...How to make my bike/trailer/seat light up like a christmas trees

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mjr

Re: ...How to make my bike light up like a christmas tress

Post by mjr »

thelawnet wrote:
mjr wrote:
thelawnet wrote:Something like this

https://www.monkeylectric.com/m232_bike_light/

Use of blue and green lights attached to the bike is restricted, as is which direction you show red and white, so be cautious what patterns you use on the move. Amber is fine. I don't remember what else is.

I don't think this is something that is enforced at all

Wait until someone with them is in a collision and we'll see. I think it's a bit like illegally-powerful e-bikes: no-one is checking much until something goes wrong.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

mjr wrote:
thelawnet wrote:
mjr wrote:Use of blue and green lights attached to the bike is restricted, as is which direction you show red and white, so be cautious what patterns you use on the move. Amber is fine. I don't remember what else is.

I don't think this is something that is enforced at all

Wait until someone with them is in a collision and we'll see. I think it's a bit like illegally-powerful e-bikes: no-one is checking much until something goes wrong.

Don't think it's much like illegally powerful e-bikes at all. If you run over a granny on your 1000W e-bike then you are obviously a baby-eating monster with an illegally modified bike. If your bike has some pretty lights in the wheel that's not going to attract opprobrium
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

mjr wrote: ... Wait until someone with them is in a collision and we'll see. I think it's a bit like illegally-powerful e-bikes: no-one is checking much until something goes wrong.

Yes. One point is that if somebody did shunt a cyclist in spite of a Christmas tree effect, they and their insurers would be clutching at every straw to avoid prosecution / civil claim.

Another point is that if they were clued up and knew what it said in Cyclecraft (see above) they might call John Franklin as an expert witness. IIRC, CJ has written about the safety benefits of things like pedal reflectors in being clearly identified as "pedal cyclist." I'm not so sure about that and I don't want to put words in his mouth.
andrew_s

Re: ...How to make my bike/trailer/seat light up like a christmas trees

Post by andrew_s »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/70340-Christma ... ef=sr_1_11

Just need a box zip tied to the top of the rack to hold the christmas tree to go with them.
GarethF

Post by GarethF »

I used cheap LEDs from Planet X. I had four or five with rechargeable AAA batteries in. Two on the trailer and a spare in my pocket. Another one at home with charged batteries. Plenty bright enough for riding in traffic round town, and cheap enough to have one or two lying around ready to use whenever, and always at least one in working order.

I also managed to get a few cans of the reflective spray Volvo were selling a few years ago. So the back and sides of the trailer got a good dose of that. Not sure how much help that was, because the reflective bits built in to our Burley were pretty good anyway. I think a helmet mounted tail light is good because you have to switch off the tail light on the bike or risk damaging the passengers eyes (apart from the fact the trailer blocks it from view anyway)

Also put some of the clip on 3m reflectors onto a few trailer spokes either side, clustered together to make a more noticeable rotor type pattern.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

simonineaston wrote:As a general comment, now I've been out after dark for a few weeks, this season, I am as usual amazed by the number of users I see who are cycling bikes with no lights at all. However I sort-of get that - as humans, we are, after all, a mix of feckless, dim, lazy, disorganised and over-optimistic. But what really does my nut these days is the increasing number of gormless twits who think its a good idea to use either a white light at rear or a red light at front...

You saw all these people without light, and the problem is what exactly?
Highway code specifically says you should travel at a speed you can stop in the distance you can see to be clear. That's by your headlight/eyesight, relying on things to be lit up so you can avoid going into it/them is just asking for trouble.
I never had problems seeing peds, cyclists, stationary motors, fallen trees, animals etc that weren't lit up, from what you said neither do you so why the name calling of such people.
A red or white light in the 'wrong' place on a cycle makes no difference whatsoever, seen it loads and it's easy to distinguish what's occuring if you're not going too fast and paying attention.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Battery powered xmas lights do work well actually although some people are inclined to be a touch sniffy about them. Great on the trailer. However they eat batteries so use rechargeables and are not over robust. Seen them in the pound shop though :D
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

mattsccm wrote:Battery powered xmas lights do work well actually although some people are inclined to be a touch sniffy about them. Great on the trailer. However they eat batteries so use rechargeables and are not over robust. Seen them in the pound shop though :D

Might not solar powered ones work, some of the garden style 'fairy' lights seem to light up ok even with little actual daylight, the ones my partner put up seem to do.
Not the brightest but then bright/any luminosity doesn't really equal safer.
I would have thought decent rAA echargeable batts would last many hours for LED xmas light strings
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

My child trailer has a buggy handle. I leave this up all of the time and have mounted several frog lights on the handle. I will take a picture later this week & post it on this thread.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom