Anybody bought an Orbea Gain ?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Kahu

Anybody bought an Orbea Gain ?

Post by Kahu »

I'm thinking about getting one of these, just looking for a bit more info, owners experiences that sort of thing ....
Jdsk

Re: Anybody bought an Orbea Gain ?

Post by Jdsk »

A member of my family has an Orbea Gain D20 and I've taken it round the block after he rode it from east London to Oxfordshire.

Lovely, and he'd happily buy one again.

Jonathan
bikerider

Post by bikerider »

I suffered from hill climbing ability failure eighteen months ago. My wife suddenly became a lot faster than me up any kind of hill or slope
to the point of spoiling our rides.  After a little research I went to the e-bike shop at Farnham.  At the time the choice was any colour (choice
of four), frame size, ali or carbon and groupset.  I then went and had lunch locally to await the phone call to collect.  It took two hours.
I don't suppose they can obtain that amount of stock choice at present.
My choice was carbon frame and 105 groupset.  The bike was everything I hoped for.  I only ever use the lowest power setting.  It's
enough to help me up the hills and keep up.  When it cuts out at 15mph you are rolling fast enough not to notice the extra weight when
pedalling and it's a bonus downhill.  The bike does not work without my effort and I still go home worn out.
First time I've had hydraulic brakes.  They are as good or better than brakes on any other bike I have owned.
The bike rides and corners as well as you would expect from any decent frame/wheel combination.
I can do 50 miles with some hills without using the last 20% battery life.
When testing the fast speed it went up a decent hill in the big ring comfortably.
I don't use it on every ride but have done just under 2000 miles trouble free.
I am very happy with the bike and have no regrets with my choice. 
NickWi

Post by NickWi »

As of early Sept '20, 63 pages worth of light reading!
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/orbea-gain.229793/
richtea99

Post by richtea99 »

I have a D50 which is the most basic drop handlebar Gain.

I'm very happy with it, and I'd definitely recommend it.
It gives you the option to either tackle different routes, longer routes, or just potter if you don't feel like going for it that day.

Pros:
- well-made even though it's the base model
- tidy understated battery and motor design
- light for an electric bike (only 2-3Kgs more than my steel tourer)
- I barely need to use it, but when I do it's nearly always in 'Easy' mode (level 1 of 3)
- with light use it does 70+ miles
- has mudguard and pannier mounting holes
- you definitely still get a workout - it's not a free ride. I like that
- in level 3 it gets me up hills I couldn't even climb 20 years ago. Progress. :)

Cons:
- the wheelset isn't as good as I would hope for. I'm a heavy rider (18st) so it's likely to be my fault, not Orbeas. I had them rebuilt before I got any trouble
- you have to charge indoors if it's sub-zero (batteries don't like it)

We also have a Boardman electric bike with the Fazua system in the family, which is a close competitor. I'd say it's a slightly better design (mid-motor), but then again you have to pay more for Fazua-powered bikes.

Both the Gain and the Boardman are perfectly usable - I'd be very happy with either.

If you've got specific questions, I'll be happy to answer them.
robgul

Post by robgul »

richtea99 wrote:I have a D50 which is the most basic drop handlebar Gain.

I'm very happy with it, and I'd definitely recommend it.
It gives you the option to either tackle different routes, longer routes, or just potter if you don't feel like going for it that day.

Pros:
- well-made even though it's the base model
- tidy understated battery and motor design
- light for an electric bike (only 2-3Kgs more than my steel tourer)
- I barely need to use it, but when I do it's nearly always in 'Easy' mode (level 1 of 3)
- with light use it does 70+ miles
- has mudguard and pannier mounting holes
- you definitely still get a workout - it's not a free ride. I like that
- in level 3 it gets me up hills I couldn't even climb 20 years ago. Progress. :)

Cons:
- the wheelset isn't as good as I would hope for. I'm a heavy rider (18st) so it's likely to be my fault, not Orbeas. I had them rebuilt before I got any trouble
- you have to charge indoors if it's sub-zero (batteries don't like it)

We also have a Boardman electric bike with the Fazua system in the family, which is a close competitor. I'd say it's a slightly better design (mid-motor), but then again you have to pay more for Fazua-powered bikes.

Both the Gain and the Boardman are perfectly usable - I'd be very happy with either.

If you've got specific questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

Bit late to the party but I've had a Gain (basic drop bar machine) since April 2018 and would reiterate everything in this post - BRILLIANT - and it LOOKS LIKE A NORMAL BIKE.

I changed the tyres for Marathons, fitted mudguards and rack as well as a Brooks B17. I probably ride it 60% without the power - bought it because when riding with the club/friends I was sometimes getting left behind (aftermath of serious illness a while ago and fitness not being what it was) - so I can switch on the power for hills or if I'm a bit fatigued.
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
octave531

Post by octave531 »

You can also go custom paint at list price, just have to be patient on delivery.
Attachments
35A375C1-9A7C-4A3F-9CBD-16B07DA413DB.jpeg
richtea99

Post by richtea99 »

V nice & understated.
willcee

Post by willcee »

Chap that I cycle with has had 2, first was a basic 8 sp Gain bought in early 2018 . loved it hated the colour it was drab gray, and a year later he traded it in and had a beautiful blue carbon in its place with a better groupset, his only gripe is the silly 15mph cutout, and after waiting for 8/9 months on the vaunted small special auxilary battery, it worked for perhaps 4 months and despite a computer updated input upgrade done in the bike shop where he bought it,still had the purple light issue... so they make a warranty claim for his battery and he's out 560 quid.. for likely another few months..so presently a very unhappy camper...and its the same right across all the marques that use this heralded Spanish hub motor..they are at the mercy of the electronics giant who imo are holding them to ransom.. all the 21 stock is advertised but try to source one that's a whole other problem.It may be a good bike but its had a hell of a lot of stock supply issues since day one... my experience in the sales of high ticket items is fairly extensive , the buyers can afford to keep banking hours, they don't like or need to be kept waiting, there are others with good bikes out there...will
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Being Spanish could jump in price in 2021.Look good for reople who want to look like a real cyclist!
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

mumbojumbo wrote:Being Spanish could jump in price in 2021.Look good for reople who want to look like a real cyclist!

And a real cyclist looks like....
:)
John
stodd

Post by stodd »

Oldjohnw wrote:And a real cyclist looks like....
:)
The main distinguishing feature is a pained grimace on the face.