Is Trump Mad?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Is Trump Mad?

yes
65%
no
25%
maybe
6%
maybe not
2%
dont know
2%

Total votes: 143

kylecycler

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Post by kylecycler »

reohn2 wrote:Does this ring any UK bells?
https://youtu.be/sTBe5ztau-E

That's a brilliant video, thanks for posting. Joe Biden and Kamala Harris and the Democratic Party are the heroes until they've defeated Trump; after that they aren't really.

Fact it, though, it's hard to see how Bernie Sanders - or Elizabeth Warren, who I hoped would be President - would be likely to have been elected, realistically, so we'd have been stuck with Trump for another four years and it could have been curtains for the US and the rest of us.

Warren's a Democrat, of course, but so are 'The Crew' - AOC, Tlaib and Omar - and the rest of the progressives in the party. Change, if it happens, will come from within.
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Imagine what Justin Trudeau would do if Trump tried to take (or retain) the White House by force?
He would close the border and end all trade. IMHO

Due to Covid-19 restrictions border crossings into Canada are already stopped for anything except commercial shipments, but as for ending all trade … we are inextricably entwined with —some would say subjugated to— the economy of our gigantic neighbour to the south. The Americans have a tendency, accelerated by the unpredictability of the Trump administration, to honour their trade agreements more in the breach than the observance. When Canada objects to some new U.S. tariff that breaks a trade agreement the Americans shrug and say, "So sue us." This we do, generally with success in a judgement by the World Trade Organization after months or even years of legal argument. A few months after that the tariff will be reimposed and again kept in place until the WTO declares it illegal. (Does this sound familiar?)

If you are contemplating trade agreements with the U.S. I urge you to contemplate this comment by Justin's father Pierre to the Washington Press Club:
Living next to you is in some ways like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly and even-tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is affected by every twitch and grunt.

Or, to quote a contemporary political observer renowned for sagacity: "Gang warily."
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

djnotts wrote:

Absolutely bang on. Whoever you vote for, in any country, capitalism wins. Johnson/Starmer, Trump/Biden, no change. That's why Corbyn had to be destroyed.

My thoughts exactly,democracy has been bought formtheir own ends by people with huge amounts on money at their disposal.
Of course the rightwing leaning element will denign it but it's the truth.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

kylecycler wrote:

That's a brilliant video, thanks for posting. Joe Biden and Kamala Harris and the Democratic Party are the heroes until they've defeated Trump; after that they aren't really.

Fact it, though, it's hard to see how Bernie Sanders - or Elizabeth Warren, who I hoped would be President - would be likely to have been elected, realistically, so we'd have been stuck with Trump for another four years and it could have been curtains for the US and the rest of us.

Warren's a Democrat, of course, but so are 'The Crew' - AOC, Tlaib and Omar - and the rest of the progressives in the party. Change, if it happens, will come from within.

The Crew and Bernie Sanders have as always an uphill struggle,but whenever I see or hear them skeak I'm inspired,no mealy mouth apologies or ducking issues where they stand! :wink:
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Crowd gathering in DC...

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mistik-ka wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:Imagine what Justin Trudeau would do if Trump tried to take (or retain) the White House by force?

Due to Covid-19 restrictions border crossings into Canada are already stopped for anything except commercial shipments, but as for ending all trade … we are inextricably entwined with —some would say subjugated to— the economy of our gigantic neighbour to the south. The Americans have a tendency, accelerated by the unpredictability of the Trump administration, to honour their trade agreements more in the breach than the observance. When Canada objects to some new U.S. tariff that breaks a trade agreement the Americans shrug and say, "So sue us." This we do, generally with success in a judgement by the World Trade Organization after months or even years of legal argument. A few months after that the tariff will be reimposed and again kept in place until the WTO declares it illegal. (Does this sound familiar?)

If you are contemplating trade agreements with the U.S. I urge you to contemplate this comment by Justin's father Pierre to the Washington Press Club:
Living next to you is in some ways like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly and even-tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is affected by every twitch and grunt.

