Mudguards for 35mm tyres - no mounts

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Raskolnikov

Mudguards for 35mm tyres - no mounts

Post by Raskolnikov »

Good afternoon,
Apologies if this has been covered before but i couldn't find any answers via the search option. I use an On One Pickenflick Cyclocross as my primary steed at present. A great bike and the 35mm tyres currently fitted absorb our shocking roads and local cycle pathways brilliantly. Sadly though, it is not fitted with rack or guard mounts. Clearance looks ample so I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a decent set of clip-on type guards, similar to race blades (which don't appear to go to that width). On occasion I go out with an oppo who will start to comment on my anti-social riding if I continue without guards during the winter months.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
Brucey

Re: Mudguards for 35mm tyres - no mounts

Post by Brucey »

p-clips (maybe not these exact ones for mudguards)

come in different shapes and sizes, and will allow full mudguards to be fitted to your bike. If you are riding in group full mudguards are what you need, preferably with long mudflaps too.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
peetee

Post by peetee »

Totally agree about full length mudguards. The short quick-fit type that attach with a rubber plate and strap to the middle of the seat stays keep the riders bum dry and that’s it. At any speed above 15mph the rider behind gets sprayed. At the front something that ends well below the centre line of the wheel axles is the only way to keep your feet dry.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
lescargo

Post by lescargo »

Used these to fit full guards to my mountain bike.
Available from Westfield Fasteners, Alesbury.
T.01844201133
or enquiries@westfieldfasteners.co.uk
lescargo

Post by lescargo »

Oops- have mentioned that they are described as "P" clips.
I first saw them on industrial fridge plant
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I have a Pick. At the rear it is 4 p clips but in stainless steel. You won't mark the Ti frame and they look better. Front has some SKS mounts that fit onto the Qr skewer for the stays and some super heavy 3M velcro UHUed to the top of the guard and the fork. Did consider drilling the fork crown as the manufactures code on the steerer is the same as some Kinesis forks I have which are drilled. Haven't been brave enough yet
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

The OP did specify clip-on mudguards, so these might do the trick: SKS Speedrocker mudguard set for tyres up to 42mm wide, plus the optional rear mudguard extension if you want to be nice to your riding partner. Not particularly cheap though.
Mudguards
Extension flap
(Other retailers are also available.)
Reviews indicate they're effective but more fiddly than some to put on and take off.
Raskolnikov

Post by Raskolnikov »

Excellent, the 'P' clips look a very sound option and I fully agree that the ability to put full length guards on for the winter is preferable. I've not come across them before.
It's many years since I previously used the forum under a different and forgotten account and it's as great a source of information now as it was then.
Thanks all for your comments.