Amazon Account

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Bowedw

Amazon Account

Post by Bowedw »

I am trying to close my Amazon Account,it seems everytime I put something in the basket I get enrolled in Amazon prime for a months free deliveries then they start takeing monthly payments from my Bank Account. I have removed my card details but reall would like to delete my account and all my details from their site.
Some advice please.
DaveReading

Re: Amazon Account

Post by DaveReading »

Bowedw wrote:I am trying to close my Amazon Account,it seems everytime I put something in the basket I get enrolled in Amazon prime for a months free deliveries then they start takeing monthly payments from my Bank Account. I have removed my card details but reall would like to delete my account and all my details from their site.
Some advice please.

Close your Amazon account. :)

Joking aside, I was caught out (once) by the sneaky way Amazon defaults a transaction to include trial membership of Prime, which then turns into a monthly payment. The current trick appears to give you free delivery+Prime even where there is also a non-Prime free delivery option - you have to specifically choose the latter to avoid getting ensnared.

What annoyed me even more was that once you're on the Prime trial, the Cancel option is hidden away and hard to find.

Have you considered complaining to your bank ?
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I got caught by the enrolling in Prime when I opted for a free delivery. Once knowingly the other time by the sneaky method mentioned above. Not a problem, I put a note in my diary to cancel when the month was up. As it was, on the second one, they offered me another month which I took and changed diary entry.

At end of free periods, I just followed links to cancel. Only took a few mins. I think(??) they might have even sent me a warning that my free trial was coming to an end. Whatever, I just cancelled and no further problems.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

To cancel your free trial, click here or you can follow below easy steps:
Go to Manage Your Prime membership.
Click Manage Membership located at the top of the page, and then End trial and benefits
In the cancellation page, you can click End my benefits or Continue to cancel.
Since you are on your free trial period, you will not be charged for your current membership period.

I'm on a free trial - will cancel 2 days before the end
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

I was caught out their sneaky way of enlisting into Amazon Prime and I could not find any way on the website to cancel my membership, so I phoned them up to cancel my Prime account. While they were trying to badger me into keeping my new Prime account I had the even better idea of cancelling my Amazon account so that is what I did. I am not planning to use Amazon ever again because I don't like their way of doing business.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Google search - how to cancel Amazon. Lots of suggestions.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I closed my account a year or so ago. It was laborious to say the least. Every obstacle they threw in my way they claimed was for my protection.

I did get free. And it has been easier than many would say to live without them.
John
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I got the offer and checked it carefully before accepting. I'm pretty sure that careful checking enabled me to accept it without agreeing to ongoing charges. IIRC, it took so much trouble finding it that I nearly kicked Amazon into touch because there didn't seem to be a way of not accepting the trial. I hammered it for the free month and certainly never paid any Amazon Prime charges. After the end of the free trial, my Amazon orders continued for quite a while to come top speed in the Prime packing. Then I got another offer of a free trial and accepted it again but that time I got a message saying I was ineligible because I'd already had a free trial .....

One strange aftermath was that I've received a couple of spam messages pretending to be from Amazon Prime and inviting me to follow a link. Perhaps they thought that a rush of angry blood would lower recipients' guard. I forwarded the spam to the appropriate Amazon address and the first time got a genuine response from amazon/fr with a long message in French. I can't remember if I got an acknowledgment for the second, but it all stopped and that was a while ago so it may be that Amazon's spambusters are nearly as good as those on this forum.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

There's a reason Bezos is 'the richest man in history'... that doesn't happen by being nice and playing by the rules. If only it weren't so damn convenient. I'm wise to the prime scam - and what else is it?? - and have learnt to decline each time I buy. Yet another case of consumers being selective about our standards... we all moan furiosuly about the notion of child-labour and so on, but so many (inc. myself, I'm sorry to say) are happy to lap up the latest digital device and shop endlessly on Amazon. As we shall sew, so shall we reap - unless - and I'm going out on a shaky little limb here - unless there is no god and maybe, just maybe, we'll get away with it.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote:Yet another case of consumers being selective about our standards... we all moan furiosuly about the notion of child-labour and so on, but so many (inc. myself, I'm sorry to say) are happy to lap up the latest digital device and shop endlessly on Amazon. As we shall sew, so shall we reap - unless - and I'm going out on a shaky little limb here - unless there is no god and maybe, just maybe, we'll get away with it.

Is that a brilliant pun about child labour or a typo?

: - )

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Jonathan - I type so fast in a frenetic & misguided attempt to treat any & all forums as a form of cheap confessional, that it is unlikely that I have actually put any thought into the text, let alone mustered the energy and imagination to use a pun... I'll leave all that to the likes of Kenneth Horne and his chums - good old R4 extra!
However, while we're on the subject of Bezos, I note with some wry amusment that the lad's ex-wife, described intriguingly as 'an American novelist, billionaire, and venture philanthropist', is very busy lately, giving away as much of her late husband's hard-earned as she can - perhaps trying to undo as much of his wrongs as poss.! Funny old world, all this yin & yang...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

As I said, I had free Prime twice.

Once to order a cycle route guide in France. Second to order a route guide in Portugal.

Cancelled before paying, no digital devices bought. Happy to have Prime to save me postage. It ain't always so bad.
Bowedw

Post by Bowedw »

Oldjohnw wrote:I closed my account a year or so ago. It was laborious to say the least. Every obstacle they threw in my way they claimed was for my protection.

I did get free. And it has been easier than many would say to live without them.

I will also get free somehow, I have not bought off them for years and can certainly live without them as well.
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

Don't get mad, get even! I grumbled about wanting to stop this upselling to a Prime account happening every time I ordered anything and the person on the customer chat line decided I was going to be so hard to placate that they offered me £10 to go away - see below. It doesn't solve the problem - what I wanted was for Prime not to be the pre-selected default but that isn't going to happen. I had Prime for a year, and Amazon's big problem is that the bog-standard free delivery over £20 is so quick normally that there is no need for anything faster.

Greetings from Amazon Customer Service!

My name is xxxx and this email is in regards to the chat we had today for # xxxxxxxxx

I have processed refund of £10.00 and refund will be reflected back to your card in 5-7 business days.

I hope this help!

Did I solve your problem?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

backnotes wrote:Don't get mad, get even! I grumbled about wanting to stop this upselling to a Prime account happening every time I ordered anything and the person on the customer chat line decided I was going to be so hard to placate that they offered me £10 to go away - see below. It doesn't solve the problem - what I wanted was for Prime not to be the pre-selected default but that isn't going to happen. I had Prime for a year, and Amazon's big problem is that the bog-standard free delivery over £20 is so quick normally that there is no need for anything faster.

Greetings from Amazon Customer Service!

My name is xxxx and this email is in regards to the chat we had today for # xxxxxxxxx

I have processed refund of £10.00 and refund will be reflected back to your card in 5-7 business days.

I hope this help!

Did I solve your problem?

The free delivery for £20+ and over a tenner for books is fast enough for me.

I'm uncomfortable with the idea that some poor soul on the other side of the planet may suffer if they cannot please me over a matter of company policy. There's something in Linden Lea about "no man need heed my frowns." I don't like ringing any helplines and if it takes a lot of getting through I'm wound up by the time I speak to somebody, but I always stress my problem is not with them. One of my lines is "I understand this conversation is being recorded. The management of your company is in the hands of fools." A concluding line is sometimes "Thanks for your help. You have my sympathy. I've only had to ring once. You must wake up everyday dreading work."

My big exception is if I'm ringing on behalf of somebody else. Advocacy requires unlimited patience and manners to match.