Booze cruises

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
simonhill

Re: Booze cruises

Post by simonhill »

thirdcrank wrote:
Jdsk posted his link while I was typing and the current limits appear more generous than they used to be

They are a lot more generous. It is now 7 cases of 25cl dumpy beers. It used to be one or two I think. Much more wine as well - about 25 bottles.

Fags still at 200, although this was criticised by health campaigners. For Australia (and maybe other countries) there is no duty free allowance for tobacco products. They are not allowed to be imported.

Self use, but giving as a gift is allowed

By the way, the link above has a rogue x at the beginning.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/bringing-go ... nuary-2021
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks. Fixed.

Jonathan
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

My only booze cruise was from Poole to Cherbourg for the day just after we were married. We had a two man rent with no awning.

So we hopped over the channel to Cherbourg and off the carrflour where the price of wine was crazy to us students and we loaded up more than we could carry... Then in the tent isle we found a 6 man tent for £60 bargain we thought no idea how to get the tent + wine + baggettes + cheese home. Then we spotted a trolley , so with the tent across it and the wine on top and packet of bunggie straps to hood it together we managed to cobble it together and back to the ferry. The tent lasted about 10 years

Happy days!

Cheers James
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

When I was studying in Bangor there were occasional cheap ferry deals across to Dublin. As well as the ferry trip you got a bottle of whisky in the deal. Never could work out the economics of this but it was around the break even point if you just took the whisky and stayed at home. Someone soon learned and the whisky was handed out on the return trip. Buses to various sources of alcohol were waiting on the other side of the water. :shock:
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

mattsccm wrote:When I was studying in Bangor there were occasional cheap ferry deals across to Dublin. As well as the ferry trip you got a bottle of whisky in the deal. Never could work out the economics of this but it was around the break even point if you just took the whisky and stayed at home. Someone soon learned and the whisky was handed out on the return trip. Buses to various sources of alcohol were waiting on the other side of the water. :shock:

I once took this deal. I spent the day riding the military road over the Wicklows with an American I met on the ferry. Though he was loaded for a long European tour he gave me a hard time on the climbs.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

jb wrote:We were still in the EU then. How can we return to it when we're not anything to do with them?

It was before the Single Market, which we are once again outside.
Bazza55

Post by Bazza55 »

In the past, our CTC group have cycled from Sheffield to Hull, via the north bank of the Humber and caught the ferry to Zeebrugge. After a day riding around Flanders, returned to Zeebrugge caught the same ferry back to Hull then crossed the Humber Bridge and cycled back to Sheffield on the south bank. Unfortunately, P and O Ferries announced a few weeks ago that the Hull to Zeebrugge ferry is to be discontinued, only the Rotterdam service will remain.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I used to do Dover Calais free on Tesco Clubcard points. It was a long day but well worth it to a wine shop called Bottles. The had odd bottles and half cases but there were real gems to be had. Fantastic St Joseph at €4 a pop etc. Collecting points now in anticipation.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

That Ciaran tweet reads like a spoof to me. Anyway, it wasn't actually the ferry cos that caused the chaos, this time at least.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bmblbzzz wrote:That Ciaran tweet reads like a spoof to me.

Kent Online: "DFDS ferry company to offer Kent residents one free return journey post Covid-19 after Christmas lorry disruption"
https://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent/news/free-future-ferry-crossings-for-kent-residents-239858/

Jonathan
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Wow!
the dark lord

Post by the dark lord »

As a relative youngster from Manchester I have never seen the benefit of a booze cruise as others have said the prices in France or Ireland have always been similar to the UK for me.

That said I was in in central France a few years ago doing a big shop in the Leclerc in Lasouteraine. I noticed that there was a few pallets of boxes of wine which the locals were buying a couple of each. It turned out to be 5ltr of Rose for 10 euros. Very nice it was too. As a family of 4 adults we went back a few days later intending to buy a few to bring home. Needless to say there wasn't any left.

They also had a raft of English Real Ales for twice the UK price so it works both ways I suppose.

The mother in law goes to France or through France several times a year. She makes a big thing of getting across the channel with an empty tank and filling up in France and then getting to the channel on an empty tank and filling up before crossing back supposibly for the savings. But with the exchange rates as they are and the cost of fuel in France being around 1,30 I don't see the point and just fill when needed.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

If you find the price of alcohol high cut down and drink less frequently meaning
1.weight loss
2.gains in fitness and longevity
3.less tedious in conversation
4.ehanced sexual pleasure
This was part of todays sermon.
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

I never went for the booze just great places within 35 miles of Calais. Once this *********y virus is under control or i am vaccinated i want to spend a few days around st Omer and find good routes through the marais with or without cheap trips. Great area to visit.