Have you ever taken part in a cycle race?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.

Have you ever taken part in a cycle race?

Road Race
13%
Time-trial
27%
Mountain bike
6%
Track
6%
Other
3%
Never raced
45%

Total votes: 67

whoof

Re: Have you ever taken part in a cycle race?

Post by whoof »

alexnharvey wrote:Does "Silly Commuter Racing" count?

If you can post a link to the SCR governing body?
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

As with other posters I have ridden timetrials, road races and track, both here and abroad. For most of us, time trials are the easiest to access so that is my majority.

I regard racing as just another aspect to cycling and it wasn't until the advent of cycling forum that I became aware that so many people have experience of so little in cycling. I've seen responses that say "I only commute, so that's all I care about" or " I only race". I started riding in the 1960s with a CTC DA, and like most of my friends I experienced everything from commuting to international touring to local club rides etc
rjb

Post by rjb »

Boring_Username wrote:I've done a few audaxes. Some people there seemed to think it was a cycle race.

They were described to me on one occasion as a race for failed road racers. :lol:

Lots of people pay good money to ride Sportive type events. In the past they were free and known as club runs. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

rjb wrote:They were described to me on one occasion as a race for failed road racers. :lol:

Lots of people pay good money to ride Sportive type events. In the past they were free and known as club runs. :lol:

Sportives are for people who pretend they're racing.
Audaxes are for people who pretend they're not racing.

:lol:

As for the question, I've done road, MTB, CX, track... Even did one TT once which certainly makes my top 5 most awful experiences on a bike ever to the extent that I swore I would never do another ever again.
So I've not bothered to vote!
mjr

Post by mjr »

whoof wrote:

ItsNotARace.org
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

i selected road race but i've time trialled, roller raced, dipped a toe in cyclo cross and track and done a few RTF's (think road race with rider numbers in the hundreds - a sportive with a winner if you like). So yes, over the years i've taken part in hundreds of cycle races, even won a couple. First 'official' competitive event, a 10 miler in 1976, last a German RTF in 2019 (Covid having killed all my 2020 plans).

At the same time, i've always done day rides/tours alongside 'race training' although it took me a while to get into full on unsupported touring trips :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
PH

Post by PH »

My local CTC MG has Cycle Bingo about once every decade, does that count? The annual Freewheel and Hill Climb certainly should, some people take it very seriously.
Herts Audax

Post by Herts Audax »

Audax is definitely not a race unless you are doing it wrong.
whoof

Post by whoof »

mjr wrote:
whoof wrote:

ItsNotARace.org

Waste of a link. SCR is haphazard not organised. Can you find a link to the Norwegian U23 men's SCR champion for 2005? Might give you something to pass half an hour.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

In my teens I raced in several massed starts. My most vivid memory was the tour of Ashdown Forest.

Massed starts, the bunch and the bonk were words that seem to have slipped out of use.. :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Over 500 time trials on solos, tandems and trikes. Most memorable (for good reasons)was a 24hour on a trike.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

whoof wrote:
mjr wrote:
whoof wrote:

ItsNotARace.org

Waste of a link. SCR is haphazard not organised. Can you find a link to the Norwegian U23 men's SCR champion for 2005? Might give you something to pass half an hour.

Are you adding an scr option or not? :lol:
whoof

Post by whoof »

alexnharvey wrote:
whoof wrote:
mjr wrote:ItsNotARace.org

Are you adding an scr option or not? :lol:

No, that would be silly.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

another useless survey as not able to tick more than one option ie, road race, time trial, and track...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Not intentionally, but I've found myself riding in the middle of a race by accident a few times.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche