GPS cycling computer

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
eoi2621

GPS cycling computer

Post by eoi2621 »

Would a basic gps cycling computer with a trip also work for measuring distance walked? Try ing to measure length of a path running around a local lake ( not a cycle path)
Paulatic

Re: GPS cycling computer

Post by Paulatic »

Of course it would. I stick mine in my pocket if I want to find the distance of a walk. I’ve made 'walking' one of the profiles so all I want to see is time of day and how far I’ve walked.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

There are measuring tools in Google Earth.

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I don't think you need that level of sophistication - you can simply use old-fashioned navigation techniques. I've just come back from my evening constitutional and went a different route to usual. I wondered how far I went and so glanced at the clock when I got back in. Left at ten past seven, got back in at twenty past eight, so out for an hour and ten minutes. I walk at almost exactly two and a half miles an hour, so even with my shaky maths, I can readily figure I walked 2.5 miles, plus 2.5/6, which is just under 3 miles. :D
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Jdsk wrote:There are measuring tools in Google Earth.
Jonathan

Yes, and in Google Maps... right click where you want to start measuring, and left-click on points after that. The tool only works in straight lines so a circle will look more like 50p than 10p
The problem with G Maps is that advertising banners can pop-up where you want to click; make the map larger and you can avoid them
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Map My Ride does both. It gives vital stats of walk/ride as well as the route covered.
John
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I have a Garmin Edge 20 and a watch strap thingy for it.
I may wear it later this morning taking doggie for a walk. The pubs here are open as of lunchtime today, so we're walking to two of them, and maybe do about six miles.
Mick F. Cornwall
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Back when I trained for various aspects of outdoor pursuits, which included navigation, obs., one of the bedrocks of micro-navigation was to learn about one's pace. The morning of day 1 on the basic course was spent finding out how far we each travelled, over 100 paces, the effect of a slope on that distance, the time it takes and so on. The trainer's promise that these basic measurements don't change much for an individual turned out to be true. I wonder if they're still taught on the modern equivalent of the courses I took 30 years ago, inspite of the increase in availability of electronic devices that use gps postioning. 'Manual' though the old ways are, they can be surprisingly accurate - and of course don't suffer from the risk of the batteries going flat, or breaking if dropped.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Smartphones have lots of apps that'll track you, count metres climbed and count your steps as you go.

I don't use them, I have a GPS.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
deeferdonk

Post by deeferdonk »

Don't need a fancy GPS, what's wrong with just running round with a trundle wheel?

;)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Been for a walk with my Garmin Edge 20 on the strap on my wrist.
Me and doggie from the White Hart to the Rising Sun along the river bank.
Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 15.36.46.png
Mick F. Cornwall
alanesq

Post by alanesq »

You should be able to do this with a smartphone no problem, there are many apps which will record the gps data and then you can export this as a standard file and feed this in to many online maps etc. which will give you all the stats you could wish for.

I use an Android phone and recommend https://f-droid.org/en/packages/de.denn ... pentracks/
this will give you distance travelled information etc. and you can export the data it produces and use it in: https://www.gpsvisualizer.com/
or even Strava if you wish
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

alanesq wrote:You should be able to do this with a smartphone no problem, there are many apps which will record the gps data and then you can export this as a standard file and feed this in to many online maps etc. which will give you all the stats you could wish for.
I use an Android phone and recommend https://f-droid.org/en/packages/de.denn ... pentracks/
this will give you distance travelled information etc. and you can export the data it produces and use it in: https://www.gpsvisualizer.com/
or even Strava if you wish

Please how do you get it to link to Strava.?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

So let's see... someone who already has a cycle computer asks if they can also use it for measuring a walk. In response they get a deluge of answers suggesting that they measure it on Google Maps, install apps on their phone, plot it on Google Earth, plot it on Google Maps, or work it out as they go with a map and compass.

All this despite the fact that Paulatic gave a full, accurate and helpful answer to the actual question within ten minutes of it being asked.

The collective ability of this forum to answer the question they think someone should have asked, rather than the one actually asked, never ceases to impress me. :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

AndyK wrote:So let's see... someone who already has a cycle computer asks if they can also use it for measuring a walk. In response they get a deluge of answers suggesting... plot it on Google Earth...

No, I didn't suggest that. I said that it was possible, not that the OP should do it that way. It's possible that he or she didn't know that.

Jonathan