N Plus X: how many cycles do you own? Vote now please

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

How many rideable cycles do you own?

None
No votes
One
6%
Two
13%
Three
20%
Four
12%
Five
12%
Six
10%
Seven
4%
Eight
3%
Nine or more
19%

Total votes: 113

smcknighty

Re: N Plus X: how many cycles do you own?

Post by smcknighty »

Had some awkward questions from wife and child at the weekend about this topic. How much did bike x cost, what’s the reason for the different bikes. Glad I’m not alone in my collection. I’m actually about to ebay a couple that I don’t use and won’t use, one folder (days of commuting are gone) and one full sus bike (just don’t use it and it’s a shame for it not to be ridden) then I need a better road bike and I can retire my current one to be the winter road bike. I only have 6, the full sus isn’t technically in one piece currently.

For those that ride off road (and on in the winter) how many clean bikes do you have? I have one but it’s the turbo trainer one. With the time crunch of work, wife, home and small child when I have the choice of ride or clean I choose ride.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Thread resurrection alert

Anyone not voted yet? Hoping for a hundred votes to make statistical analysis easy

Thanks in advance
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

I voted , just to help with your statistical analysis. Those with nine bikes or more need counselling, as do those with none. Nobody admitted to having none, but maybe some were too ashamed to say.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Ashamed? I bet a few people using E-bikes have leased them and do not own them

Fortunately I am within the average range, no need to consult my psychiatrist, but I do have too many books :wink:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

pwa wrote:I voted , just to help with your statistical analysis. Those with nine bikes or more need counselling, as do those with none. Nobody admitted to having none, but maybe some were too ashamed to say.

Need counselling? Whatever for? Some people like to fettle, others loan out bikes, or keep them for friends & family who can't be bothered, but might be talked into a ride now and again. The number of bikes I have has varied over my life. There have certainly been times that I had more than 9, but I didn't intend to ride all of them. I gave them to good homes.

I said 6, but honestly, I could have said more. Or less. My MTB, Mr. V uses more than I do. But I also didn't count the bikes we've usually got around that no one rides, or that need repair. Right now, we have 3 youth bikes that I will give away. A couple of them, I want to do some repair work to before I do so. We also have Mini V's old bike, but it is a 1960s Dawes, and neither she, nor I want to give it away. Mr. V's pub bike needs a new rear derailleur, but I haven't bothered with it because he seems to prefer the MTB & it's actually a bit small for him, anyway.

People just give me bikes, mostly kids & youth bikes. I fix them up & give them to the school's active travel group, to pass on to kids who will benefit.

And honestly, if I hadn't moved countries a couple of times, I'd probably have more bikes. When I moved from England, I gave my 'extra' bikes & some spare parts to Re-cycle (bikes for Africa).
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pwa

Post by pwa »

Vorpal wrote:
pwa wrote:I voted , just to help with your statistical analysis. Those with nine bikes or more need counselling, as do those with none. Nobody admitted to having none, but maybe some were too ashamed to say.

Need counselling? Whatever for? Some people like to fettle, others loan out bikes, or keep them for friends & family who can't be bothered, but might be talked into a ride now and again. The number of bikes I have has varied over my life. There have certainly been times that I had more than 9, but I didn't intend to ride all of them. I gave them to good homes.

I said 6, but honestly, I could have said more. Or less. My MTB, Mr. V uses more than I do. But I also didn't count the bikes we've usually got around that no one rides, or that need repair. Right now, we have 3 youth bikes that I will give away. A couple of them, I want to do some repair work to before I do so. We also have Mini V's old bike, but it is a 1960s Dawes, and neither she, nor I want to give it away. Mr. V's pub bike needs a new rear derailleur, but I haven't bothered with it because he seems to prefer the MTB & it's actually a bit small for him, anyway.

People just give me bikes, mostly kids & youth bikes. I fix them up & give them to the school's active travel group, to pass on to kids who will benefit.

And honestly, if I hadn't moved countries a couple of times, I'd probably have more bikes. When I moved from England, I gave my 'extra' bikes & some spare parts to Re-cycle (bikes for Africa).

I was only joking. But even so, you can get help with that.....

I have a couple of fully working bikes and I am giving the unused one to my son who might have more use for it than I do. Apart from that we have a few more bikes in the garage but they are not mine. Like yourself, I end up being the bike mechanic for others. I don't see the point in collecting stuff that doesn't get used.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

pwa wrote:I have a couple of fully working bikes and I am giving the unused one to my son who might have more use for it than I do. Apart from that we have a few more bikes in the garage but they are not mine. Like yourself, I end up being the bike mechanic for others. I don't see the point in collecting stuff that doesn't get used.

The 6 I included in my vote are the ones I do use.
road bike / commuter
touring / best bike
MTB
folder
hybrid / winter
tandem

Three of them have been out in the last week. The hybrid won't come out until the ice does, and then the tourer will not see light of day until spring. I have winter tyres for the hybrid, MTB, and tandem, though they haven't gone on the tandem yet. The folder needs some work, but I'm struggling to find time for stuff like that at the moment.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I ride fixed mostly, not sure I can remember how to ride with a freewheel
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I ride fixed mostly, not sure I can remember how to ride with a freewheel

Just stop pedalling when you go downhill :lol:
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi All, Sadly, according to SWMBO says one too many! Well I just couldn't resist buying a "Rocking Horse Droppings" trike? So unless I wish to sleep in an even more space congested workshop on must go!
I tried to sit on my hands over the newby, but I'm weak :oops: .
Wife forgive me for I know not what I do :| . TTFN MM
Cyril Haearn

Re: N Plus X: how many cycles do you own? Vote now please

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Still waiting for someone to vote 'zero', there must be some €-bikers buying on HP who do not own their machines
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

98 votes here, for how many cycles one has

But 135 voted on whether they want to be innoculated against the virii

Seems a bit queer on a cycling forum
Vote now please!
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Cyril, Nice one Cyril, remember that ad?
But what I particularly like is that it states "Cycles" not "Bikes"! Very correct. MM, Trikiie.
Chris56

Post by Chris56 »

Just voted - like 20% of you I own 3:
1 x road
1 x mountain
1 x SS
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

Interesting profile emerging here--I am surprised to see I am in such a minority group :-) with just the one bike!

It serves me well though...

strangford lough.jpg

cheers,

Keith