Hot food on rides...

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Rmr25

Re: Hot food on rides...

Post by Rmr25 »

TrevA wrote:
simonhill wrote:I've seen cyclists sipping something from small stainless steel vacuum flasks. Never bothered myself, but did buy one of these flasks for a walking friend.

They should (or plus padding) fit in a bottle cage and aren't expensive. See this 3 quid one from Wilkos https://www.wilko.com/wilko-500ml-stain ... lsrc=aw.ds

Surely the easiest solution.

I have a similar Thermos flask. To stop it getting scratched and to get a better fit in the bottle cage I put the flask in an old sock. I can’t abide drinking a cold drink on a cold day. I’m toying with getting a Deboyo bottle flask so that I can have hot Ribena on a ride.

Hot Vimto for winter drink.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

whoof wrote:to me powdered milk is like white water

The thing with powdered milk is that it's almost all skimmed milk, which will be why it doesn't taste as bad as UHT or proper milk that's been festering in the flask all morning.
Full fat powder is available (Nido), but it's surprising how much of it you need, and there's also the problem of getting it to mix in properly, without getting lumps that are gooey on the outside and still powder on the inside.
Rmr25

Post by Rmr25 »

andrew_s wrote:
whoof wrote:to me powdered milk is like white water

The thing with powdered milk is that it's almost all skimmed milk, which will be why it doesn't taste as bad as UHT or proper milk that's been festering in the flask all morning.
Full fat powder is available (Nido), but it's surprising how much of it you need, and there's also the problem of getting it to mix in properly, without getting lumps that are gooey on the outside and still powder on the inside.

With Nido I find that if you mix it with a little cold water before you make your brew it's fine.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Had an excellent picnic this afternoon – homemade lentil soup, bread, flask of coffee, chocolate. Bit too chilly to hang about though.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

st599_uk wrote:It definitely used to be about the type of premises, there was a specific ban on fish and chip shops frying fish on Sunday, from Hansard:

"The Bill would allow a fish and chip shop to sell fish and chips on a Sunday. You will know, Mr. Speaker, that at the moment a Chinese take-away can sell fish and chips while a fish and chip shop cannot. The fish and chip shop, on the other hand, may sell Chinese take-away goods on a Sunday."

I'll ask my mum what the chippy at the top of our road used to do where she worked PT on occasion, given the St.Andrews docks (Hull) were less than a mile away the fish was as fresh as it could be and some of it likely caught by the old man. I don't recall it ever being open on a Sunday BITD but then I was merely a whipper snapper and used to be at the rugby on a sunday afternoon.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Can someone tell me what powdered milk is made from, please?
John
paddler

Post by paddler »

Oldjohnw wrote:Can someone tell me what powdered milk is made from, please?

I thought it was skimmed milk which was dried and powdered somehow. I've used it loads of times on hiking trips and it was ok enough, but it was the skimmed bit I never liked. Couldn't find full fat dried milk though. Ironic since it's all I have now since having some chest pains back in March!

Dave
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Milk evaporated to dryness:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powdered_milk

But for various reasons (including allergies, perceived allergies, processing technology and market forces) there's a whole lot of variably milkish constituents that can also be used.

Jonathan
Rmr25

Post by Rmr25 »

paddler wrote:

I thought it was skimmed milk which was dried and powdered somehow. I've used it loads of times on hiking trips and it was ok enough, but it was the skimmed bit I never liked. Couldn't find full fat dried milk though. Ironic since it's all I have now since having some chest pains back in March!

Dave

Nido full fat from Asda and some Asian shops are my goto places.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Constituents of Nido:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nido_(brand)

I can't find anything for Nido Full Fat... should that be Full Cream?
https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/taste-of-the-world/nido-instant-full-cream-milk-powder-400g-7923918-p
also contains soy lecithin.

Jonathan
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

nirakaro wrote:Had an excellent picnic this afternoon – homemade lentil soup, bread, flask of coffee, chocolate. Bit too chilly to hang about though.

Flasks of tea and homemade cakes in a bus shelter to keep out of the wind.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Not all powdered milks are created equal. Most powered milk is just the food industry monetising what's left over after they remove all the elements that have nutrional value, to make other processed food products. However some powdered milk products are full cream, Nido being one example. Other benefits include added vitamins inc. D - I agree you always seem to need more than expected.
As an amusing aside, I ask readers to imagine the reaction of the border guards twixt Mexico & Guatemala, on discovering a) my bag of milk powder and b) my companion's hypodermic syringes... she having an autoimmune blistering condition.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

bringing this thread back on track - Flask of hot water, cup, spoon, jar of bovril (or a couple of Oxo cubes)
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Condensed milk in tubes. All your milk problems sorted in one squirt.

Rarely available in the UK, but an easy and useful way of carrying milk (and sugar). You just add a squirt to your drink to milk and sweeten in one go. This sort of milk is the norm in much of Asia and you (have to) get used to the sweetness. It would probably make a good anti-bonk emergency resource.

Bizarrely in Asia it is often not milk, but veg based (think CoffeeMate).

As an aside, I use it for my morning porridge when on tour. Boiling water in stainless bowl, a squirt of 'sticky milk' then add oats. Stir and wait a couple of minutes. Add raisins and banana.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

simonhill wrote:Condensed milk in tubes. All your milk problems sorted in one squirt.

Rarely available in the UK, but an easy and useful way of carrying milk (and sugar). You just add a squirt to your drink to milk and sweeten in one go. This sort of milk is the norm in much of Asia and you (have to) get used to the sweetness. It would probably make a good anti-bonk emergency resource.

Bizarrely in Asia it is often not milk, but veg based (think CoffeeMate).

Perhaps not so bizarre when the majority of the population may be lactose intolerant in parts of Asia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose_i ... idemiology

- Nigel