"We were sick of lockdown – so cycled from Land’s End to John o’Groats"

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Nice story in today's Observer:
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020/nov/15/cycle-lands-end-to-john-o-groats-in-lockdown-camping

We were sick of lockdown – so cycled from Land’s End to John o’Groats

And so the rhythm of our days was set: we rode and ate and rode and ate.

We decided not to feel guilty about swapping wild camping for wild hoteling.

Jonathan
Bonefishblues

Re: "We were sick of lockdown – so cycled from Land’s End to John o’Groats"

Post by Bonefishblues »

That's a good read :)

No mudguards :lol:
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

1300 miles in a fortnight, with camping gear, that's some pace.
PH

Post by PH »

Thanks, I enjoyed that, though IMO it's soured by the bike advert at the end and the idea promoted that you need some special sort of bike.
PH

Post by PH »

flat tyre wrote:1300 miles in a fortnight, with camping gear, that's some pace.

For a challenge sort of ride, rather than a sightseeing tour, it's a very doable pace. It requires the mindset that it's all about the cycling, but for many cyclists it doesn't involve physical hardship as long as you're comfortable with long hours on the bike.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

PH wrote:Thanks, I enjoyed that, though IMO it's soured by the bike advert at the end and the idea promoted that you need some special sort of bike.

The bike advert was weird, but lovely article, I thought.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Inspired me to visit cycle.travel and check-out their route. But UK weather has in the past discouraged me - when you are not time limited why endure UK weather when you can head south into France and get better weather. Plus I'd want to camp and I'm always a bit uncertain about UK camping (many campsites seem to publish "Only Caravan Club Members", though I have stayed at a couple in the past (one had no showers, other was Caravan Club Members Only but it was deserted and they ignored that rule).

But, conditional on other things, certainly an a thought if travelling to EU is not an option next summer (in which case I expect it might be a busier route).

(I agree about the unnecessary ad at the end - which given the non-cyclist readership can only serve to discourage people who don't have a "special bike").

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I'll ask the Readers' Editor about the "ad".

Jonathan
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I've long* thought Temple's steel gravel bike's lovely, irrespective of the ad :D

*Well in the time since launch, anyway
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I have to say I read the phrase differently.
It goes without saying that to ride more than 1,000 miles up the length of the country on rugged tracks and trails while fully loaded with camping gear requires a special bike.
I think there's more than a grain of truth in that - if you head off to do the trip without devoting a fair amount of effort in making sure your ride is correctly built-up, adjusted, lubricated and up-to-the-job, it won't be long before you come unstuck. In that sense, it will be "special" regardless of what sort of cycle it is.
Granted there's the mildest of implications that the Temple Adventure Disk is one such example, but who knows... it may be true!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
marlanuk

Post by marlanuk »

I rode with these two guys into Inverness on my LEJOG after bumping into them just after Aviemore, and our paths crossed again the next day at Crask Inn.

Really friendly and interesting guys, it was great to have some company on my solo ride.

Like them I wild camped on my last night near Altnaharra on the shore of Loch Naver, and yes the midges were horrendous!

Good article to read this morning over breakfast, alas I didn’t get a name check! [emoji6]

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Syd

Post by Syd »

Making something like this newsworthy is going to encourage other idiots to break the rule / guidance or whatever ever else you wish to call it.
marlanuk

Post by marlanuk »

Syd wrote:Making something like this newsworthy is going to encourage other idiots to break the rule / guidance or whatever ever else you wish to call it.

It was in September when the restrictions had been lifted.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Related to the OP, Cyclist Magazine have a series (started a couple of issues ago) from a guy who rode a scenic route JOGLE in between bits of lockdown. It's being serialised in the magazine over the course of the year. Good read so far and some stunning photography.
Syd

Post by Syd »

marlanuk wrote:
Syd wrote:Making something like this newsworthy is going to encourage other idiots to break the rule / guidance or whatever ever else you wish to call it.

It was in September when the restrictions had been lifted.

Not across all nations.

Publishing it now is irresponsible journalism. I bet a £ to a penny very few of you know how close you are to potential receiving inferior care in an ICU should you need it.

Hospitals are well stocked with ventilators ( don’t start me on that topic) but appropriately trained staff have been run ragged for months and are a breaking point.

PS you’re signature is ridiculous. Please turn it off.