2021 LEJOG

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
puffin

2021 LEJOG

Post by puffin »

There's only one thing to do during a Tier 4 Lockdown...plan LEJOG.

1) I've booked my sleeper ticket, now I'm back tracking down the calendar booking accommodation.

2) I've finally joined the elite, I've bought a 15 year old Dawes Ultra Galaxy (anybody wanna buy my Spa 725 Tourer? Its gotta dynamo and lights)

3) I've finalised my route, same as before to be honest. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31517493

And so it begins.... :D

Keep safe everyone and have a safe Christmas and New Year.
Paulatic

Re: 2021 LEJOG

Post by Paulatic »

Something to look forward to :D
Made me check CS website and amazed to find you can book a full year ahead that’s good.
Looking at your route in my area you might want to take the cycle path from Cardrona to Peebles. Brings you in at right end and is tarred the whole way.
Forth road bridge you’ve a bit of untidy routing. Take the East side and there’s a path along the side of A9000. You’ve routed around a high speed roundabout.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Wheeledwidewebb

Post by Wheeledwidewebb »

Agreed, it has got me planning as well

Merry Christmas.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Hi' Puffin.
Mile 53 looks to be a rough lane ? (Google street view.)
May want to carry straight on and take next right for a smoother ride. :)
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

What size is the spa tourer?
Not that I need another bike!!

Cheers James
puffin

Post by puffin »

Paulatic wrote:Something to look forward to :D
Made me check CS website and amazed to find you can book a full year ahead that’s good.
Looking at your route in my area you might want to take the cycle path from Cardrona to Peebles. Brings you in at right end and is tarred the whole way.
Forth road bridge you’ve a bit of untidy routing. Take the East side and there’s a path along the side of A9000. You’ve routed around a high speed roundabout.

Thanks for taking the trouble to look at this, that is really useful. Riding through Cardrona once i startled a sleeping bunch of horses (apart from the one keeping watch) who shot to their feet amidst much snorting and farting. I don't know if you have any influence in your neck of the woods, but could you msntion to the powers that be about the road surface between Peebles and Edinburgh???? :)
Spot on re; the Forth Bridge routing its a quirk of software, and i always use the East side
Thanks agaig
Bill
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Bill,
we build roads with boulders up here none of that namby pandy fine grit. :lol:
It’s a toss up which way is rougher but I think the A701 through Broughton might trump your choice.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
puffin

Post by puffin »

Jamesh wrote:What size is the spa tourer?
Not that I need another bike!!

Cheers James

Hi James,
its 57cm.
puffin

Post by puffin »

cycleruk wrote:Hi' Puffin.

Hi Cycleruk, thanks for that, I'll update it. I think the route planning software alters what I put in if I join all the days together. I think round there I use a disused rail track round there. Thanks again

Best wishes

Bill
puffin

Post by puffin »

puffin wrote:
cycleruk wrote:Hi' Puffin.

Hi Cycleruk, thanks for that, I'll update it. I think the route planning software alters what I put in if I join all the days together. I think round there I use a disused rail track round there. Thanks again

Best wishes

Bill

I remember that place from last year. The lady who lives in the bungalow between the track and the road said I should go straight on and turn right, which I did. Good spot!
scoot

Post by scoot »

Hi,

I'm planning a 12 day LEJOG for 2022 and looking at routes, I want to use quiet back roads, happy to do a bit of gravel and need it to be reasonably direct.

Bit of a cheeky ask but would your route fit that discription?

My son is coming with me and will want to use his trek road bike, we'll sort better tyres and mudguards, it does have mudguard / rack mounts so its not too racy, more enduarance.

I'm waiting to determine which bike I'll use when I have found the right route. I've got a Giant enduarance which is quite light, a Scott cx which would be more rugged and also my 1979 Raleigh Record Ace which is my favoured bike and suitable for light touring - we'll be staying in hotels and B&Bs

Thanks and enjoy your ride :)

Paul
Two wheels good, 4 wheels bad
Enigmadick

Post by Enigmadick »

I'm planning a 12 day LEJOG for 2022 and looking at routes, I want to use quiet back roads, happy to do a bit of gravel and need it to be reasonably direct

Sounds like you're looking for what Cicerone are calling "the optimal route" in their new Lejog guide - quiet back roads and traffic free trails, such as the Strawberry Trail and the Granite Way without much meandering. Recced and rode it on a 25c/28c combo, but it'd be a tad more comfortable on something in the mid 30's.
ENIGMA DICK aka Richard Barrett
scoot

Post by scoot »

Thanks Enigma Duck,

I'll check Cicerones Optimal route and start my own post as I don't want to divert this one - Sorry OP.

Thanks,

Paul
puffin

Post by puffin »

scoot wrote:Hi,

I'm planning a 12 day LEJOG for 2022 and looking at routes, I want to use quiet back roads, happy to do a bit of gravel and need it to be reasonably direct.

Bit of a cheeky ask but would your route fit that discription?

My son is coming with me and will want to use his trek road bike, we'll sort better tyres and mudguards, it does have mudguard / rack mounts so its not too racy, more enduarance.

I'm waiting to determine which bike I'll use when I have found the right route. I've got a Giant enduarance which is quite light, a Scott cx which would be more rugged and also my 1979 Raleigh Record Ace which is my favoured bike and suitable for light touring - we'll be staying in hotels and B&Bs

Thanks and enjoy your ride :)

Paul

Hi Paul, my route has very little gravel, but lots of C Roads and about 61,000 feet in climbs. Hope this helps, enjoy the trip.
scoot

Post by scoot »

Thanks Puffin,

I think the planning is going to take as long as the ride

Paul