Flu 'jab'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cowsham

Re: Flu 'jab'

Post by Cowsham »

I Have to get the flu jab this Saturday to protect a vulnerable person in my family. It'll be the first one in nearly 30 years !
I wasn't well after the last one so not looking forward to this one.
I am here. Where are you?
horizon

Post by horizon »

Which one will you be getting?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

horizon wrote:Which one will you be getting?

No idea -- I thought it's just the cocktail of the day jobby. Certainly not the corona virus one -- it's not going to be available here for some time and it's not a flu anyway.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I read that the efficacy of the Oxford vaccine is thought to be higher than hoped for... I note, with wry amusement, that the only reason they found out is 'cos the original instructions went out wrong, advising the half-dose for the first of two doses. By the time they relalised something was amiss, it was too late - lots of volunteers had received the first injection - but they decided to carry on with the trial even tho' they'd used the "wrong" measurement. How funny! All that skill, knowledge, effort & expertise and they get a 20% (ish) boost in efficacy 'cos of a good, old-fashioned, clerical error!!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

We've all had the flu jab in our house (real arm ache one this year) as my husband is a teacher, we get them most years; one year it was completely ineffective but generally it varies.
Last year I didn't have the flu jab and picked up a SARs type infection at the end of November that was going around that was very similar to covid: dreadful cough, felt tired, lost sense of taste, got better, got worse, lasted a month (but I wasn't that ill as I was still running, well I was when I felt okay). It did the rounds here till well into February and even younger people were wiped out by it. It wasn't covid though, I live in Scotland and there were no cases here then.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

We're still trying to get our flu jab here.
Must have missed out earlier and now the GP surgeries are only giving "under 65's" doses.
Told to try a local pharmacy but they're not getting any through.
Told to try Tesco but can't get an appointment.
Oh well.
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

For the first time ever I received a text from our surgery asking if I'd like to accept or decline the Flu jab as they are now offering it to those aged 54+.
I had to text back 'accept' or 'decline'.I don't know what the next step is as the surgery isn't open to visits and I declined!
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Had real flu once, 30 years ago and it wasn't pleasant. Haven't had the 'jab', ever, but increasing numbers wonder what amazing probabilities there are of going one year to the next without contracting flu, despite not being injected to help prevent/ameliorate it.

Did have a three day stint in bed four or five years ago, perfectly matching what is now called Covid19. Equally unpleasant as the flu, but with added breathing restriction (I'm asthmatic, according to medical records) and stomach cramps to boot. Vanished as quickly as it arrived, really odd.

Docs in four developed nations have discovered that 20-50% of people with Covid19 have immune systems which recognise this current wee virus, fascinating.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

I remember the scientists saying that 20% of people won't be able to catch covid19. Which is different from being asymptomatic. ( you have it but with no symptoms ) it's that 2% we have to protect.

The difference with c19 and flu, which is a lot more dangerous, is that with flu everyone that has it knows about it so it's much easier to track. C19 is undercover much of the time. Again c19 is not a flu it's DNA is very similar to the common cold.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cowsham wrote:I remember the scientists saying that 20% of people won't be able to catch covid19.

Where's that from, please? And what was it about?

Thanks

Jonathan
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I received my third letter telling me i have been identified as needing a free flu jab, today.
On the previous two offers I was refused when i contacted my GP, as the letter told me to do ....
Here we go again ............
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Should be business opportunity in providing forged documents to show older than actual age. At over 70 and in clinically vulnerable group there are still some 5m in front of me in the covid queue!
Had flu jab for about 12 years, began as soon as diagnosed COPD.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Can I check if your letters just say “clinically vulnerable”? Mine say “clinically extremely vulnerable”, so there may well be multiple levels of vulnerability in play (I only know about my pile of letters).

In March I got 5 or six letters saying I was CEV, and then one that said I wasn’t... I am (according to three consultants from different specialities, all would say that just in their watch I would be). I’ve no idea where they “oops you’re not” letter came from.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Phileas

Post by Phileas »

Cowsham wrote:IAgain c19 is not a flu it's DNA is very similar to the common cold.

To be more precise, COVID 19 is the disease caused by a novel strain of coronavirus (SARS CoV2). Some other coronavirus strains cause common colds. Clearly COVID 19 is not a common cold.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cowsham wrote:Again c19 is not a flu it's DNA is very similar to the common cold.

Coronaviruses are RNA viruses not DNA viruses.

Jonathan