mudflaps / extra bit for mudguard

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
sevenhills

mudflaps / extra bit for mudguard

Post by sevenhills »

Hi

Some years ago they used to sell, like mud flaps for bikes. Just oval plastic mud gaurds all in different designs. Are they still available anywhere? My mudgaurds are getting old and chipped at the end, and might be ok with a refurb.
robgul

Re: mud gaurd ends

Post by robgul »

Yes you can get them in plastic .. and for the Rolls Royce of mudflaps you can get one from Brooks in leather. [I've just made 3 pairs of leather mudflaps by making a template in cardboard and then using a very old leather music case cut some out - just a couple of nuts and bolts and they look great ... and work]

The alternative of course is the good old Fairy Liquid bottle cut and fashioned into a mudflap ... I think the CTC has the patent on that :)

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if you have a choice, choose polyethylene or polypropylene sheet material for your DIY plastic mudflap; it is more likely to last well than some other plastics.

You might get a couple of years out of a leather mudflap, I guess, depending on use and leather quality.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The other thing that makes good mudflaps is the reflective strips from hi-viz clothing. I used to know someone who made them from aluminium drinks cans, as well.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:.... I used to know someone who made them from aluminium drinks cans, as well.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Builders DamProof Course(DPC) Make excellent mudflaps,ask a Brickie for some.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
jezer

Post by jezer »

I made some out of margarine tub lids once. Lasted for years :shock:
Power to the pedals
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I've recently bought one from SJS as part of a larger order. Really nice, looks much more resiliant that the original and is keeping the trailer pretty dry.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
nomm

Extra bit of front mudguard?

Post by nomm »

I am currently running 28c and SKS longboard raceblade XL - I have run 25c with fitted full length mudguards, but prefer a 28mm during the winter months and make the sacrifice of less coverage.

I have a dynamo wheel and have a edelux II, which is getting a bit caked in mud atm and wonder if there are any hacks or bits to purchase to just add to the front to help with this?
Jdsk

Re: Extra bit of front mudguard?

Post by Jdsk »

Could you add a photo of the current set-up?

It sounds as if you want more width but not more length?

How about a shield for the lamp?

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

nomm wrote:I have a dynamo wheel and have a edelux II, which is getting a bit caked in mud

From the muck that's coming out the front of the guard?
I don't think there is an answer to that, I've had some guards that extend considerably further out the front than others and still get it. I'd guess that it's possible, but would need the guard to extend way down the wheel needing extra stays. Luckily the light is well sealed, if it's that bad during a ride I just squirt some water out of my bottle at the lens.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If I've understood you correctly, you want something to stop the wet and muck splashing out sideways from your front wheel. I've used what seems to be called a dress guard and is intended for the rear wheel but on the front. Here's an example on eBay but anybody with a bit of waterproof fabric and a sewing machine could run one up in no time.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-BELV ... xyLiJR0xvG
pwa

Post by pwa »

As an alternative you might consider putting the lamp at little higher, out of the firing zone. I fitted one of these to a bike and it clamps to the bar on both sides of the stem and allows the actual lamp to be directly in front of the stem clamp and with the top of the lamp about level with the top of the bar. If you don't use a bar bag it puts the lamp in a really good place. If you do use a bar bag it is no use whatsoever.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lighting-sp ... g-bracket/
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

I've often wondered if a small flap or brush at the front would help with blow back from the front of the guard, a bit like the 'tyre wipers' for preventing punctures. It would be very handy in heavy rain but quite likely to clog with mud.

I've never noticed much spray from the side of the guard even if they are barely bigger than the tyre because the vast majority of water is thrown from the centre of the tyre and forwards
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If I've got hold of the wrong end of the stick, then there used to be something called IIRC a spearpoint mudguard extension which projected forward from the fork crown. I've had a bit of a look online but there seem to be so many bits and pieces intended to keep the muck off anybody intent on not fitting mudguards that I've given up.
====================================================================
PS Found one but it's gone. At least it confirms I'm not dreaming

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Blue ... 3704315682
rjb

Post by rjb »

I've got the same issue with spray in Somerset on rural roads. I can see a jet of water exiting the front mudguard in line with the centre rib on the tyre so wider guards may not be much help, Inevitably some of this spray gets blown back onto my fork crown mounted light. Bending the mudguard down so it sits closer to the tyre at the furthest front has reduced the spray but not cured it. I used a hot air paint stripper with care to soften the guard before bending. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D