Why does nobody want paper maps anymore?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Paulatic

Re: Why does nobody want paper maps anymore?

Post by Paulatic »

Oldjohnw wrote:Cycling in North Northumberland and the Scottish Borders, I could probably use 100 year old maps and be OK.

For both walking and cycling I often print off from my OS online (of photocopy from a paper map) the area I'm in. Seems to work.

Stay away from Kielder or you might get wet feet on that road on the map.
With a group of mountain bikers back in the nineties we got to Cow Green. I purposefully pulled out my old map, pre reservoir, and asked them where are we at? :wink:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Love my old maps, there's detail that isn't always on newer maps, topographical stuff like cse of old railway etc., old lanes etc rarely change.

Why not donate to charity or offer on here as there seems a of interest.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Harvey maps were designed for the hiking/mountaineering market so it's obvious they've improved on OS maps for that use. It's why they use 40k scale. I use them too with copies for most lakes areas including the BMC versions for the Lakes and a few other areas too. I even have a few of those mini area maps too. I'm actually on my second BMC lakes map or possibly third, third it is because my second got left on my car roof and despite going back just couldn't find it again. :lol:

Btw as good as plastic maps from Harvey's are they do lose the print if you use them a lot. My two old copies lost a fair bit of the mapping and my current one isn't going to be good much longer. However I've got paper OS 25k maps of the lakes that has had longer use and still useable. Indeed there's a little bit of the folds tearing but it's perfectly useable. It's been soaked, dropped into a stream and used its whole life without a map case too. I only stopped using it because I got the plastic covered maps instead. Those leak eventually at the folds imho.

Yet to completely destroy a paper map but have worn a few plastic ones.

PS I often used to carry a few maps. Usually a Harvey's and a 25k OS. Now I mostly know where I'm walking and not doing so much. If I even carry a map it's only in my rucksack and possibly looked at for interest only to check something out. You tend to learn areas after you've been there a few times i find and maps are needed less with each visit.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Tangled Metal wrote:
Jdsk wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Is there a point to this my way vs your way discussions such as paper vs electronic mapping?

Anyone navigating or responsible for others navigating should be aware of the strengths and weaknesses of all of the available methods.

That doesn't mean that they need to be repeated on every occasion.

It's not needed when it goes round and round without any more light on the topic. Usually sides are aligned early on then it's just a hardening of viewpoints without light.

Perhaps a sticky or wiki might help with these often repeated discussions. Another would be the decision between dedicated GPS users and mobile phone users (with the odd digression into a specific kind of data logger tablet thing with free gis software and mapping).

A multiauthor wiki would be a useful addition. That could store and display the repeated stuff while new thoughts are added to a linked discussion.

Jonathan
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

The batteries can't run out on paper maps.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

it would be great when posters advocate particular tools to help navigation or generally enjoy the world around us if they could add the setting...

... I love paper maps when I'm at home or planning or discussing with others. I love receiving them as presents and looking at them on my shelves. I carry them and a GPS app on a 'phone and one or more Sylva compasses when I'm walking anywhere remote. I use a Garmin Edge 1000 for turn by turn navigation when I'm cycle touring, and my wife likes to have a big map with the whole route. I use a variety of apps on a 'phone when I'm driving somewhere that I don't know.

Jonathan

PS: Trying to think of all the tools that I don't use any more... small boat DR, RDF, VOR, analogue flight computer...
Last edited by Jdsk on 10 Dec 2020, 10:04am, edited 2 times in total.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I joined a subreddit once where they had a wiki of common questions and answers. They had a strict policy of deleting question threads where there was no evidence of research to find the answer before posting. So I duly read almost the whole wiki before asking the question. I got an answer then I got a mod message saying it was deleted because I hadn't done my research. That was wrong. There was nothing directly relevant to my question in the wiki or posts I'd seen.

I disconnected to that subreddit and looked elsewhere for answers. I hope a cuk wiki, if set up, won't cause such a draconian approach.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes, that doesn't sound smart. I'm thinking of multiauthor wikis as an added optional tool.

And our moderators do a superb job on thread management. That approach could be extended to include the wikis.

Jonathan
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

I used to tell my students off for using Wiki as it is not peer reviewed.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

We're talking about wikis, not Wikipedia.

Jonathan

PS: I went through that with my students with Wikipedia. A few using it in secret, then saying they did as if it was funny and waiting for reactions, then general uptake, and now routine and without comment and recommended by me. It's wonderful to have degree level material so freely available.

PPS: Very few textbooks were ever peer-reviewed.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Miss read, it's an age thing :D
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Paulatic wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Cycling in North Northumberland and the Scottish Borders, I could probably use 100 year old maps and be OK.

For both walking and cycling I often print off from my OS online (of photocopy from a paper map) the area I'm in. Seems to work.

With a group of mountain bikers back in the nineties we got to Cow Green. I purposefully pulled out my old map, pre reservoir, and asked them where are we at? :wink:

:lol:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Paulatic wrote:

Love it. I remember it being flooded.
John
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

The OP's original message asked why nobody wanted old maps, and that he had failed to sell any despite advertising on e-bay and elsewhere. That said, I PM'ed asking which ones were for sale as I could be interested. Nothing!!!! So, do you really want rid?
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

KTHSullivan wrote:The batteries can't run out on paper maps.

Absolutely!