Reuse vape bottles make perfect oil dispensers

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
niggle

Re: Reuse vape bottles make perfect oil dispensers

Post by niggle »

Gattonero wrote:Good idea.
But I always see any smoking device, or things related to, as something to avoid. Not sure how many cyclists do smoke. Would those containers have any smell from that liquid? I've no idea, perhaps I'm wrong and they don't smell.

To be fair vaping is not smoking, the health risks have been found to be significantly reduced compared to smoking, although not totally negated, and from observation it does not seem to affect the performance of a vaping cyclist I know. The containers do not smell if washed out properly and vaping liquid comes in either a tobacco flavouring, which is not the same as tobacco smoke, or any of a vast range of flavours completely unrelated to tobacco like fruit or sweets.

From https://www.gov.uk/government/news/e-ci ... ark-review

An expert independent evidence review published today by Public Health England (PHE) concludes that e-cigarettes are significantly less harmful to health than tobacco and have the potential to help smokers quit smoking.

Key findings of the review include:

the current best estimate is that e-cigarettes are around 95% less harmful than smoking
nearly half the population (44.8%) don’t realise e-cigarettes are much less harmful than smoking
there is no evidence so far that e-cigarettes are acting as a route into smoking for children or non-smokers

The review, commissioned by PHE and led by Professor Ann McNeill (King’s College London) and Professor Peter Hajek (Queen Mary University of London), suggests that e-cigarettes may be contributing to falling smoking rates among adults and young people. Following the review PHE has published a paper on the implications of the evidence for policy and practice.

The comprehensive review of the evidence finds that almost all of the 2.6 million adults using e-cigarettes in Great Britain are current or ex-smokers, most of whom are using the devices to help them quit smoking or to prevent them going back to cigarettes. It also provides reassurance that very few adults and young people who have never smoked are becoming regular e-cigarette users (less than 1% in each group).

However, the review raises concerns that increasing numbers of people think e-cigarettes are equally or more harmful than smoking (22.1% in 2015, up from 8.1% in 2013: ASH Smokefree GB survey) or don’t know (22.7% in 2015, ASH Smokefree GB survey).

Despite this trend all current evidence finds that e-cigarettes carry a fraction of the risk of smoking.

Emerging evidence suggests some of the highest successful quit rates are now seen among smokers who use an e-cigarette and also receive additional support from their local stop smoking services.

Professor Kevin Fenton, Director of Health and Wellbeing at Public Health England said:

Smoking remains England’s number one killer and the best thing a smoker can do is to quit completely, now and forever.

E-cigarettes are not completely risk free but when compared to smoking, evidence shows they carry just a fraction of the harm. The problem is people increasingly think they are at least as harmful and this may be keeping millions of smokers from quitting. Local stop smoking services should look to support e-cigarette users in their journey to quitting completely.

Professor Ann McNeill, King’s College London and independent author of the review, said:

There is no evidence that e-cigarettes are undermining England’s falling smoking rates. Instead the evidence consistently finds that e-cigarettes are another tool for stopping smoking and in my view smokers should try vaping and vapers should stop smoking entirely.

E-cigarettes could be a game changer in public health in particular by reducing the enormous health inequalities caused by smoking.

Professor Peter Hajek, Queen Mary University London and independent author of the review said:

My reading of the evidence is that smokers who switch to vaping remove almost all the risks smoking poses to their health. Smokers differ in their needs and I would advise them not to give up on e-cigarettes if they do not like the first one they try. It may take some experimentation with different products and e-liquids to find the right one.

Professor Linda Bauld, Cancer Research UK’s expert in cancer prevention, said:

Fears that e-cigarettes have made smoking seem normal again or even led to people taking up tobacco smoking are not so far being realised based on the evidence assessed by this important independent review. In fact, the overall evidence points to e-cigarettes actually helping people to give up smoking tobacco.

Free Stop Smoking Services remain the most effective way for people to quit but we recognise the potential benefits for e-cigarettes in helping large numbers of people move away from tobacco.

Cancer Research UK is funding more research to deal with the unanswered questions around these products including the longer-term impact.

Lisa Surtees, acting director at Fresh Smoke Free North East, the first region where all local stop smoking services are actively promoted as e-cigarette friendly, said:

Despite making great strides to reduce smoking, tobacco is still our biggest killer. Our region has always kept an open mind towards using electronic cigarettes as we can see the massive potential health benefits from switching.

All of our local NHS Stop Smoking Services now proactively welcome anyone who wants to use these devices as part of their quit attempt and increase their chance of success.

Plus:

ASH Fact Sheet on the use of electronic cigarettes among adults in Great Britain
It is notable that a quarter of respondents were also concerned about ‘substituting one addiction
for another’ – this could indicate some misunderstanding about the relative harm from nicotine.
Those smokers who haven’t yet tried an electronic cigarette are also more likely to have poor
understanding of the harms from nicotine than smokers who have tried electronic cigarettes.
Only 8% of smokers who haven’t tried an electronic cigarette correctly state that nicotine’s
contribution to the risk from smoking is none or very small, whereas 44% wrongly believe it is at
least half the risk or more

From this PDF from the anti-smoking group Action on Smoking & Health: http://www.ash.org.uk/files/documents/ASH_891.pdf
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Good luck with that, to me is still an addiction that is not necessary.
Soy sauce, aside from sodium, doesn't pose severe health risk, nor addiction :)
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
niggle

Post by niggle »

Gattonero wrote:Good luck with that, to me is still an addiction that is not necessary.

Did you not read any of the above? It clearly sates there is no severe health risk from vaping. Nicotine without the smoke is no more risky than caffeine... do you drink tea or coffee?

