Coronavirus cafes

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
eileithyia

Re: Coronavirus cafes

Post by eileithyia »

We had a mixed variety of hens visit us at our cafe today; picnic table near Pilling on the Fylde as we did park and ride for a change from the same routes out of home as we can now drive a short distance to exercise.

We also watched hunting Kestrel, saw Oystercatchers, Jays and lots of Buzzards.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Stoat are larger

Need to see them side by side to decide this :D
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Grandad wrote:
Stoat are larger

Need to see them side by side to decide this :D

Not really, weasels are tiny.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I stopped at Southport below the sea wall, and on the edge of the salt marsh yesterday. I dined off a plastic crate handily put in place by the last winter storm/ spring tide. I was there around the time of high tide, and the sea was over half a mile away as normal. It's amazing what gets carried ashore, great drifts of dead vegetation, piles of sand over the wall, large tree trunks etc being very common, (a rather sinister looking one pictured here - bleached white) and bizarrely, yesterday, a pet's (presumably) headstone. I supose there's the faint possibility it was placed there by a retired Chancellor of the Exchequer or a local estate agent, most unusual anyway.
The power of the sea.
P1130576.JPG

P1130585.JPG

P1130564.JPG
Nu-Fogey
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

IMG_20200519_154628_534.jpg

Mainland side of Holy Island Causeway then overlooking Cheviots. I didn't cross the Causeway out of respect for the wishes of the island community
Attachments
IMG_20200519_155352_633.jpg
John
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Mainland side of Holy Island Causeway then overlooking Cheviots.

I've never stayed in Northumberland, it looks a lovely part of the country.
Nu-Fogey
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

It is, and Newcastle to Edinburgh is a great trip. (And the only one we've ever done as a family camping tour on two tandems.)

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

1589977929372_0_IMG_20200518_105952407_MP.jpg

Even before current difficulties you could ride or walk all day and hardly see a soul. This a walk on Monday - my car at the valley bottom.
John
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I stopped for a cuppa 'n sarnie at this sculpture of two fish circling on the towpath near Burscough. I've cycled past this many times but being the the unobservant type I hadn't noticed the fish motif before. It looks like people have had fires in the centre, it's just the right height for a sit-down sandwich or even a campfire sing-song. It's called 'Lathom Fish'.
I think the fish have a bit of a 'Jaws' vibe.
Note the angler in the background after somewhat smaller fry, with a long carbon-fibre rod to reach by the far bank.

The sculpture was carved by Thompson Dagnall from stones at the location ( there are still old blocks laying about nearby). He's a talented professional sculptor judging by this, and other works on his website and looking at a google image search. A tough job working stone outside in all weathers I should think. The late Tam White's 'Stonemason's Blues' came to mind whilst writing this, he was a stonemason.
P1140905.JPG

P1140903.JPG

https://www.sculpturecarving.com/lathom-fish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxBX_q31MHo
News of Bob Jackson's forthcoming close-down have made me dust down my BJ Special Tourist having ridden mostly wider tyred bikes in recent times, most enjoyable slithering along the greasy towpath on 28mm Supremes (plenty good enough really). Good luck to them in their retirement. It's given me much pleasure over the years.
Nu-Fogey
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Been revisiting some of mine. Need to sit on a poly bag now as they are a bit wet and some muddy.
Discovered this the hard way :D