All those choices!

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
mattsccm

Re: All those choices!

Post by mattsccm »

mattsccm wrote:Brother wants a MTB for some fairly serious off road use. Stuff transmission wear, it will be cheaper than his motorcycles.
What he wants is something that gives him Chris Hoys legs without thinkjng about it. What he hasn't realised is that it will be crap on tbe gravel as he'll have to pedal a heavy old lump at 16mph :D

M
N!
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

mattsccm wrote:Cheers. I will stay here as i am getting somewhere. But why the sensors? I understand the words cadence and torque but what do they?
We/I am after factual info about the tech. Picking a tool should be about how it works not the end result.

Had you read this (recent) thread? viewtopic.php?f=55&t=141115
There's a couple of links in there that I thought were really rather informative about this issue and some other snippets. Helped me no end!
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
50sbiker

Post by 50sbiker »

stodd wrote:I'm afraid you can either have simple or comprehensive but not both. Comprehensive is bound to cover detailed discussions on different motors, for example. He isn't really a novice any more if he has had the chance to try all those different machines.

Precisely. .No short cut to research and try some ....And pin down exactly what you will do with it most often...
Round the doors...Halfords rear hub perfectly sensible..I prefer touring,50 mile a day...off road when ever possible...Cannot wait for my Riece and Muller Delite...E bikes are defo the """way to go""
hemo

Post by hemo »

mattsccm wrote:Brother wants a MTB for some fairly serious off road use. Stuff transmission wear, it will be cheaper than his motorcycles.
What he wants is something that gives him Chris Hoys legs without thinkjng about it. What he hasn't realised is that it will be crap on tbe gravel as he'll have to pedal a heavy old lump at 16mph :D

52v BBSHD by Bafang.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

That Raliegh is so obviously a rebadged German Trekking bike with all the usual accessories provided as standard. Best design of the lot

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Cheers all. That Raleigh is a bit of a hybrid for his needs. Some thing somewhat more MTB needed.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

What we need is comprehensive without arguments. :lol: Some hope I guess.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

mattsccm wrote:What we need is comprehensive without arguments. :lol: Some hope I guess.

Don’t be silly! What would be the point of the forum? :-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

50sbiker wrote:
stodd wrote:I'm afraid you can either have simple or comprehensive but not both. Comprehensive is bound to cover detailed discussions on different motors, for example. He isn't really a novice any more if he has had the chance to try all those different machines.

Precisely. .No short cut to research and try some ....And pin down exactly what you will do with it most often...
Round the doors...Halfords rear hub perfectly sensible..I prefer touring,50 mile a day...off road when ever possible...Cannot wait for my Riece and Muller Delite...E bikes are defo the """way to go""

Precisely my thoughts - you really have to decide what you want to do with it. We went through various iterations before we were happy. Best of luck with the Reise and Muller - we tried a couple, but weren’t sure, partly because of cost, x 2 = 13 grand!
Was seriously impressed with the belt drive, though.

Ended up with Scott Axis erides, and very happy now!!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
loafer

Post by loafer »

- you really have to decide what you want to do with it. We went through various iterations before we were happy. Best of luck with the Reise and Muller - we tried a couple, but weren’t sure, partly because of cost, x 2 = 13 grand!
Was seriously impressed with the belt drive, though.

done over 2000 miles on my reise+muller supercharger gx rohloff (belt drive) very happy it has not gave me any problems and the electric shifting is awesome :D got this model for touring...hence the dual batteries ...the g/f has the nevo with enviolo gearing which she loves to bits also belt
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

He knows what he wants to do. Mountain biking.
Just after the pros and cons of all the variations. These are facts not experiences . Cheers for trying any way.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

A trio of ebikes at my local lidl with different motors and tyres

WP_20201221_12_57_12_Pro.jpg

WP_20201221_12_57_20_Pro.jpg

WP_20201221_12_57_28_Pro.jpg
hemo

Post by hemo »

At least two of them are illegal with 1kw (possibly greater) D/D hubs.