blood doning

Tangled Metal

Re: blood doning

Post by Tangled Metal »

The last few years of donations I took three months before I got to give then my last donation i couldn't book the next because of family holidays. When I tried to book again I struggled to even get an appointment i could get to. When I did about 3 panels later I failed to donate because they had to close and hadn't got to me yet.

Seriously our local sessions were difficult to say the least. A shambles after the booking in system came in. It was better under first come first served. You waited for a shorter time and rarely failed to donate. Occasionally you'd drop by and realise you'd never get seen so your go home and go next month. Never missed more than 1 month due to queues other than under the booking in appointment system. That's really something when a better system works out to be worse than what was before.
hamster

Post by hamster »

For medical reasons I have to have 500ml of blood drained off every 6 weeks or so (I over-produce red cells). I generally feel a little weak on the bike for 3 days or so afterwards, so I think it's perfectly normal.

As a Haematology patient for 20 years I see many people who need regular weekly transfusions to stay alive. If you can possibly do so, please donate.
The irony is that my condition means that my surplus blood cannot be used.
Last edited by hamster on 3 Dec 2020, 11:17am, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

How are the roses/ tomatoes?

; - )

Jonathan
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

Tangled Metal wrote:
Tiberius wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Is that whole blood donation at 90?

If that question was for me then yes, I have donated 90 pints of blood.

Not that 90 donations of any kind isn't remarkable it's just that 90 whole blood donations means 45 years of twice yearly donations without fail. I think that's incredible dedication.

Thank you but the twice a year thing has changed.

Men can now give blood every 12 weeks and women every 16 weeks. My last donation was on 19th October 2020 and my next one is on 20th January 2021. In theory I could donate 4 times per year but realistically this doesn't happen, mainly due to a donation slot not being available 12 weeks after my last donation.

My son started donating with me but gave up at 10 donations as he was so frustrated with the booking system and the not knowing how long he was going to be at a session. What a shame.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

That's a big change from my last donation. Wonder how it affects the sessions? More punters or less?
Steve

Post by Steve »

No shortage of donors at my last session a month ago.

That was number 50 for me, though about 3 years since my last one. I certainly noticed the difference in my cycling afterwards - the usual hills seemed steeper, and my lungs had to work a lot harder. Now beginning to feel like I'm back where I was before donating.

I wonder if donating regularly means the body becomes accustomed to and therefore quicker at recovery of haemoglobin etc.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Err indoors says she has done 103.
I said when did you start, 18-20 maybe so not quite 45 years maybe 43 donating.
she can as said give three times a year and men 4.
Books next appointment when donating on the day but now its online and you have to move quick otherwise you miss the slot in your area.

Why did you start?
Because my dad went and I decided / was pushed into donating, dad gave up a long time ago but she persevered, she might hit 125 by seventy :P
Not sure why the other three slightly younger siblings never started at all and never have?

I would of thought a truck turning up at work and being given an hour off work would get donations up?
Her workplace wouldn't even classify donating as a medical appointment at hospital, so the hospital gleams two hours, its just one hour donating (classifies as GP app) which is tight if you work shifts.
Super said just say it was hospital...................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I started on my birthday one year when a few people from work were going after we finished. I am ashamed to say it took the pursuasion skills of two attractive women that I was quite keen on impressing. That decision did but one good thing and that was get me interested in blood donation as often as I could. I got nowhere with the lasses unfortunately. :lol:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I'd like to add my thanks to everyone who has donated. Please don't let the hassle put you off.

Jonathan
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

Tangled Metal wrote:That's a big change from my last donation. Wonder how it affects the sessions? More punters or less?

I would say it's busier now than it used to be - at least it appears that way but the numbers may prove me wrong.

As I said upthread, nowadays the sessions always seem chaotic as if they simply haven't got enough staff. I live in rural North Yorkshire and all of the sessions that I attend are held in either an old church or a sports hall via a mobile doning unit. I recently had a blood test to see if I could donate plasma to assist Covid 19 sufferers. The blood test was carried out in Leeds at a proper, permanant blood donating place. It was a world away from what I am used to. So much better organised with a great 'flow' to the session. I could donate blood there but it's a four hour round trip travelling plus the donating. A complete non starter.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Steve wrote:I wonder if donating regularly means the body becomes accustomed to and therefore quicker at recovery of haemoglobin etc.

I don 't know an effect like that. All healthy people are making haemoglobin and red cells all the time.

Jonathan

PS: Any guesses in terms of molecules or cells per second? : - )
JJF

Post by JJF »

Contrary to what is said in an earlier contribution to this thread, donation does not stop at age 70. There are donors of whole blood well into their 80s. Whether there are 90s I don't know.

My experience of booking a place is unlike some experienced here. The booking system has worked well and I have been seen at the appointed time. There are two centres not far away and I can book at either.....so if one is fully booked I opted for the other.

I haven't noticed a reduction in cycling ability after donating but I am a bit cautious for a week or so.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

I disagree with cloning blood-its unethical
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It's a while now since I stopped donating and I cannot remember exactly what led to that. I do remember receiving a letter after one donation saying that the level of something in my blood was low and I should not donate for a certain period. Bearing in mind that this was about my health, I rang to try to get more information but I was stone-walled - probably because the person answering the phone lacked the knowledge to answer but it's the old story of treating donors as though the NBTS was doing donors some sort of favour by accepting their blood.

Posters above with more recent experience than mine have varying experinces. Tiberius' seems to be a continuation of mine but I hope that JJF's is more typical.
hamster

Post by hamster »

mumbojumbo wrote:I disagree with cloning blood-its unethical

Why unethical?
Is it ethical that somebody with a rare blood group is unable to be treated due to a shortage of compatible blood?