Who's had the vaccine?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Elizabeth_S

Re: Who's had the vaccine?

Post by Elizabeth_S »

my sister, covid ICU, I should add that she is in her 60s so this is a great relief for all of us
Syd

Post by Syd »

So now 24 hours on from having the vaccine.

Only one, extremely minor, side effect is a mild tenderness around the area of the injection. To be expected.

Mrs Syd had her vaccine yesterday too and is also fine.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Syd wrote:So now 24 hours on from having the vaccine.

Only one, extremely minor, side effect is a mild tenderness around the area of the injection. To be expected.

Blair (remember him?) is saying a single dose gives 90% immunity and that we should be giving that single dose to as many vulnerable and care / health sector people as possible before thinking about second doses. That does make some sense.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pwa wrote:

Blair (remember him?) is saying a single dose gives 90% immunity and that we should be giving that single dose to as many vulnerable and care / health sector people as possible before thinking about second doses. That does make some sense.

It must also depend on how quickly immunity fades following a single and 2 doses. Some vaccines, 1st dose (or sometimes 1st two doses) might give you "protection" for a year (or a period) but a subsequent vaccination provides much much longer cover. So a lot will depend on how long the 1st dose alone remains effective.

Plus complexities with vaccine availability e.g. can you give the 1st dose of Pfizer and 2nd of Oxford/Zeneca as Pfizer might not be available for some time after current batch so what is the outcome from mixing vaccines 1st and 2nd dose - and I suspect nobody knows.

So to change an established tested protocol days after approving it and with such limited research on the potential impacts would seem ... daft?

I had never realised Blair was also an expert on vaccine (as well as war-mongering).

Ian
rjb

Post by rjb »

How did you look before you had the jab. :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
horizon

Post by horizon »

Psamathe wrote:I had never realised Blair was also an expert on vaccine (as well as war-mongering).

Ian

He has a WMD (Doctorate in World Medicine).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
ossie

Post by ossie »

I'd love to hear from Witty or Van Tam about this one jab proposal. If it offers the 91% as suggested over the 95% for two it sounds like a complete no brainer even if longer term immunity is compromised. We can always play catch up when the virus is under control.

There are various arguments going around elsewhere, unfortunately the fact it came from Blair is overriding and clouding any useful debate.
Syd

Post by Syd »

rjb wrote:

How did you look before you had the jab. :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

[emoji23][emoji23]
Syd

Post by Syd »

Psamathe wrote:
pwa wrote:

It must also depend on how quickly immunity fades following a single and 2 doses. Some vaccines, 1st dose (or sometimes 1st two doses) might give you "protection" for a year (or a period) but a subsequent vaccination provides much much longer cover. So a lot will depend on how long the 1st dose alone remains effective.

Plus complexities with vaccine availability e.g. can you give the 1st dose of Pfizer and 2nd of Oxford/Zeneca as Pfizer might not be available for some time after current batch so what is the outcome from mixing vaccines 1st and 2nd dose - and I suspect nobody knows.

So to change an established tested protocol days after approving it and with such limited research on the potential impacts would seem ... daft?

I had never realised Blair was also an expert on vaccine (as well as war-mongering).

Ian

All the vaccine centres I know of are saving half of each lot of vaccine to allow the case one to be used for the second jab.

Giving a second jab from a different brand would almost certainly go against guidance and be a breach of the medical regulations.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I wonder if Blair is positioning himself to be the leader of some sort of government of national unity if a combination of things like a national shortage of lavatory paper means there's a big clean-up job to be done. I think he must really see himself as an elder statesman awaiting the inevitable recall.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

GNU with Bliar, Plus One?
Nobody knows how long immunity might last after a first or second injection, I submit
Is there supposed to be some immunity after the first, when one takes the two-part vaccine, or is it a bit like those two-part adhesives?
Please may we see certified Before and After images of Syd? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

pwa wrote:

Just been on the news there now -- 1St dose gives about 50% immunity ??
I am here. Where are you?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Being in the 70-75 group, Mrs P and I will be getting our shots some time in February, I understand. We're happy to wait: in Tier 4 lockdown it makes little difference anyway.

I just had a call from the chairman of the bridge club I used to go to pre-Covid (when will we ever be able to play face-to-face again? :| ). He tells me that all the over-80s in the club (of which there are a fair number) have had their first shots, and all are doing well. So that's good news.

Meanwhile, we're a little bit concerned about our next-door neighbour, who hasn't been offered the jab. She'll be turning 105 next week. She's in good health and jolly sprightly for her age - my wife had a chat (at social distance) the other day - although fed up with being virtually housebound. I wonder if, for people of that age, the jab is considered too risky? If anyone can explain, I'd appreciate it.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Of course there may be reasons why she shouldn't have it as an individual, but I'm not aware of any bar based on high age.

But the programme is still patchy by area.

I recommend checking with her GP.

Jonathan
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

thirdcrank wrote:I wonder if Blair is positioning himself to be the leader of some sort of government of national unity if a combination of things like a national shortage of lavatory paper means there's a big clean-up job to be done. I think he must really see himself as an elder statesman awaiting the inevitable recall.

If his 91% claim is along the same lines as his "Education for All" promise then I don't think he'll get my vote.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !