Between Woolavington and Cossington; word to the roadie

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
cycle tramp

Between Woolavington and Cossington; word to the roadie

Post by cycle tramp »

Word to the roadie who overtook me this afternoon at around 13.45 hrs today 12th Dec 2021 on the lane between Woolavington and Cossington, Bridgwater, Somerset. After reaching the junction with the b road in Woolavington you turned south to the junction with the a road.

An 'on your right' would have been appreciated before you over took as would a larger over taking gap. There was no other traffic and you could have used all of the road space, instead of the foot you gave to clear my right hand pannier. If I had had to swerve, I would have taken us both out. Personally I reckon my bike would have survived the collision... not sure if yours would have (especially as both rear panniers were carrying 5kg of goods). Judging by the shake of your left hand (fingers downwards and open for those who are reading this) you may also want to double check your bike set up - carpal tunnel syndrome is bloomin' painful once it sets in.
Last edited by cycle tramp on 12 Dec 2020, 5:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Between Woolavington and Cossington; word to the roadie

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I use a mirror in case of such situations. A strategic wobble might wake them up
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

cycle tramp wrote:Word to the roadie who overtook me this afternoon at around 13.45 hrs today 12th Dec 2021 on the lane between Woolavington and Cossington, Bridgwater, Somerset. After reaching the junction with the b road in Woolavington you turned south to the junction with the a road.
An 'on your right' would have been appreciated before you over took as would a larger over taking gap. There was no other traffic and you could have used all of the road space, instead of the foot you gave to clear my right hand pannier. If I had had to swerve, I would have taken us both out. Personally I reckon my bike would have survived the collision... not sure if yours would have (especially as both rear panniers were carrying 5kg of goods). Judging by the shake of your left hand (fingers downwards and open for those who are reading this) you may also want to double check your bike set up - carpal tunnel syndrome is bloomin' painful once it sets in.

If I'm in Somerset next year I'll be sure to make sure I do as you ask :wink:
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I've never used On your right! Should I?

I'd always pass with 2m of space though especially during the days we are living in.

Cheers James
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Think you misheard me James , I was saying "are you alright" :D
Changing though since my wee Tour of Yorkshire this year I have picked up "How do" :D
Passing with a large gap I don’t see the need but used to find it very useful mountain biking. Hearing on your right you knew you’d to hold your line and not jump over to another attractive rut.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Jamesh wrote:I've never used On your right! Should I?

I'd always pass with 2m of space though especially during the days we are living in.

Cheers James

I try to do this too, often one may cycle on the grass beside the cycle way
Two metres is of course the minimum
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Jamesh wrote:I've never used On your right! Should I?

Cheers James

I try to do this too, often one may cycle on the grass beside the cycle way
Two metres is of course the minimum

A conundrum for you. Take a ride along the Bristol/Bath cycle path, a popular and fairly well maintained route popular with bikes, walkers, wheelchair users, pram pushers, dog walkers and a few oiks for good measure. Find me a point where i can pass another user with a 2m gap. :roll: Oh i know some bits are tarmacced to 3m or perhaps more but foliage, damaged surfaces, fences, drains etc mean the useable width, on quite a lot of the 14 mile length isn't even 2m. And what about the single track lanes, you couldn't get 2m apart unless both parties literally climbed into the hedges!

2m might be ideal, it might even be possible on some roads, in the real world though, its not going to happen very often.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!