Twenty a day for 2020?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
parmos

Re: Twenty a day for 2020?

Post by parmos »

initial target was 2021 miles which was just last years total of mixed bike riding Road & MTB, this year i've already hit 3200 hoping to hit 3500 at least hopefully 4000 but currently working away i do have my bike with me but change it every fortnight so i've had my Hardtail & Hybrid now i've got my gravel bike with me this fortnight only thing that is stopping me is the weather really as don't mind cycling in the dark
foxyrider

Re: Twenty a day for 2020 October

Post by foxyrider »

Well, what a month! The arrival of cooler autumnal weather had me fishing out the longs and my new Spesh Defroster boots which almost immediately reduced my ride speeds by 1-2mph! Oh well, the speed isn't as important as being able to ride and for the first 3 weeks my shoulder was improving and i was tempted to lift the climb content a bit to the point where i was pretty much back to pre accident rides, i was gonna step things up a bit this week.

Then along came a storm of impediments, an inflamed tendon in my foot (no idea what set it off) is restricting walking and lowering the comfort time on the bike, then the stormy weather moved in and finally i seem to have had some flu symptoms - not together or with added Covid features but its left me less enthused about longer rides. All those excuses are lessening so matybe i can start November on a better footing! So week 4 has been pretty poor, 2 wet rides totalling just over 150km, the usual 3rd abandoned completely, which has impacted the months figures negatively.

So lets fling some numbers;

12 ride days averaging 118km (73mi) / 895m (2936')
month total 1419km (882mi) / 10745m (35253') so 46km (28.5mi) /347m (1138') per month day (31)

That brings my ytd to for 115 ride days to 15181km (9433mi) / 123656m (405696')
average ride is 132km (82mi) / 1075m (3527') so 49.8km (31mi) / 405m (1329') per year day (305)

So i'm currently over 1800km ahead of plan for my year target of 16000km, with under 900km to go to reach it - fingers crossed that will be mid November. Reaching 10k miles wont be far behind. The projection for the full year is currently a little over 18000km / 11200mi which will be a new personal record, but i'm not counting chickens, i know only too well how these things can go tyres up!

Last nights news won't really affect me providing they don't ban exercise like the French, in fact, i'm expecting to see a few more bodies out on bikes if the weather behaves.

So are you going to make your targets? have you suffered any woes? let us know.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

October was a bit of a mixed month, very wet at the beginning and very wet and windy at the end but with decent weather and solid mileage in the middle. 879 miles for the month, 8594 for the year so far. Hopefully still on course for 10,000 for the year, Boris restrictions permitting of course!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
foxyrider

Re: Twenty a day for 2020 - November

Post by foxyrider »

Well another month has passed, another month of restrictions this time combined with some weird weather. Well not so much weird but unpredictable, sunny one day, followed by fog and torrrential rain, add in the clock change and November has not been the easiest months riding! I got out on the bike 11 times, the weather scuppered #12, 1468km, 11226m, i seem to have mostly recovered from Septembers off but instead the cooler, damper weather has had me coping with a bit of a chest thing that seems to turn up every year.

I passed my year target of 16000km mid month and the next ride topped the 10000 mile marker, pretty chuffed with that after having Septembers contribution just about wiped out. Everything through to the end of the year is a bonus, there is therefore a vague chance that i could end up over 18000km for the year. :D

Average ride was 133.5km with 1020m of up compared to the ytd ride avg of 132.1 and 1070m. Overall the ytd avg has gone up, 49.7km /402m for 335 days which equates to a total of 16650km / 134882m.

I'm feeling rather smug with myself, but how are you lot faring, will it be a dash to the 'line', or are you happy with where you are?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Barring a disaster or the onset of a second ice age I should be set for around 5200 miles by years end. Reasonably happy with that, I didn't have any real plans but wanted to keep the average above 10 mile per day if possible.

