EU VISAs after Brexit

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
thirdcrank

Re: EU VISAs after Brexit

Post by thirdcrank »

Brexit: How travel to the European Union from 2021 will change

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/b ... d=msedgntp
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

That's a good wide convenient summary.

(Simon Calder is often excellent.)

Jonathan
colin146

Post by colin146 »

Crazy, going back in time 40 years and for what?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

colin146 wrote:Crazy, going back in time 40 years and for what?

To take back control. You must have heard!
John
colin146

Post by colin146 »

Yes I forgot that................ But seriously it’ll take a generation to sort out this self inflicted mess. (Short reply to avoid anti Brexit rant)
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

The UK press seem to be confirming the rules, although some are mistakenly calling them new.

The Schengen treaty was signed in 1985, the third country rules have been known for over 30 years.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

st599_uk wrote:The UK press seem to be confirming the rules, although some are mistakenly calling them new.

The Schengen treaty was signed in 1985, the third country rules have been known for over 30 years.

Yes, I've seen that "misunderstanding".

Jonathan
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

...........but the spin being put on it by certain elements is that we (the UK) are being penalised by the EU. I think many thought we would get preferential treatment because we are British damn it!

Woe is me.
millimole

Post by millimole »

Taking back control of the borders seems to be a two way thing.
Europe can take control over its borders too.
Who'd have guessed?
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I posted this on another post, it is also proper to here.

I frequently travel to countries that have all sorts of entry requirements. The bottom line nowadays is that airlines carry out first level immigration checks at check-in time. If required by the destination, you often have to show (eg) return ticket, visa, money, accommodation, etc. If you turn up in the country without the required stuff, then it is the airlines responsibility to take you out of the country and they get a steep fine. This means that they are often fairly strict, working from a standard (IATA?) database of requirements for each country.

Initially, I don't suppose that ferries or airlines to Europe (or the local Immigration Officers) will bother about this, but if they end up with some passenger returns, plus big fines, then things could change. We all know the hassles that over officious check-in staff can cause, this could be a charter for them.

The list of requirements for third party citizens to enter the EU is fairly long.

I s'pose you could say that carrying out third country immigration checks on UK soil is taking back control. Huzzah!
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

simonhill wrote:The list of requirements for third party citizens to enter the EU is fairly long.

Where can that list be found?
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

some further inf here, from BBC, 'Travel after Brexit: How will it affect my holidays to the EU?'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46627083
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

For those of you whose grandparents were born on the Irish mainland, you can claim Irish citizenship, get a second passport and avoid all this.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Also, if your family lost it's German citizenship due to forced action in the 30s, you can reclaim it. (Otherwise it's 7 years of residence and A-level knowledge of German)
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”