Or, to quote a contemporary political observer renowned for sagacity: "Gang warily."

Frankly I wouldn't trust the US in the same way I wouldn't trust China.
Soon the UK will be alone in a cold deep sea full of sharks!
W H Auden
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Mistik-ka wrote:

It's interesting to hear from you on "the inside".

My supposition about what Canada would do in the event of an American President seizing power by force was speculation from far away of course.

In some ways though you only portray what happens in "normal times".
Not the scenario I was thinking ( briefly) about.

I have to say that the USA doesn't sound like the most enjoyable or trustworthy of trading partners though!

What do YOU think Trudeau would do in the unthinkable event of an unelected power coup in the USA?

Come to think of it, are there not big oil pipelines that run across your territory? :shock:
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

PDQ Mobile wrote:It's interesting to hear from you on "the inside".

Not inside, but next door (which is quite close enough).

What do YOU think Trudeau would do in the unthinkable event of an unelected power coup in the USA?

My best guess is that our current government would try to follow the 'rule of law' as they have done in other international disruptions. This would mean following guidelines laid down by the United Nations (from which the U.S.A. would almost certainly withdraw if they weren't given what they wanted). We would probably accept American political refugees as we did during the Vietnam War and from other nations in the throes of civil unrest since that time. In the event of an invasion by an American government of some sort …………………… resistance would hardly be possible. Try to wait it out while they fight among themselves, I suppose, and then seek support from the international community once the American nation crumbles beyond repair.

Come to think of it, are there not big oil pipelines that run across your territory? :shock:

You've hit a point of great contention among Canadians: not just the employment from building big new pipelines, but the sale of Canadian oil to flow through them. Environmentalists stand in opposition to workers who fear for their jobs and investors who stand to make (or lose) obscene amounts of money in the oil industry.

This is where the American election immediately affects the Canadian economy. Trump was aggressively pro-pipeline; Biden has said he would stop the building of the major new Keystone XL cross-border pipeline that's been in the planning stages for years, and upon which construction has already begun. Barack Obama refused to approve it; Trump immediately reversed that decision.

These are 'interesting times'.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Is Trump now accepting defeat?
Screenshot 2020-11-15 at 14.31.59.png

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1327956491056279552

Is he gradually realising that he'd need to overturn so many state results and his legal cases being thrown out ...?

Pretty "sad" demonstration of "ego". He's apparently turned of Fox for not following his line but rather they recognise that the electorate has chosen so Trump has abandoned then (not they seem (one of) the target of his Twitter rage).

Ian
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I reckon if I had a particularly good dump he'd take credit for it.

125885763_3624085400986513_6177889321889289997_o.jpg
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Psamathe wrote:Is Trump now accepting defeat?

Is he gradually realising that he'd need to overturn so many state results and his legal cases being thrown out ...?

Pretty "sad" demonstration of "ego". He's apparently turned off Fox for not following his line but rather they recognise that the electorate has chosen so Trump has abandoned then (not they seem (one of) the target of his Twitter rage).

Ian

What's so depressing is that people are so accepting of it.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

kwackers wrote:I reckon if I had a particularly good dump he'd take credit for it.

It is so very sad.
Such a mission how long in the planning?

Very glad he's out of the White House.
Another 4 years of that tripe would be very bad all round.

Come on Trumpians wake up, he's a conman.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
kwackers wrote:I reckon if I had a particularly good dump he'd take credit for it.

It is so very sad.
Such a mission how long in the planning?

Very glad he's out of the White House.
Another 4 years of that tripe would be very bad all round.

Come on Trumpians wake up, he's a conman.

They know that. They don't care.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

^^
They do now! :wink:
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Psamathe wrote:Is Trump now accepting defeat?

Pretty "sad" demonstration of "ego". He's apparently turned off Fox for not following his line but rather they recognise that the electorate has chosen so Trump has abandoned then (not they seem (one of) the target of his Twitter rage).

Ian

What's so depressing is that people are so accepting of it.

Yep. Where is Lee Harvey Oswald when he's needed?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker