Last edited by meic on 9 Dec 2008, 11:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yma o Hyd
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

Im sorry, much as I enjoy the thought of revenge, it really isnt good Karma you know.

Mary
Dean

Schadenfreude

Post by Dean »

Edmundro wrote:<snip>
Me first(not overly proud of this one)
<snip>

I find that rather hard to believe ;)

I could share similar stories, but despite having a certain satisfaction, they don't present cyclists in the best light, so I'll tell you a tale from my childhood...

I was riding my battered BMX, my first bike. I used to ride miles on the thing, and on this occasion three of us were on a long ride. It actually works out to about 30 miles, but when you're eight that is a long way, and with all the mucking about eight-year-old lads can do, it more than justified the rucksack full of jam sarnies my mam had made up.

We three lads were bashing up this climb..It felt like at least half an Alp, but we were slowly struggling up it. Riding it as an adult, it hardly registers in the same way, but it is quite steep, and you know you've been on a bike ride. My mate Mark was a couple of years older than me, and often shot away, especially up the hills. He was about a hundred yards ahead of me when a car approached. I could hear the driver revving the engine, and had enough awareness of the likely occupants to veer away from it. True enough, the car was full of spotty yoofs (though to my eyes they were enormous) jeering and shouting "Youwannagettacar" and spitting at me. Eurgh. They did the same to Mark up the road, then sped away. Wheels spinning, engine working overtime. Mark dropped back to the two of us and checked we were OK. Apart from being a bit shaken, we were fine.

So we continued the ascent, and at the summit we were presented with one of the most satisfying sights ever to confront me...

The car was halfway through a hedge, and acrid smoke was pouring from the engine. The yoofs were gathered around, sad and lost.

"SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A BIKE!" we shouted as we went past.
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

i put a similar post to this about 6ish months ago....needless to say my roadrage has settled down a little since then :lol:

but....a few interesting thoughts
...if you see the car parked - chewing gum in the keyhole or glue
...cut tyre valves
...key mark

...but dont do any on these - youll only land yourself in trouble
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
Si

Post by Si »

I can see why revenge feels good at the time but on reflection it gains little in many cases - especially those where someone was careless rather than intentionally trying to do you harm.

If you do it a while after the event when the driver has left the car somewhere then how do they know why their car has been damaged? They'll just think it's vandalism.

If you do something like the OP - damage their property - then they'll just think that they are justified in treating cyclists carelessly - after all they now have proof that cyclists behave even worse.

If you must do something then, if possible: better to just explain to them what they did wrong and why. Or report it to the police if it caused you real trouble, or if you are worried that any communication with the driver might further endanger you.

I always feel that if they are as reckless as you think that they are then hitting their car with your bike my end up with them replying in kind....and the cyclist is going to come off much worse.
2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

I take my revenge every commute . . .

. . . by cycling past all the stationary traffic.

That's enough for me.

Though I'd be more than happy to incapacitate any car, by any means if I thought it necessary to protect other road users. Adn I'd be happy to show up in court for it. I'd stick around for the consequences.

Gazza
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
dmiller

Post by dmiller »

Have a read here.

If you work in London or Dublin you'll probably know Canadian Ryan, what you might not know is that he's recently been hit with a bill for about £1000 that, if left unpaid could result in deportation back to the colonies.
One thousand pounds? You ask. Why so much? Well, the sum of £1000 is roughly the amount needed to replace a Mercedes windscreen. It's probably illegal to write details of a pending case but in a nutshell Ryan did what we've all dreamed of doing: Smashing your bike through the window of a car that's just deliberately endangered your life*. Unfortunately now the dust has settled there's the matter of the criminal damage bill which needs to be paid a.s.a.p.

Think twice.
hamster

Post by hamster »

I did once stuff a pork pie up the exhaust of a car that had enraged me, after seeing it parked a while later...the pie was the only thing that came to hand.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

hamster wrote:I did once stuff a pork pie up the exhaust of a car that had enraged me, after seeing it parked a while later...the pie was the only thing that came to hand.

Potatoes are better. I always keep a bag full in my rucksack. :lol:
JQ666

Post by JQ666 »

kwackers wrote:
My mate instantly leapt onto the bonnet and nutted it with his head, rolled over and lay on the floor groaning. The horn and screech brought people running, the guy went ballistic and tried to attack him - he was pulled off.

Was he called Christiano Ronaldo?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

JQ666 wrote:
kwackers wrote:

Was he called Christiano Ronaldo?

That's a football joke isn't it?

Quick google - ah I get it. :wink:

Nah, might have been his dad. (Not legally though - different surname).