Supermarket Honey not what it seems?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Supermarket Honey not what it seems?

Post by mercalia »

seems like there are claims circulating that cheap honey you find in Tesco/Sainsburys/Asda is bulked up with sugar syrup.

Supermarket brands of honey are 'bulked out with cheap sugar syrups made from rice and corn'

Tests conducted on own-brand honeys from Co-op, Tesco, Sainsbury's and Asda
Results suggest they've been bulked out with cheap syrups made from rice and corn – without retailers' knowledge
Honey importers and shops say tests - which analyse types of sugar in honey and pick out those which came from factory rather than bees - are inaccurate
UK imports 50,000 tons of honey each year – about a third of it from China

No mention of Lidl. if there is any truth to this then best buy only the good stuff

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8973415/Supermarket-scandal-sees-honey-bulked-cheap-sugar-syrups.html

I see my jar of lidl honey says it is a blend of EU and non EU honey. hmmm. I didnt know alot of "honey" came from China
kwackers

Re: Supermarket Honey not what it seems?

Post by kwackers »

I buy local honey and I also buy "supermarket" honey for the foxes (not only do the foxes like it but the birds won't eat the bread with honey on it).
There's simply no comparison, local honey isn't as sweet and tastes of something other than sugar.

Certainly wouldn't surprise me if it was the case the honey was bulked out.
peetee

Post by peetee »

I bought some Lidl brand honey recently. It seemed to go cloudy and granulate very quickly. I don’t know if that is a sign of pure or not pure origin.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

If you’ve got taste buds you can tell supermarket honey whilst usually acceptable is not the same as good local honey. It’s got to be cut with something to sell it at that price. If you can get it and can afford a good local honey it rasps in the throat.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info