Close Passes - thread on motoring forum

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Bonefishblues

Close Passes - thread on motoring forum

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2

Re: Close Passes - thread on motoring forum

Post by reohn2 »

Sorted :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

I had a dead dead scarey close pass a couple of days ago....Police van.... :shock:
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Bonefishblues wrote:https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=1899698

Thought this might be of interest?

Not very happy reading. Some of the comments are either from 'trollers' or the mentally deranged!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Some of both I agree. It's notable that those opinions are invariably shouted down - rightly so, of course. Lots of people commenting who are both keen drivers and vulnerable road users at different times.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Looks quite tame compared to the stuff we get on Twitter. If you want to change anything you need to argue with those who disagree, not just preach to the converted.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

There is a set of traffic lights on my commute where there are 2 lanes; left and straight on, or right hand lane for those turning right at the next right turn a 150yds up the road or set of lights about 50yds further on. As I turn right at the next lights I take prime position the right hand lane, as I'm perfectly entitled to. If I were to take the left lane I'd get squeezed in to the kerb and struggle to safely get across to turn right. Tried it once; never again.

When the lights go green at the first junction, 9 times out of 10 I will get to the second junction with the lights on red. This morning was no exception. The only difference being the d*ck behind me was obviously running 5 seconds late as he decided to drive full on to the opposite side of the road at high rev's causing oncoming traffic to slow, then dramatically cut right across in front of me whilst gesticulating. He beat me to the red light by about 5 seconds, and then sat there for about 30 seconds until the lights changed.

Fortunately, these kind of clowns are the exception to the rule, as most other drivers a pretty good. No doubt the idiot from this morning will be furiously typing away at a post on some motoring forum, complaining about cyclists holding up traffic and not paying 'road tax' or having insurance :lol:
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

ChrisP100 wrote:There is a set of traffic lights on my commute where there are 2 lanes; left and straight on, or right hand lane for those turning right at the next right turn a 150yds up the road or set of lights about 50yds further on. As I turn right at the next lights I take prime position the right hand lane, as I'm perfectly entitled to. If I were to take the left lane I'd get squeezed in to the kerb and struggle to safely get across to turn right. Tried it once; never again.

"If I were to take the left lane..."

But the left lane is for turning left isn't it? Do you mean if you kept to the left side of the straight on lane (secondary position), rather than taking primary position in the straight on lane?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

mikeymo wrote:
ChrisP100 wrote:There is a set of traffic lights on my commute where there are 2 lanes; left and straight on, or right hand lane for those turning right at the next right turn a 150yds up the road or set of lights about 50yds further on. As I turn right at the next lights I take prime position the right hand lane, as I'm perfectly entitled to. If I were to take the left lane I'd get squeezed in to the kerb and struggle to safely get across to turn right. Tried it once; never again.

But the left lane is for turning left isn't it? Do you mean if you kept to the left side of the straight on lane (secondary position), rather than taking primary position in the straight on lane?

I read it to mean that the left-hand lane was for both left-turners and straight ahead traffic.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Yup! I read it as two lanes as well. I had a similar type of driver recently, except that we were on a ‘through’ road with two lanes going straight on. There were a couple of 90 degree right turns, simple? not so. Taking primary in the right hand lane, to turn right, obvs... Fat bloke roars up alongside in the nearside lane, slows down screaming abuse at me to get out of the way/stay on the left! I smile sweetly and tell him that I’m turning right, you [rude word removed]! whereupon he goes straight in to join the queue of stationary through traffic:-) got to love them! out on supervised day release?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

mikeymo wrote:

Left lane is for left at the lights or straight on at the next set of lights; right lane is for right turn or right at the next set of lights. As I'm going right at the next set of lights, I take prime in the right hand lane.
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

Phil Fouracre wrote:Yup! I read it as two lanes as well. I had a similar type of driver recently, except that we were on a ‘through’ road with two lanes going straight on. There were a couple of 90 degree right turns, simple? not so. Taking primary in the right hand lane, to turn right, obvs... Fat bloke roars up alongside in the nearside lane, slows down screaming abuse at me to get out of the way/stay on the left! I smile sweetly and tell him that I’m turning right, you <i>[rude word removed]</i>! whereupon he goes straight in to join the queue of stationary through traffic:-) got to love them! out on supervised day release?

I really don't know what goes through their heads, if anything at all.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

ChrisP100 wrote:
mikeymo wrote:

Left lane is for left at the lights or straight on at the next set of lights; right lane is for right turn or right at the next set of lights. As I'm going right at the next set of lights, I take prime in the right hand lane.

Yes, I see. Apologies, I missed the comma.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Phil Fouracre wrote: ... bloke roars up alongside in the nearside lane, slows down screaming abuse at me ...?

I've had this in a two-lane approach to a roundabout, left-hand lane dedicated to left-turners. I was in RH lane and keeping up with queuing traffic where I had been a little while. I'd no idea what I might have done to upset him as I was 101% out of his road. He received a cheery horn blast from the driver behind him held up by his antics.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

A v quick glance at that thread, it's pleasantly not what I'd expected.