Wood Burner Compact Camping

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
st599_uk

Re: Wood burning stoves

Post by st599_uk »

That's designed to gasify the hydrocarbons emitted from the burning wood, not sure that also means it's OK for other fuels. Presumably would be ok with a penny stove or hexamine if you can get those close enough to the flame.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

TimeTraveller wrote:You can use the Evernew DX and and a meths burner, the DX stand is good for wood fuel as well as a stand for the burner, nice and small packs nice, maybe not the best wood stove but you can boil water for a drink..

Yep, good stove.
Pics with wood and with Trangia.

IMG_20201116_160012.jpg

IMG_20201116_160157.jpg
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:One thing to remember about alloy kettles - build up of hard water deposits - hard to remove from alloy kettles which may in the long run add how the water tastes?

Your stainless steel kettle is made of an alloy. What's it like to clean?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
nsew

Post by nsew »

TimeTraveller wrote:You can use the Evernew DX and and a meths burner, the DX stand is good for wood fuel as well as a stand for the burner, nice and small packs nice, maybe not the best wood stove but you can boil water for a drink..

I handled one of the Evernew DX kits a few years back and deemed it practically useless as a wood stove due to its size. Much too fiddly and unstable. The accompanying alcohol burner consumed meths at a lightening fast rate and the pot was too small for a hearty eat. Clearly a piece of kit that places form over function. They should produce a larger version.
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

I bought a Lixada Wood burning stove from Amazon two years ago. It was around £12 and represents really good value. It is made from Stainless steel and has a spirit dish as well as a wood grate. I burn Cat Litter on mine and carry a small plastic bag full, enough for one twenty minute burn.Cat litter is as cheap as chips and a bagfull lasts for ever. I use a 120 diameter Zebra brand heavy stainless pot with a hanger handle and lid. This gets really sooted, so I carry a wodge of stainless steel wool and five minutes in the nearest stream has both pot and stove shining like new.The alternatives are a Trangia or the nice little Gaz that all nests together in the pot and lid.The Lixada goes very well on pine cones, leafs, kindling, and sheeps wool that is lying around. It is handy at a standing camp for boiling spuds or rice or anything not requiring finess!
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

arnsider wrote:I use a 120 diameter Zebra brand heavy stainless pot with a hanger handle and lid. This gets really sooted, so I carry a wodge of stainless steel wool and five minutes in the nearest stream has both pot and stove shining like new.

Coat the outside in washing up liquid, then it's far easier to get back to shiny.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pete75 wrote:
mercalia wrote:One thing to remember about alloy kettles - build up of hard water deposits - hard to remove from alloy kettles which may in the long run add how the water tastes?

Your stainless steel kettle is made of an alloy. What's it like to clean?

I only use it for making tea not boiling water so dont know. BUT like my kettle at home I would descale using citric acid used in food. can be bought in bulk quite cheaply
Last edited by mercalia on 15 Dec 2020, 5:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

arnsider wrote:I bought a Lixada Wood burning stove from Amazon two years ago. It was around £12 and represents really good value. It is made from Stainless steel and has a spirit dish as well as a wood grate. I burn Cat Litter on mine and carry a small plastic bag full, enough for one twenty minute burn.Cat litter is as cheap as chips and a bagfull lasts for ever. I use a 120 diameter Zebra brand heavy stainless pot with a hanger handle and lid. This gets really sooted, so I carry a wodge of stainless steel wool and five minutes in the nearest stream has both pot and stove shining like new.The alternatives are a Trangia or the nice little Gaz that all nests together in the pot and lid.The Lixada goes very well on pine cones, leafs, kindling, and sheeps wool that is lying around. It is handy at a standing camp for boiling spuds or rice or anything not requiring finess!

ah I am not the only one to have discovered that. You might like to get some hamster bedding as the fire starter - its just wood shavings and also cheap. I orginally got the wooden cat litter to fill in some loudspeaker hollow stands to stop them ringing when struck to deaden them and had a lot left over
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

AIUI cat litter is made in several different ways. I can't imagine that they all burn the equally well so it might be best to say which have been found to be satisfactory in this respect?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I bought one of these because Black Friday :D

Surprisingly good, actually - especially when we're limited to sitting friends in the garden with us.

https://uk.bioliteenergy.com/products/f ... 7530885148
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:I bought one of these because Black Friday :D

Surprisingly good, actually - especially when we're limited to sitting friends in the garden with us.

A steel car wheel from a scrap yard makes a good fire pit,just pop it on three bricks and make a fire in the well :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:

A steel car wheel from a scrap yard makes a good fire pit,just pop it on three bricks and make a fire in the well :D

Yes but no but it's like Bluetooth and everything and it makes whirring noises and everything (does burn very efficiently, actually, and witha lot less smoke than a pile of burning tyres :lol: )
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Yes but no but it's like Bluetooth and everything and it makes whirring noises and everything (does burn very efficiently, actually, and witha lot less smoke than a pile of burning tyres :lol: )

Ah but,yer s'posed to take the tyre orf first dopey :roll: :wink:

PS,I miss a nice whirring noise in my fire pit :(
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Brucey wrote:AIUI cat litter is made in several different ways. I can't imagine that they all burn the equally well so it might be best to say which have been found to be satisfactory in this respect?

cheers

I got mine from Wilko, made from commpressed wood. The only problem is that really larger bits of wood like twigs burn easier where as the litter are small so can clog the bottom grill holes of the internal base that really need to breathe I think, to pull air in thru the base
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

I got my cat litter from Tesco. It is very similar to the pellets burned in Biomass systems, but much smaller in size.
I have to say that I haven't had any problems with the grate clogging. I fill it two thirds full and get around thirty five minutes of a burn. More than enough for a brew or a one pot meal. I have burned foraged fuel in the shape of twigs, leaves, sheeps wool and pine cones. The pine cones burned very well indeed and spitted and cracked away nicely. I use white block fire lighters to start it and carry a couple of disposable fag lighters.
The whole lot comes in a litle draw string pouch, measuring around six inches by eight.