I've had minimal time off work this year so any longer rides have been confined mainly to Sunday early morning 40 milers. Still enjoying it though which is the main thing. I'd class myself more as a BoaB (Bloke on a Bike) than a cyclist this year!
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

November was a pretty solid mileage month. No great rides but no rides lost to bad weather either. 9490 miles for the year so far so the 10,000 miles target looks, barring disaster or freak snowfall, to be within reach.
Well done to foxyrider who has passed this milestone considerably earlier than me!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
rjb

Post by rjb »

We hit a few tandem miles over 6000 so far this year but have now put the tandem to bed for 4 months as the stoker is being prepped for surgery shortly. We will be lucky to manage 3k next year so glad we achieved the 20 a day last year. Good luck to you all, 4 more weeks to squeeze a few more miles in. Merry Xmas. :)
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

I'm currently averaging 7.6 a day this year, I was hoping to do 10. Not too bad considering I didn't cycle for 8 weeks in Jan/Feb/Mar after my accident.
peetee

Post by peetee »

I’m not meaning to upstage you in any way (not least because I’m convinced I’m going to fail :| ) but having looked at my mileage since January 1st I was so disappointed with the total that I set myself a goal for the rest of the year. A few weeks back it meant doing 18 miles a day. Now it’s up to 25. The last three days have been hovering just above freezing but I have clocked up 77 miles so that’s lifted my spirits a bit.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Have hit my target of 150 mile a week for 2020 with a couple of weeks to spare, doubt I would have made it without all the extra time on the road brexit has given me,

foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Pebble wrote:Have hit my target of 150 mile a week for 2020 with a couple of weeks to spare, doubt I would have made it without all the extra time on the road brexit has given me,

Covid maybe? :lol:

Well done :D
foxyrider

Re: Twenty a day for 2020 - December and final reckoning

Post by foxyrider »

Well thats another year gone, time for a bit of reflection and appraisal. On the negative side, there was no summer tour or indeed any of my usual shorter trips, no sportives and at different times quite severe restrictions on where we could venture. On the plus side, there has been less traffic, more bikes on the roads and the weather has been pretty fair so fewer missed ride days.

December became a little intense as i was doing the Festive 500 which helped push ride days to 15 and distance to 1679km. A pretty good month even working around Covid restrictions and some 'interesting' weather - the addition of snow and ice shortened several planned rides. Having surpassed my targets in November, December miles were all a bonus.

On to the year in full then;

Statistic 1 then is days ridden, 141 which is just under 12/month, each ride on average 130km long with 1041m of climbing. i missed riding at all over 4 weeks, one pre Covid no bike trip, stonkin' cold which followed then a fortnight when i inspected the tarmac rather too closely in September!

Statistic 2 is metres climbed, 146,774 which is pretty poor for me but being based in Bristol for 2020 has restricted access to the contiuous uphill i'm used to in the Pennines.

Statistic 3
is km ridden, 18,329 of them, this may well be an all time 'best' for me. Along the way there were 22 Imperial centuries and 3 rides over 200km, in total only 7 rides were less than 100km during the year.

Statistic 4 is the biggy, average day distance for the full calendar year, well 50.1km doesn't sound a lot if you drop it into conversation but with 400m of climbing thrown in each of those 'average' days is a reasonable ride of itself.

So there we go, lots of miles squeezed into fewer days, targets all attained, as far as riding goes, quite a successful year. I've been helped by my taking part in various challenges on Strava and the encouragement of my network of cycling friends even if i've not been able to physically ride the roads with any of them, spread as they are across the UK and EU.

What then for 2021? further? higher? i'd be quite satisfied to hold the status quo to be honest, to have an injury/illness free year with some travelling to furren parts. :D
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Finished the year on 10,112 miles, thus achieving the 10,000 miles target. Took things pretty easy in December with only 632 miles cycled, partly due to lousy weather - rain, gales and now ice, but also I just fancied a bit of a rest. Slightly down on previous years but not significantly so. No group rides, no mainland rides, no long rides. Let's see what 2021 brings!