EU VISAs after Brexit

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Oldjohnw

Re: EU VISAs after Brexit

Post by Oldjohnw »

al_yrpal wrote:Whatever impediments the evil empire places on us we should respond in kind.... Before the EU there werent any as far as I am aware except for the Communist bloc and even there you just went.

Al

If you want to go back to the 1980s and the Cold War.....
John
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

st599_uk wrote:

If you want to stay longer, you can apply to an individual country for a longer tourist visa.

Apart from France which has been discussed previously, do you have any evidence that this is in fact possible just now or will be possible going forward?
I have looked at Spain and Italy and both state that no such visa exists.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

What do you want to go abroad for?
Once or twice a month or so, we cross the river into England. That's as far as we would want to go. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mick F, you have been abroad to more queer and distant countries than most of us. I have been to about 15, cycled in about 12, two of which no longer exist :wink:

As for visae in future: just like This cv Madness, nobody knows :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Such visas exist, I've had them for work. Each country has its own requirements and there's never a guarantee of getting one.

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Embajadas/ ... as-GI.aspx
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

And for Italy:
https://vistoperitalia.esteri.it/home/en

But there isn't a suitable visa for UK nationals AND UK resident AND >90 days AND tourism.

Apart from the hassle and the cost note the inconsistencies, as above.

Jonathan
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

st599_uk wrote:Such visas exist, I've had them for work. Each country has its own requirements and there's never a guarantee of getting one.

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Embajadas/ ... as-GI.aspx

Your link is for Spanish residence visas and your personal experience is of work visas, neither circumstance is relevant long stay tourism.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Even as an EU citizen under FOM, you had to apply after 3 months.

You can apply for a Visa class D (Residence) for tourism, but you will have to prove you have medical insurance, income and attest you won't work. See https://www.nomadicmatt.com/travel-blog ... ays/#third
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

al_yrpal wrote: Before the EU there werent any as far as I am aware except for the Communist bloc and even there you just went.Al

Nope. When I took a train to Istanbul, I needed transit visas for both Yugoslavia and Bulgaria. This involved a trip to London, and leaving my passport overnight at both embassies. Ah, those were the days... :shock:
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

nirakaro wrote:
al_yrpal wrote: Before the EU there werent any as far as I am aware except for the Communist bloc and even there you in went.Al

Nope. When I took a train to Istanbul, I needed transit visas for both Yugoslavia and Bulgaria. This involved a trip to London, and leaving my passport overnight at both embassies. Ah, those were the days... :shock:

except for the Communist bloc read what I said! Got my visas at yhe border when I went to Yugoslavia in 1964. You just went.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yugoslavia wasn't part of any bloc. It was a founding member of and major influence on the non-aligned movement.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yugoslavi ... Yugoslavia–Soviet_split
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Aligned_Movement

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Yugoslavia was a Communist state. Marshall Tito. Not part of Russia, a collection if smaller countries.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Most of the countries in the Soviet bloc/ Warsaw Pact weren't "part of Russia" either.

And under Tito the constituent parts of Yugoslavia weren't countries, they were republics and provinces.

Jonathan
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

st599_uk wrote:Even as an EU citizen under FOM, you had to apply after 3 months.

You can apply for a Visa class D (Residence) for tourism, but you will have to prove you have medical insurance, income and attest you won't work. See https://www.nomadicmatt.com/travel-blog ... ays/#third

Nothing on that Nomadicmatt site makes me think there is any reasonably practical way of obtaining a long term tourism visa in a series of countries to allow travelling through Europe for a period of more than 3 months.
The visas referred to are residency visas and are awkward to obtain and may have various conditions attached.

It may be the case that even as an EU member state citizen strictly speaking the 3 months rule has always applied but in reality it hasn't, many northern European retirees have spent their winters in milder southern climes, many cycle tourists have spent months (more than 3) travelling throughout Europe, and as mentioned earlier, the yachting fraternity have cruised the med unhindered.
As an EU member state citizen, there was no real risk of sanction or deportation, but as a non EU member state citizen, things are very different.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Jdsk wrote:Most of the countries in the Soviet bloc/ Warsaw Pact weren't "part of Russia" either.

And under Tito the constituent parts of Yugoslavia weren't countries, they were republics and provinces.

Jonathan

So what? Never needed visas when we thumbed to Istanbul and back in 1961.

Al