EDIT: and as for the monosodium glutamate in Soy Sauce, quite probably worse for people with high blood pressure....
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Duh, I know lot of people (not cyclists) that went to e-cigs and most of them have always a sore throat and are constanlty puffing on that thing.
I know it sounds rude, and I don't want to sound disrespectful, but I can't help thinking how bad is to inhale some chemicals "to feel better".
Riding a bicycle makes people feel better, a more positive addiction :)
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

Only regret in my life, starting smoking.
I do vape, next to no nicotine now, mixing 5ml zero % "juice" with a dash of 6mg "juice". started on 18mg
Just got to get out of the puffing habit.
When smoking, resting HR 80, now 60.

I can't help thinking how bad is to inhale some chemicals "to feel better"

couldn't agree with you more, but it's a damn site healthier than smoking.

Back to the orriginal post. I have chain lube in 10ml vape juice bottles, in my pack for mountain biking, and in my panniers for touring.
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Being forced to contact lenses, I use eye-drops, so every few months there's containers to be used.
Those would be pretty much that size, so useful for touring with a few people or for a very long journey
tommydog

Post by tommydog »

Pneumant wrote:This nozzle is a simple insert into the bottle and can be pulled off without problem. Fill using an oil can and the result is an ever so handy oiler which is small enough to carry on the bike yet so good that it is what I use to lube the bike at home & also for household tasks such as door hinges. The long nozzle is perfect for lubing derailleur pivots with precision.

That's an interesting post. I was looking for a small bottle like this for tour, but not being a smoker, I never even knew these things existed!

Out of interest what is the largest size vape bottle that they sell with a removable nozzle and a screw cap top (like the design you have shown)
Cyclewala

Post by Cyclewala »

I wouldn't bother using ex smokers bottle considering you can buy 10 new bottles for a couple of quid.

Search ebay for squeezable dropper bottles and pick your size. I've got a 5ml one I take on tour. They are intended for ear/eye drops or other chemist/lab activity. I've got a few spare but postage to send you won't make it worthwhile.
2_i

Post by 2_i »

Gattonero wrote:But I always see any smoking device, or things related to, as something to avoid. Not sure how many cyclists do smoke. Would those containers have any smell from that liquid? I've no idea, perhaps I'm wrong and they don't smell.

Indeed, makes one wonder about secondary uses of Cyclone-B tanks. However, I have sinned myself by purchasing a chain lube additive from a gun supplier.
Pneumant

Post by Pneumant »

tommydog wrote:
Pneumant wrote:This nozzle is a simple insert into the bottle and can be pulled off without problem. Fill using an oil can and the result is an ever so handy oiler which is small enough to carry on the bike yet so good that it is what I use to lube the bike at home & also for household tasks such as door hinges. The long nozzle is perfect for lubing derailleur pivots with precision.

That's an interesting post. I was looking for a small bottle like this for tour, but not being a smoker, I never even knew these things existed!

Out of interest what is the largest size vape bottle that they sell with a removable nozzle and a screw cap top (like the design you have shown)

I'm no smoker either :)
The work 'posse' of Vapers is now down to one and his containers are hard plastic and also too large to be of interest to me. However a quick ebay search shows a source for the small bottles I described which are £3.51 for x5 50ml. The listing also details other sizes available/
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LDPE-Dropper ... SwFBlfb8-I
robert17

Post by robert17 »

Can I ask which product you put in your new found bottle? I'm not brand loyal at all and have found most dry lubes to be pretty average at best so prefer a wet lube or even just 'oil'. My mother tells me that when desperate in the early fifties she even used cooking oil.
Cyclewala

Post by Cyclewala »

robert17 wrote:Can I ask which product you put in your new found bottle? I'm not brand loyal at all and have found most dry lubes to be pretty average at best so prefer a wet lube or even just 'oil'. My mother tells me that when desperate in the early fifties she even used cooking oil.

I've used all sorts from oils sold for bikes such as weldtite or 3 in 1 to leftover engine oil. The latter is now my preferred oil. When changing the car's oil, there's usually dribs of oil left at the bottom of the can. I just funnel this into a small bottle. It's thick and attracts lots of crud. So, I run the chain by hand round the drivetrain to work the oil into the bushings. Then wipe the surface of the chain to remove the excess. I find it resists rain washout better than conventional bike lubes.
Pneumant

Post by Pneumant »

robert17 wrote:Can I ask which product you put in your new found bottle? I'm not brand loyal at all and have found most dry lubes to be pretty average at best so prefer a wet lube or even just 'oil'. My mother tells me that when desperate in the early fifties she even used cooking oil.

I tend to use mineral 80w Gear oil for 'topping' up the chain and a lighter oil such as ATF for lubing derailleur pivots etc.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Gattonero wrote:Good luck with that, to me is still an addiction that is not necessary.

An addiction that is not necessary? What does that mean? Like saying diabetes type 1 or suffering from clinical depression is not necessary. Or any illness.

I shall keep a few of the 4-5 10ml vape bottles I get through each week. Yes I am a nicotine addict. I am also an alcoholic - staying totally dry for over 17 years continues to take ALL my willpower, can't kick 2 addictions simultaneously.
oneten

Post by oneten »

Gattonero wrote:
Good idea.
But I always see any smoking device, or things related to, as something to avoid. Not sure how many cyclists do smoke. Would those containers have any smell from that liquid? I've no idea, perhaps I'm wrong and they don't smell.

Perhaps, but where would we be without those old 2 ounce tobacco tins in which we store all our drill bits, Allen keys and other odds and ends? I still have a couple of tins still in use from when I used to smoke as an apprentice in the 1970s. I once hit the jackpot working at a customer's house a few years ago, where they had a whole stack of empty 'Amber Leaf' rolling tobacco tins. Being a bit cheeky, I asked if they could spare me a couple and they gave me half a dozen.