How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: How's your weather?

Post by Mick F »

Mr Angry speaking! :evil: :evil: :evil:

For the past few days, I've been keeping an eye out on the weather, and the online forecasts, and listening to R4.
Met Office, BBC, Metcheck ......................

Sunday this weekend was the only nice day predicted. I planned (notice the past tense) on riding over the River Tamar on my latest quest.
Sunday wasn't the best day domestically for me, but needs must when the devil drives eh?

However, I get up this morning, and get on with normal Thursday stuff, as well as check on train times to fit in with my Sunday ride. All fits in well .............. but the forecast TODAY is the best day for cycling, and Sunday is rubbish! :cry:
Had I known what I know now, I'd have been up and out by 8am and by now would have done 20odd miles.

Fully booked for the rest of today, so cycling is out. Only day of the week that's good for it, but it's too late now to find out.
Mick F. Cornwall
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Our weather has been absolute crap for weeks, now. Day after day of 2 or 3 degrees and rain.

We would normally have had snow by now, and I could go cross-country skiing, even if I didn't want to cycle. But there's been almost none, and I'm not at all motivated to cycle in the dreary weather.

I have been taking some evening walks with Mini V, which at least gets me out & about, and we have had a couple of days with slightly warmer weather, which helped, but... :(
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
rjb

Post by rjb »

I'm just eating my elevenses. Toast with homemade bramble jelly and a mug or 2 of tea. :) Back from a ride around the Somerset levels near Burrow Mump in glorious sunshine. The roads are awash with water seeping up from below and through the banks. Several roads here are below the current river level. The rivers Parrett and Tone are bankfull and have been overflowing onto the floodplain. And we are due a deluge tomorrow and Saturday according to the weather warning issued for us. Will need my waders soon, watch this space.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Today the reality and the forecast didn't correlate. 2 miles up the road and a shower starts. Supposed to be light cloud and sunny periods. :roll:
Does rain stop play ? Not today :) Fortunately it stopped long enough for a 2.1/2 hr trundle.
We have had week after week of miserable Goldilocks weather. - Too wet, too cold, never just right. :(
Raining now. :mrgreen:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Whatabout measured temperature and felt temperature, the latter is often lower, can it be higher?

I am watching the weather in Sydney, Longyearbyen, Ushuaia and Vladivostock for entertainment :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
paddler

Post by paddler »

Glorious weather here today so I cycled to my sons new house with a Christmas card, thirteen miles each way. Lovely ride, slightly marred by low sun ahead combined with a wet road for a mile or so. Fortunately there had been an accident at the junction with the bypass so only a few cars came past. Don't enjoy that though.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Weather in the far south west has been consistently poor for a number of weeks. What decent weather spells we have had have been hit and miss and, largely, inaccurately forecasted. Up until a week ago I was out braving the conditions and it wasn’t too much of a hardship after the first few wet rides. What has suffered though has been the bike. Particularly the brakes and wheels. The amount of gravel and fine debris on the roads has been extraordinary and, with its high proportion of granite derived silica and other hard particulates, that debris and frequent braking on the twisty, hilly lanes is rapidly wearing my rims and blocks.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Our weather is :? :( :x :evil: Cold and foggy by day then night sky clears and chills us a bit more. After dawn the fog moves in again and stops the sun warming us. Quack tells me not to ride when it's below 5°C. One is FFU.*

* Free French University. Not.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Pretty windy, very light rain, overcast, mud everywhere large puddles, not really cycling weather.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Another wet and windy day in North Wales however there are slivers of blue sky at the moment and 36% of the UK's electricity is coming from wind power. It is definitely not a day for cycling,
rjb

Post by rjb »

al_yrpal wrote:mud everywhere large puddles, not really cycling weather.

Al

Welcome to Somerset. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Absolutely batted down all day here.
Went out shopping into Tavistock this morning and the roads don't exist any more ............... they're rivers! :lol:

Still chucking it down now as I type.
Mick F. Cornwall
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

It's drain and ditch clearing weather in N Wales.
The water does most of the work. :D

Very mild.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Took the doggie for a walk this afternoon.
Coming along Calstock Road here .........

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.51607 ... 312!8i6656

The water was nine inches deep. I could tell how deep, by seeing how far up the legs the water came on the dog! :lol:
I called him back, took off my shoes and socks, rolled up my trouser legs, and paddled across. :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Went out on the rivers at lunchtime. Riding along various streams almost continuously with rotting dead leaves in the middle of most lanes. Very little traffic on the back roads. Nice sunshine...then a massive downpour late afternoon. Glad my beer stocks are up to date.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......