Have to stretch to reach brakes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: Have to stretch to reach brakes

Post by Brucey »

whilst I am on the subject of bad news (and hey, don't shoot the messenger), I would be incredibly surprised if there is the recommended stem insertion of ~50mm/2" into the steerer with the OP's current setup. If so, the stem either needs to go down or be replaced with a taller one. Since you are probably getting a shorter one anyway, best kill both birds with one stone.

FWIW Nitto make nice bars and tall/short quill stems too. Not cheap but quality rarely is.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
lescargo

Post by lescargo »

If you decide to change bars and stem-in my opinion the real solution- this will last you the next 20 years, with AHEAD stems giving such ease/adaptability to vary stem length to get EXACTLY what you want.
I have shorter reach bars which I won't be using again.
MAKER-- ONE23 model TE11 420mm. 144 77 U13 Q6F
These are *8cm/3" reach and 15cm/6" deep.
Shorter and shallower , apparently, than your present 'bars.
*60 years ago, before Alf Engers was drilling ch/rings to save weight we were cutting last inch from our MAES or GB 'bars cos we never used that bit anyway.
These bars ONE23 bars have, modern, "expanded centre barrel section 31.2mm IIRC.
The shortest stem I have to match this H/B diam is 12 cm. ---Deda quatro.
But even with this12cm. stem, look to be shallower and shorter reach than your present 'bars.
Also have "THEHT" 10 cm. stem but this is for earlier size 15/16 /24mm. bars.

If you want any/all of above pm me your address then I can put in post-you then put donation in a "LIFEBOAT" box.

Note post is seriously delayed these days.
Why?
Because Royal Mail has furloughed staff--then taxpayer pays 80% of their wages- good news for shareholders but bad for customers/public.
Be AWARE THAT sorting offices are presently only open 8--10 am. TO REDUCE CROWDING!!!!

Afterthought, ask on "wanted" section for MAJOR TAYLOR stem- adjustable-and possibly available from old "vet" who doesn't want to throw it out..
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Just ditch the bars. All the adjustable stems are pig ugly and spoil a nice bike and I said originally and Brucey ( and maybe others) have said, the shape is all wrong for modern levers.
Most people would ( Not me) have advocated swapping bars of that age anyway due to fatigue.
CJ

Post by CJ »

mattsccm wrote:Just ditch the bars ... the shape is all wrong for modern levers.
Most people would ( Not me) have advocated swapping bars of that age anyway due to fatigue.

I agree with you on both points. Those bars may not be of the most reliable design, but just sitting at the back of the shed for most of the past 30 years will not have fatigued them very much!

The old bars and stem together, as a set, should sell easily on Ebay to someone doing an Eroica bike restoration job and in search of genuine retro parts. The OPs bar and stem set (even better if he still has the old levers too) will be a good buy for someone, given that they've not already suffered too much use. So please don't go near that stem with a hacksaw: what a waste that would be!
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
CJ

Post by CJ »

When I needed higher and closer bars on my 1990s Thorn Audax, I got this very nice extender and matching stem from Velo Orange: Image
Being polished silver (rather than today's ubiquitous funeral black!) these match the other bright metal parts of bikes belonging to that more cheerful era, so should look good on your Peugeot!

The stems come as short as 7cm (in classic 26.0 size, the modern 31.8 version seems out of stock), which should be short enough I think. To go with it I'd suggest the 26.0 Daija shallow drop handlebar, as the reach is also short and the initial curve into the drop looks sharp enough to be suitable for modern STIs. Image
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
LuckyLuke

Post by LuckyLuke »

Hi, my R hip joint gives me grief if my torso is flexed too far fwd. I prefer steel frames with traditional, smaller diameter tubes, threaded forks & quill stems. Over the years my riding position has crept up and up.
I've used the Nitto technomic stems Brucey referenced up thread. NTC 225 and NTC 280. Not cheap mind but great quality and fantastic for gaining height and shortening reach. 25.4mm handlebar clamp size. My bars are all Nitto or Grand Bois, 25.4mm size, so I'm committed to that size.
http://nitto-tokyo.sakura.ne.jp/stem-E.html

Nitto also make a 25.4mm clamp diameter short reach handlebar. Again not cheap but what price comfort? :wink:
https://www.tokyobike.co.uk/fairweather ... dleba.html