Propane space heaters

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bikepacker

Propane space heaters

Post by bikepacker »

I have a large double garage where I store my bikes and do all the maintenance. In the winter it is always cold so I use a couple of infrared heaters but they are not that satisfactory. I have been looking into having a space heater, two types come up on internet searches propane or diesel fuelled.

Do any of you have recommendations on ones you have used and what capacity do you think would be required to heat a double garage with high roof to a comfortable working temperature?
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Pebble

Re: Propane space heaters

Post by Pebble »

I had a propane one but it just give me a head ache, I think it was about 11kw and it did heat a double garage on the coldest of days. But I thought the head aches was not a good sign so got shot of it.

I now use a 2kw electric space heater, it is easy to move around so as long as it is close and blowing on me, when i'm working on the bike it is tolerable.
Last edited by Pebble on 28 Dec 2020, 9:58am, edited 1 time in total.
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Suggest that the first priority is to make sure the space is well insulated. It gets expensive, heating the sky.

Then perhaps a log burner. There are usually plenty of abandoned pallets to be found. They make excellent fuel.

https://www.directstoves.com/firefox-5- ... ource=aw&a
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

a problem with any fuel burning heater in an otherwise cold space is that (unless the flue is vented outside as per a wood burning stove) the heater throws out as much water vapour as heat. The result is that the water vapour condenses and streams off of everything that is cold. If the space isn't sufficiently well ventilated you can end up breathing fume (not good) and/or with a damp problem, and things can start to go rusty when they shouldn't.

The high roof (which is presumably not well insulated) is a problem; basically you will be heating all the air beneath the roof before the air below that (where you are) even starts to get warm, and if the building is the slightest bit draughty, the effect of that is that you will get super strong convection which will suck cold air in; in a garage with a pitched roof it'll typically come blasting in under the door, and leak out through/around the roof.

If you are working for a couple of hours in the evening, it may take an hour to heat the space (even with a powerful heater) and it may cool off again in about half that time.

My suggestion is that since bikes don't require a huge space for working on, that you consider making a small partitioned space within the garage, and work within that. The partitioning can be as simple/temporary as some cheap tarpaulins hung off a simple wooden framework. Heating that smaller space (eg using the infra-red heaters you have already) ought to be much, much easier.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Maybe there is space in the house proper to do the work
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Maybe there is space in the house proper to do the work
There used to be a joke saying that a cyclist does maintenance in the house because a carpet captures stray ball bearings, and a nylon carpet is to be preferred because it does not smell when damp whereas a wool one might. In extreme cases there may be a notch in the dining room table to accommodate a vice.

In the run up to Christmas I had tricycle in the dining room, changing the handlebar stem; and a part built bike leaning against the radiator in the living room. The trike is now back with its brethren in the shed, and it's place in the dining room has been taken by the bike which is awaiting parts.

New year resolution - I must wash the dining room carpet :P
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Some very good advice above.

Safety
Fire and carbon monoxide.

Water produced by combustion
As above: where's it going to go? Fully ducted exhaust systems are available but of course increase the cost.

Insulation and draughts
What's it like at the moment? Can you reduce the heat loss? Can you bring it up to domestic standards?

Capacity
What's the volume?

Purpose
Would you be happy with the storage space unheated but a working area heated?

Jonathan
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

I have an old carpet in the garage, it makes a big difference over a cold concrete floor.

If you hav full size metal doors then there is no chance insulating the garage.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Just get a quilted boiler suit, you'll be as warm as toast!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

philvantwo wrote:Just get a quilted boiler suit, you'll be as warm as toast!

Is probably the right, low-tech answer :)

OTOH a little wood-fired stove could be had for not much money, and make a nice little project in itself :wink:
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

I can recommend M&S thermal underwear and 3 seasons walking socks.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Brucey wrote:My suggestion is that since bikes don't require a huge space for working on, that you consider making a small partitioned space within the garage, and work within that. The partitioning can be as simple/temporary as some cheap tarpaulins hung off a simple wooden framework. Heating that smaller space (eg using the infra-red heaters you have already) ought to be much, much easier.

cheers

Something similar has been considered and may yet be a possibility.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Philip Benstead wrote:

I can recommend M&S thermal underwear and 3 seasons walking socks.

I have lots of thermal clothing. Up until my wife got ill in 2018 I did some winter cycle camping.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

There used to be a joke saying that a cyclist does maintenance in the house because a carpet captures stray ball bearings, and a nylon carpet is to be preferred because it does not smell when damp whereas a wool one might. In extreme cases there may be a notch in the dining room table to accommodate a vice.
That reminded me of a chum who built a motorbike in his bedroom.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

FWIW,a 2.4m x 1.2m sheet of 18mm plywood or 10mm ply on top of a sheet of 25mm polystyrene to insulate from a concrete floor,warm clothing particularly feet and head,and a pair of gloves with just the ends of the index finger and thumb cut out.
I use a 2kw electric oil filled radiator to take the chill off kept close to me say just under the bike I'm working on if it's on a workstand.
There's no point trying to heat the whole garage you're fighting a losing battle especially if it's concrete or brick built with a steel door.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden