Panic buying, hoarding

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Post by Jdsk »

mjr wrote:
Jdsk wrote:Why "should"?
It's been defined by a process rather than where it's made for quite a long time.

That does not make the decision correct.

Sure, but my question was why you think that it should... (come from Cheddar, or at least near it.).

Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

Jdsk wrote:
mjr wrote:
Jdsk wrote:Why "should"?
It's been defined by a process rather than where it's made for quite a long time.

That does not make the decision correct.

Sure, but my question was why you think that it should... (come from Cheddar, or at least near it.).

Things with a place name on the label should come from there, else it's false advertising. The other stuff should have to be called "Cheddar-style" or "Cheddar-y".

Similarly, Lincolnshire sausages should come from there, else be labelled "Lincolnshire recipe" or similar. I know this would upset a few place-specific food producers (and one famous British cheese among them) but it would reward far more.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

Jonathan
pwa

Post by pwa »

mjr wrote:
Jdsk wrote:
mjr wrote:That does not make the decision correct.

Things with a place name on the label should come from there, else it's false advertising. The other stuff should have to be called "Cheddar-style" or "Cheddar-y".

Similarly, Lincolnshire sausages should come from there, else be labelled "Lincolnshire recipe" or similar. I know this would upset a few place-specific food producers (and one famous British cheese among them) but it would reward far more.

With regard to cheddar, it has been a type of cheese rather than a place of origin for so long that the word now rarely relates to a place. That horse has bolted. Anyone can make Lancashire hot pot or Irish stew, and sell it as such in a pub in Leeds or Lowestoft because tradition now has it that those dishes are defined by their style and ingredients, not by where they come from. If you want to protect the geographical connection of a name you have to do it before the generic usage has become normal.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pwa wrote:
mjr wrote:
Jdsk wrote:Sure, but my question was why you think that it should... (come from Cheddar, or at least near it.).

With regard to cheddar, it has been a type of cheese rather than a place of origin for so long that the word now rarely relates to a place. That horse has bolted. Anyone can make Lancashire hot pot or Irish stew, and sell it as such in a pub in Leeds or Lowestoft because tradition now has it that those dishes are defined by their style and ingredients, not by where they come from. If you want to protect the geographical connection of a name you have to do it before the generic usage has become normal.

Yep and Stilton cheese doesn't come from Stilton. Melton Mowbray Pork pies don't have to be made in Melton etc etc.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mjr

Post by mjr »

pwa wrote:If you want to protect the geographical connection of a name you have to do it before the generic usage has become normal.

That's your opinion and you're welcome to it. No reason it has to be that way. That's like saying that because shopkeepers got away with putting loads of chalk in flour for a couple of decades, then it should be OK to describe it as "flour" forevermore — but in reality, adulteration was outlawed.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mjr wrote:
pwa wrote:If you want to protect the geographical connection of a name you have to do it before the generic usage has become normal.

That's your opinion and you're welcome to it. No reason it has to be that way. That's like saying that because shopkeepers got away with putting loads of chalk in flour for a couple of decades, then it should be OK to describe it as "flour" forevermore — but in reality, adulteration was outlawed.

So here you go - one single producer would be entitled to make Cheddar Cheese:

https://www.cheddaronline.co.uk/

The rest would have to make 'Cheddar-Style' cheese, yes?

Or is there a radius, maybe? If so, what is that radius, and why?

I think the point you were rather dismissive of is actually well made - and nothing like the adulteration of food, by the way.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Once they were able to afford a car, my parents drove all over Scotland on holidays. One of her Scottish friends in Leeds recommended the Selkirk Bannock and in the days when local specialities were still local, she went into a high-class shop somewhere in Scotland (the Hyacinth Bucket tendency) and requested a "circular Bannock" to bring back to Leeds as a gift for her friend. The very polite chap in the shop answered along the lines "They are all circular, Madame." One of my dear old dad's regular tales.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Apparently 80% of food imports come in containers which are unaffected by the blockade. Fish exports were shown stacked up at Brixham on the local news. Apparently they can freeze some of it.

I like sharp Cheddar. Aldi Caledonian Cheddar is great. Here in Somerset its easy to get decent Cheddar in local markets. Canadian Cheddar used to be good but I havent seen it just lately.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

al_yrpal wrote:Apparently 80% of food imports come in containers which are unaffected by the blockade. Fish exports were shown stacked up at Brixham on the local news. Apparently they can freeze some of it.

I like sharp Cheddar. Aldi Caledonian Cheddar is great. Here in Somerset its easy to get decent Cheddar in local markets. Canadian Cheddar used to be good but I havent seen it just lately.

Al

Darn it - I bet those Canuks are selling it to the EU as part of their Canada-Style Agreement we're so keen on :lol:
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographical_indications_and_traditional_specialities_in_the_European_Union

"The schemes are based on the legal framework provided by the EU Regulation No 1151/2012 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 21 November 2012 on quality schemes for agricultural products and foodstuffs.[2] This regulation (enforced within the EU and being gradually expanded internationally via bilateral agreements between the EU and non-EU countries) ensures that only products genuinely originating in that region are allowed to be identified as such in commerce. The legislation first came into force in 1992."
pwa

Post by pwa »

mikeymo wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographical_indications_and_traditional_specialities_in_the_European_Union

"The schemes are based on the legal framework provided by the EU Regulation No 1151/2012 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 21 November 2012 on quality schemes for agricultural products and foodstuffs.[2] This regulation (enforced within the EU and being gradually expanded internationally via bilateral agreements between the EU and non-EU countries) ensures that only products genuinely originating in that region are allowed to be identified as such in commerce. The legislation first came into force in 1992."

That is their own quirky take on things. And they never applied it to cheddar because even they recognised that nobody in their right mind thinks cheddar comes from a place called Cheddar. If a foodstuff is advertised as coming from a specific place, that is where it should come from, but that claim isn't made for cheddar.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

pwa wrote:
mikeymo wrote:

That is their own quirky take on things. And they never applied it to cheddar because even they recognised that nobody in their right mind thinks cheddar comes from a place called Cheddar. If a foodstuff is advertised as coming from a specific place, that is where it should come from, but that claim isn't made for cheddar.

Yes, you are completely correct.
Debs

Post by Debs »

pwa wrote:...And they never applied it to cheddar because even they recognised that nobody in their right mind thinks cheddar comes from a place called Cheddar.

Especially if it's Scottish, Welsh, or Irish Cheddar :D