Have you ever taken part in a cycle race?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.

Have you ever taken part in a cycle race?

Road Race
13%
Time-trial
27%
Mountain bike
6%
Track
6%
Other
3%
Never raced
45%

Total votes: 67

landsurfer

Re: Have you ever taken part in a cycle race?

Post by landsurfer »

eileithyia wrote:another useless survey as not able to tick more than one option ie, road race, time trial, and track...

Here here !

Single choice makes it rather pointless ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

landsurfer wrote:
eileithyia wrote:another useless survey as not able to tick more than one option ie, road race, time trial, and track...

Here here !

Over the years I have done all of those 3.... it was the same with the one about warnings, why do you cycle ... there were at least 3 options out of all of those available, as to why i cycle but could only click on one...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

'Not yet' could also be a suitable option
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
whoof

Post by whoof »

landsurfer wrote:

Here here !

I did say if you have done more than one choose the one you did most. If there were multiple options then this wouldn't indicate how many respondents had raced.

It's as useless as a great number of posts on this forum. If it is of no interest to individuals there don't have to take part.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

whoof wrote:
landsurfer wrote:

Here here !

I did say if you have done more than one choose the one you did most. If there were multiple options then this wouldn't indicate how many respondents had raced.

It's as useless as a great number of posts on this forum. If it is of no interest to individuals there don't have to take part.

Woof, Woof .. morning grumpy ... :)
Be more Mike.
whoof

Post by whoof »

landsurfer wrote:
whoof wrote:
landsurfer wrote:
Here here !

Morning Landstuffer, hyperbole anyone.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

whoof wrote:
landsurfer wrote:
whoof wrote:I did say if you have done more than one choose the one you did most. If there were multiple options then this wouldn't indicate how many respondents had raced.

Morning Landstuffer, hyperbole anyone.

:D .... Touche !
Be more Mike.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Oops..... I 'voted' before I'd read only one counted, so 'ticked' Road Race, Time Trial and Track, but only track was counted! reading other responses I then remembered the one occasion I rode in a cyclo-cross (never again!). IIRC it was the only branch of cycling which had pros riding against amateurs at the same time (1978?) and I think I was lapped during my first lap :lol:
andrewwillans49

Post by andrewwillans49 »

Yes , both road race and time trialling.
The road race was near Rutland Water, about 60 entrants and categories were 3rd and 4 cat, women and Vets. Distance was 58 miles and we averaged just over22.5 mph. We had motorcycle outriders clearing traffic and I believe we did 5 or 6 laps of a 9 mile course, all with left hand turns. I remember a woman sat up in the bunch chatting away not seemingly working hard very relaxed. I was flat out and concentrating. I eventually finished mid pack and was just relieved not to get dropped. I believe the woman's name was Maxine Johnson, at least that's what I was told. One and only road race.
andrewwillans49

Post by andrewwillans49 »

Re above race , was around 1998
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

In research the rule is: a circular box is one answer only; a square box allows multiple answers (sometime all you like, sometimes limited to a max of three).
John
millimole

Post by millimole »

Two time trials - both The Tin Can Ten for hub geared bikes, and both 10 miles, near West Leake, Nottinghamshire. I seem to recall my time not being embarrassing.
Curiously the online records show both rides, but I only recall one of them.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Woof Woof, Landstuffer..
I am Kyrill, that was the name of a ghastly hurricane, but I am harmless

Any more suggestions for nickname nicknames, just for fun on Sunday morning? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

al_yrpal wrote:In my teens I raced in several massed starts. My most vivid memory was the tour of Ashdown Forest.

Massed starts, the bunch and the bonk were words that seem to have slipped out of use.. :lol:

Al

Brings back memories.
The tour of the Ashdown went "over the pylons" as I remember - I rode over there on an audax a while back - pylons seemed to have vanished (maybe a phone mast) - the climb is steeper and longer than I remember from late fifties/ early sixties.
I can't imagine why anyone would consider an audax to be a race - obviously there are those who want to be faster than anyone else - most don't care.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

ANTONISH wrote:.... the climb is steeper and longer than I remember from late fifties/ early sixties. ....

Yup. Although the evidence is everywhere, it's a little-known fact that much of the money spent on roads in the UK goes on the surreptitious annual modification of climbs to make them steeper and longer. They used to need navvies to do this but now it's all mechanised and some newer roads have built-in jacks towards the top. I think metrication has something to do with it so a hill you once romped up in a 69" gear, is now a struggle with 20" or less.