...How to make my bike/trailer/seat light up like a christmas trees

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
nomm

...How to make my bike/trailer/seat light up like a christmas trees

Post by nomm »

With the dark evenings and mornings rolling in this will be the first time I will be cycling with a child either in a seat or in a trailer and I am mindful about making myself as visible as possible (more so than previously) for winter commutes to nursery etc

The trailer is a Burley Solo and the seat is a bo-bike maxi tour (that has the built in light which takes 2xaaa batteries but seems to eat though batteries and I think it may be faulty in some way)

Now I have seen numerous sticker sets, spoke lights, frame reflectors - but I am always mindful of buying tat so I wonder if anyone has any recommendations....
Last edited by nomm on 22 Nov 2020, 9:46am, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Re: ...How to make my bike light up like a christmas tress

Post by Jdsk »

There's a lot in the archives...

At the moment I have:
* Steady dynamo lamps front and rear in compliant positions.
* Flashing battery lamps on the bars and the rear mudguard.
* Flashing front and rear battery lamps on helmet.
* Automatic flashing wristband indicators. (And they actually work, to my surprise.)

All non-dazzling and headlamp aim checked.

* Bright yellow jacket.
* Smattering of reflective tape.
* Spoke reflectors.
* Reflective tyres.

The family's trailers have reflectors and lamps on the rear corners. They and the Windcheetah have pennants on tall poles.

Jonathan
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

there are some good deals on battery powered LED strings atm - really make your bike/trailer look like a christmas tree! :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I'm a fan of spoke reflectors. They're cheap, easy to fit, last years & require no maintenance - see here for the ones I bought recently for friends. They attract attention when viewed from the side, because they're bright and moving fast, but how effective they are in preserving life, I've no idea!! However, at about a fiver a packet - enough for several cycles - why not go for it?!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
mjr

Post by mjr »

simonineaston wrote:However, at about a fiver a packet - enough for several cycles - why not go for it?!

Trap crud against the spokes and help them rust?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

thelawnet wrote:Something like this

https://www.monkeylectric.com/m232_bike_light/

Use of blue and green lights attached to the bike is restricted, as is which direction you show red and white, so be cautious what patterns you use on the move. Amber is fine. I don't remember what else is.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonineaston

Re: ...How to make my bike/trailer/seat light up like a christmas trees

Post by simonineaston »

Trap crud against the spokes and help them rust?
Not in my experience :-) Had on one of my bikes for approaching ten years - stainless spokes, mind...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

As a general comment, now I've been out after dark for a few weeks, this season, I am as usual amazed by the number of users I see who are cycling bikes with no lights at all. However I sort-of get that - as humans, we are, after all, a mix of feckless, dim, lazy, disorganised and over-optimistic. But what really does my nut these days is the increasing number of gormless twits who think its a good idea to use either a white light at rear or a red light at front...
S
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Expensive but https://beryl.cc/shop/laserlight.

I don't have one but if I was riding at night often I'd like one but projecting behind me (for cars approaching from behind).

In fact if I was regularly riding after dark I'd probably pay that price, even in rural quiet country lanes.

Edit: Cheaper version of the same thing (from same company) https://beryl.cc/shop/laserlight-core
Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

... I am as usual amazed by the number of users I see who are cycling bikes with no lights at all.

===================================================================================

PS In the unlikely event that anybody is concerned about the lighting regs, in the broadest of terms and subject to the inevitable exceptions, it's red lights and reflectors only to the rear, and no red to the front.

IIRC, the main exception to the amber rule for cyclists is the compulsory (with an exception) pedal reflectors.
nomm

Post by nomm »

thirdcrank wrote:
... I am as usual amazed by the number of users I see who are cycling bikes with no lights at all.

===================================================================================

PS In the unlikely event that anybody is concerned about the lighting regs, in the broadest of terms and subject to the inevitable exceptions, it's red lights and reflectors only to the rear, and no red to the front.

IIRC, the main exception to the amber rule for cyclists is the compulsory (with an exception) pedal reflectors.

The other thing that is amazing is the brightness of some of the non-dipped lights I am dazzeled by other cyclists
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

Reflective tape or stick on reflective bits from car accessory shops or internet sellers is a good passive help.
As someone else has said battery powered strip lights are available. Just make sure you get outdoor ones to ensure they last. I doubt anyone would stop a lot cyclist just to complain about lights.

My strategy for a long time has been to be lit but not be easily identifiable as a cyclist from a distance in the dark. Many drivers seem to become sociopathic around us, and this seems to get me better passes
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

mjr wrote:
thelawnet wrote:Something like this

https://www.monkeylectric.com/m232_bike_light/

Use of blue and green lights attached to the bike is restricted, as is which direction you show red and white, so be cautious what patterns you use on the move. Amber is fine. I don't remember what else is.

I don't think this is something that is enforced at all
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

I've been cycling Junior to school on our Circe Morpheus since September. The route is three miles of twisty country lanes with moderate commuter traffic, so being visible is important.

Five minutes on Adobe Illustrator, and £4.50 on eBay, got me this. It does seem to make a genuine difference to drivers' behaviour, much though it shouldn't.

IMG_2843.JPG

I see someone has had a similar idea and draped the hi-vis over the child seat: https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topi ... fety-vest/ . (On the Morpheus, Junior is at the front, so it's my back that's visible to approaching traffic.)
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides