Even Mr Farage has a go

Oldjohnw

Even Mr Farage has a go

Post by Oldjohnw »

John
Phil Fouracre

Re: Even Mr Farage has a go

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Hilarious! Although I do like the ‘Schrodingers cyclist’, I’ll have to remember that one:-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
mjr

Post by mjr »

Farage has previously stood for election on similar policies, including making cycle path use compulsory, even the crap ones.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Usual principle: find someone different and exaggerate and HATE THEM.

See also Leaving the EU, immigration, Trumpery...

But the real test of enlightenment is to read the article again and see if there are some sensible nuggets in there...

Jonathan
pwa

Post by pwa »

That Guardian piece refers to Vehicle Excise Duty (VED), which I thought was now just Vehicle Tax.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

The paying for road use argument is nonsense at every level, regardless of the terminology used.

I have paid no "road use tax" for any of my last 4 cars, including my current one.
John
pwa

Post by pwa »

Oldjohnw wrote:The paying for road use argument is nonsense at every level, regardless of the terminology used.

I have paid no "road use tax" for any of my last 4 cars, including my current one.

You are making the mistake of engaging with his arguments. It isn't worth it. You have more rewarding things you could be doing with your time.
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

pwa wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:The paying for road use argument is nonsense at every level, regardless of the terminology used.

You are making the mistake of engaging with his arguments. It isn't worth it. You have more rewarding things you could be doing with your time.

Whilst this may be true, I fear that now Farage is looking for another purpose in life he is quite capable of whipping up hysterical emotions and causing a lot of damage.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

wondering why you thing the Guardian piece is misinformed.

Farage is an opportunist who uses the Popular rants to feather his own nest
NUKe

Post by Jdsk »

flat tyre wrote:
pwa wrote:

Whilst this may be true, I fear that now Farage is looking for another purpose in life he is quite capable of whipping up hysterical emotions and causing a lot of damage.

That looks like the smart bet.

Jonathan
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

NF has now lost any (small) credibility he had IMHO
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'll predict that Farage will continue to get media exposure, not least to provide some sort of illusion of balance on discussion panel programmes and plenty of people will continue to believe he is right.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Like wot Nuke said - as far as I can tell, Farage's sole purpose in life is to whip up populism to use as his main tool to protect his off-shore investments. This he does so he doesn't have to pay tax. And he has the timerity to pose as someone who has a valid opinion on UK tax matters... Hypocrit. Worse than Johnson, who is simply playing at trying to be Winston Churchill, and as such is a fantasist.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote:Farage has previously stood for election on similar policies, including making cycle path use compulsory, even the crap ones.

I've yet to see one of his "policies" that isn't crap.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pwa wrote:

The difficulty with such situations is they are being presented very prominently and if counter arguments are not presented some/many Farange/Johnson sympathisers will take that to re-enforce their case. Similarly, others (neutral on Farange) may start to "why should cyclists take roads paid for by drivers ..." or think they'll have less room/convenience for their SUV. So don't counter the arguments and some will accept his flawed statements but counter his arguments and, as you say you give them more air and credence (as you have found them worth debating).

A bit of a Catch 22?

Ian