Another Off..............Whilst Stationary..

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
NATURAL ANKLING

Another Off..............Whilst Stationary..

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Not a helmet story......sort of.
Decided to go out as I have not been out for more than a week...weather :(
When I decide to go out then only snow or ice will stop me.

Been doing the most of rides (training...well backwards :( ) in the dark solo and normally cold and damp.
Terrain is 40 % off road cycle paths and rutted muddy tracks.
You need to stay sharp and focused always, plenty of dark unlit moving bodies with no reflective clothes / lights.
Set off up my hill which is about 200-300 yrds.
Got to T junction, I stop and put foot down look and listen for late home commers , more than 50 % seem to favour wrong side of road :x

Anyway.............put my right foot down well next to kerb would be left but in road its probably right.
Foot is hooked up so I shuffle for a moment or two then its apparent that I am stopped and down I go on my right side.
Whether we automatically can manage to swap foot in a moment I don't know......if only.....

Bash and roll onto the tarmac, normally I can manage a roll but its a hard hit on the ground.
I get up before some &^%$£ comes home in their car, I am alright as I rearrange my gear, no damage to the bike, its only a skip trainer.

Hip hit the ground and felt a bang to the head, I carry on gingerly down first steep hill and soon forget about it, a headache for a few minutes after the fall but fine now.

At home stiff hip with contact to the rh femur top, part butock too.
Stiff elbow but very minor.
Broken helmet again.....................starting to get expensive.
Mild pain on rh side of head.
Legs are sore from the exertion of ride.
Next day still stiff hip but it will not hamper any exercise, mild sensation on the rh side of head, elbow is good.

But last night after one day went to bed and pain either side of my voice box in neck, the muscles you hold you head up with.
I suspect as is now apparent that the damage to lid is on rear that I tried to hold my head up on the fall?
But head hurts very very slightly on side.

Anyway what can happen when you are stationary and fall onto the road, I am 62, and still bounce :P
Blame the new saddle which sits 3mm higher than the worn sagging old one and new shoe covers with rather new rat cage MTB pedals.
Getting foot hooked up is not usual for me (flat pedals and clips and straps) certainly the very first injury from not being able to get foot down.
New covers were also probably a tight fit so I loosened the straps for rest of ride.
I think this is a first fall in over fifty years of cycling, stationary where my head also hit down, last was falling off moving on black ice, that was a bigger bang to the head, but no pain.
I will see how I go and not planning any rides at present, on the treadmill tonight.
Attachments
IMG_1808.PNG
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
fastpedaller

Re: Another Off..............Whilst Stationary..

Post by fastpedaller »

Ouch, glad you had nothing too bad - maybe you should change to SPD's? that way you'll only fall off 3 times during the first couple of rides (from my experience) :lol: After that all will be better (wish I'd changed many years ago - I've used them for 12 years, and wouldn't go back)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sorry to hear that. Thanks for sharing.

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Poor you!
As one gets older, one doesn't bounce so much.

Just turned 68, and I don't bounce at all! :roll:
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I think if we were half our age we would handle it a lot better are reactions are quicker and more robust et cetera et cetera.
Amongst aching a lot which is partly due to the bloody medication I'm on :evil:
i've noticed I cannot react quick enough when I trip et cetera, and falling on the bike or falling into the hedge, night riding is not for the faint hearted specially when you're moving.
when I was younger and you tripped or went for a fall, there was a moment when you thought something would happen but then you can correct it normally, not so with age, the moment seems to last a long time And then you're on the floor.

Thought I would mend some of my clocks, these are mostly ones I salvaged, some work perfectly some need cleaning some have parts missing et cetera.
Reviewed a few of them, one's got a busted mainspring, but the Westminster Whittington chime works perfectly.
On the third clock I inserted the key to check for springs, One was very tight which is very usual of course, the other one was too and then a moment it unwound with the key engaged :(
after several seconds of getting over the pain and wondering what happened with my fingers clasped with my other hand, a pool of blood started to appear in my palm, walked to the bathroom and I realised that it was probably going all over the floor, couldn't turn the light on so rinse my hand off under the tap and grab the light cleaned Wound under a tap.
One bruised thumb another nick out of my middle finger.
Felt like my index finger had been twisted around, my nails still there was a nice big flap losing blood all over the place.

I think I might skip the treadmill, and go for a walk down the woods in the dark :lol: :lol:
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Sorry to hear about your tumble.
If you've hit your head hard enough to crack the helmet and you've got after effects from the blow, especially a day or so later,
then might I suggest you could be suffering from concussion.
There's plenty of talk about it at the minute, in the football and rugby worlds, and I reckon you should take it easy and certainly not put yourself at for a while.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Sympathies. Did something similar in 2006, as a callow youth of 59. Going uphill, fluffed a gear change, chain came off, pedals went on round but bike stopped, I popped left foot out of pedal and duly fell to the right. Cue side of beef hitting road, thwack. Had myself a chuckle, assessed damage - apparently none - got back on and continued. A few hours later it began to get dark so I stopped and twisted back to turn on the rearlight on my left chainstay. As I did so, what felt like a couple of electric shocks blossomed at a point halfway up my lumbar region, one shooting down my spine and one upward to burst like fireworks in my skull. When my eyes cleared (synaesthesia?) I straightened up, got back on and continued. I've had a weakness at that point in my back ever since.

A chum had a similar off the following year. He turned an apple that was in his backpack to purée and broke a couple of ribs in the process. He told me afterwards that the apple had saved him (from what?) but I reckon that it broke his ribs.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Yes cricket ball in your pocket, my mate was knocked by a car and broken femur when he hit the ground.
He never had traction but was offered to correct many years later........but declined............got to be a good 2-3 inches diff in length.

It wasn't like last time two years ago, I reckon I had mild concussion for less than a week.
Big bang on my side with no warning but not pain in head despite cracking the helmet.
This time fell backwards but pain on side of head despite damage to rear lid.

Took a few paracetamol a few days ago, pain has move to top of head but mild as to be just a common head ache, If I don't think about it then dont notice it.

Today I was feeling ok and sat in chair in lounge, its under the stairs to upper floor....my seat.....cracked the side of my head on the stair and rubbed it for afew minutes :P
No feeling of concussion.
Like when you walk into the door before its fully open.
The neck strain is still there when I lie down of get out of head but fading and I expect it to be gone soon, one week is when you should go for advice on neck strains.

Soon be xmas :)