A salutary tale......caveat emptor

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
neilob

A salutary tale......caveat emptor

Post by neilob »

Maybe a timely warning for forum users that is even more important during these strange times. This is a short story of a recent transaction during which I bought an item from another forum member. I am not going to name names or describe the item so that it can be identified but I want to highlight the key issues we should consider to protect ourselves. I have been a happy member of the CTC/Cycling UK forum for many years using it to buy and sell many items. Many members have done business with me, all I hope with good experience of a fair and honest deal. So a couple of weeks ago I spotted an item for sale and eventually made an offer which was accepted. As usual, photos were provided along with a glowing description using terminology which implied way above average condition. I paid by bank transfer and after a short delay (and some confusion) the item arrived by courier. Although in reasonable condition, it certainly didn’t match the glowing description provided and it was disappointing. I contacted the seller to express my concerns and request a review and refund on the basis of not matching the description but a door was slammed in my face on the basis that ‘you got a bargain!’. Then he refused to engage in any further debate and doesn’t answer my private messages. Because form members can hide behind anonymity and user names, there is nowhere to go! The only tangible thing I have is the seller’s bank account details which I am asking my bank to intervene and arbitrate. My warning to you all is please use PayPal when buying items, and don’t attempt to save a couple of quid by asking for friends and family. PayPal provides guarantees in the event that items are not as described whereas, of course, bank accounts usually don’t.
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
manc68

Re: A salutary tale......caveat emptor

Post by manc68 »

Sorry to hear that, I’ve bought and sold a number of items over the years and never had a problem. Hopefully your experience is just a glitch
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Yes PayPal all the way.
Just recently brought from a online supplier looks like a large firm but you never know these days.
As soon as I paid they said Nill stock but it was a bargain so I thought I'd hold out for it to arrive.
Time came and went and still no sign of my goods.
so I emailed them eventually I emailed them no less than three times and didn't get any reply whatsoever now three weeks overdue and nearly 2 months from when I paid.
In my last email I warned them I would go for a resolution with PayPal if they did not reply, they did not reply.
But an email from PayPal no doubt sent a rocket up them and they replied to me promptly and said they have my goods do I want them :roll:
my goods arrived in a few days, but they did not reply to the PayPal notice so the case is still open, I had to close it myself yesterday.
Move into the 21st-century :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Sweep

Re: A cautionary tale......caveat emptor

Post by Sweep »

Looks like some replies to your post have vanished.
Mine.
Seems fair to me that a refund should have been allowed if you could come to some arrangement on carriage back.

Questions from me.

Name no names but was this a longstanding poster?

Did they have a history of posting that was primarily in bits of the forum not involved with buying and selling.

I have seen the odd one where either most of their posts are in market areas or their records show that a massive number of their posts appear to have been deleted, which may be an attempt to bury their interests.

I avoid buying from, selling to, let alone giving anything to such folks/shadows.
Sweep
martin biggs

Post by martin biggs »

PayPal will not always be any better speaking from experience .
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Best to arrange to pay after receiving the goods
If they are not as expected one may just return them without paying
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sorry to hear about that.

The Money Advice Service: "Shopping and paying safely online"
https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/shop-safely-online
Although it's mostly about business to customer rather than personal sales.

I was hoping that MoneySavingExpert would have something on using PayPal in the UK but can't find it. It does have two specific warnings:
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/PayPal-Section75/
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/03/paypal-scam-victims-warn-against-fraudsters-who-ask-for--family-/

I mostly use PayPal for this type of payment.

Jonathan
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Strange editing :?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

While not knowing the exact circumstances, I'd have thought the offer of a refund if buyer not delighted would be part of the spirit of friendliness & common interest that underlies interaction amongst members of this group...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
neilob

Post by neilob »

simonineaston wrote:While not knowing the exact circumstances, I'd have thought the offer of a refund if buyer not delighted would be part of the spirit of friendliness & common interest that underlies interaction amongst members of this group...

I deliberately chose not to name the other party in order to keep some faith in our forum. But yes, I agree that some kind of reasonable discussion should have been the outcome. Just to be clear we are talking about an item at several hundred £, not a fairly cheap component! I could provide evidence of the original listing and description along with the actual photographs showing the clear gap between the two. My message is please be careful and don’t assume that everyone has integrity and honesty.
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Sweep wrote:Looks like some replies to your post have vanished.

The OP started two threads with slightly different topics but the same body. May be the missing replies are on the other thread. We need a mod to merge them
Richard M
Cardiff
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

The obvious risk is the fact that membership of this forum is entirely open and unchecked. Members could be anybody... their motives, wide & varied. Without wishing to sound like what I'm going to sound like, things ain't what they used to be.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I'm new around here. Was participation previously restricted?

Thanks

Jonathan
neilob

Post by neilob »

simonineaston wrote:The obvious risk is the fact that membership of this forum is entirely open and unchecked. Members could be anybody... their motives, wide & varied. Without wishing to sound like what I'm going to sound like, things ain't what they used to be.

If I remember correctly, there was a debate some years ago whether forum members should also have to be Cycling UK members. This would stop poor behaviours and ensure some form of arbitration if necessary. But.....this isn’t just about me or my experience, it’s about you and yours!
rjb

Post by rjb »

I much prefer to pay and receive funds by a bank transfer. I am happy to trust people on this forum but there's always some rotten eggs, fortunately I haven't encountered any yet. As for PayPal there was some discussion recently on the merits of using it here - viewtopic.php?t=141680

As has been pointed out take every sensible precaution and caveat emptor.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D