Who's had the vaccine?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Who's had the vaccine?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Just shows how little anyone knows
Maybe control groups be dealt with at intervals of three days, three weeks, three months
In about 90 years one might have reliable data :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

ossie wrote:
pwa wrote:Blair (remember him?) is saying a single dose gives 90% immunity and that we should be giving that single dose to as many vulnerable and care / health sector people as possible before thinking about second doses. That does make some sense.

It appears they are going to do exactly what Blair suggested. Yet the amount of grief he got on here and other social media :wink:

The government said the vaccine rollout will change slightly to focus on giving as many at-risk people as possible the initial vaccine dose.

People receiving the Oxford vaccine or the one from Pfizer/BioNTech, which is also being rolled out, will now receive their first dose of the vaccine followed by a second dose up to 12 weeks later.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-oxf ... k-12155958

The approval is great news.

I'm looking forward to seeing the regime. It will be an interesting bit of regulation if it is different from what was used in the submitted studies. My guess is they will go for a longer gap but with extra surveillance so that the new regime is run as a new study.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Just shows how little anyone knows
Maybe control groups be dealt with at intervals of three days, three weeks, three months
In about 90 years one might have reliable data

The knowledge at the start of the vaccine development and what has been added with the studies is little short of astounding, and the timescale of the delivery of a safe effective vaccine totally unprecedented

We have reliable data now. We'll have a lot more soon.

What does "control groups be dealt with at intervals of three days" mean? What should be measured then?

Thanks

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote:
ossie wrote:
pwa wrote:Blair (remember him?) is saying a single dose gives 90% immunity and that we should be giving that single dose to as many vulnerable and care / health sector people as possible before thinking about second doses. That does make some sense.

It appears they are going to do exactly what Blair suggested. Yet the amount of grief he got on here and other social media :wink:

The government said the vaccine rollout will change slightly to focus on giving as many at-risk people as possible the initial vaccine dose.

People receiving the Oxford vaccine or the one from Pfizer/BioNTech, which is also being rolled out, will now receive their first dose of the vaccine followed by a second dose up to 12 weeks later.

My worry is that the trial data still show 62% and with the more infectious strain even with 100% vaccination take-up that is far from enough for herd immunity. Government are selling this as "'way out' of pandemic" (Hancock, today). And once vaccinated with the 62% vaccine you are unlikely to be re-vaccinated with e.g. 90+% vaccine later.

(I appreciate that Oxford vaccine trials are still underway due to their dosage error in a small number of recipients).

Ian
Phileas

Post by Phileas »

Psamathe wrote:My worry is that the trial data still show 62% and with the more infectious strain even with 100% vaccination take-up that is far from enough for herd immunity. Government are selling this as "'way out' of pandemic" (Hancock, today). And once vaccinated with the 62% vaccine you are unlikely to be re-vaccinated with e.g. 90+% vaccine later.

But the 62% effectiveness (AIUI) refers to preventing people developing COVID-19, not preventing infection or preventing transmission. The most important thing is to prevent people getting seriously ill and nobody vaccinated in the trials for the two approved vaccines got seriously ill.

Herd immunity is another thing altogether - we don’t yet know how effective any vaccine is in that regard.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote:
ossie wrote:

I'm looking forward to seeing the regime. It will be an interesting bit of regulation if it is different from what was used in the submitted studies. My guess is they will go for a longer gap but with extra surveillance so that the new regime is run as a new study.

MHRA press release: "Oxford University/AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine approved"
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/oxford-universityastrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-approved

includes:
"The Oxford University/AstraZeneca vaccine has been approved for use for people 18 years or older and consists of two doses, with the second dose administered 4-12 weeks after the first dose."

Jonathan
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Jdsk wrote:What does "control groups be dealt with at intervals of three days" mean?

Yes, I was wondering that.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Jdsk wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing the regime. It will be an interesting bit of regulation if it is different from what was used in the submitted studies. My guess is they will go for a longer gap but with extra surveillance so that the new regime is run as a new study.

Jonathan

Does this "roll out" of the vaccine count as Phase IV of the same study?

https://www.nccn.org/patients/resources/clinical_trials/phases.aspx
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I don't know what either the developers or the regulators are doing next.

But the bit that you just quoted was before I knew the approved interval between doses.

Jonathan
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

mikeymo wrote:
Jdsk wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing the regime. It will be an interesting bit of regulation if it is different from what was used in the submitted studies. My guess is they will go for a longer gap but with extra surveillance so that the new regime is run as a new study.

Jonathan

Does this "roll out" of the vaccine count as Phase IV of the same study?

https://www.nccn.org/patients/resources/clinical_trials/phases.aspx

It sort of does - there is no way to ethically test the effectiveness amongst the immunosuppressed. However there is no evidence that it will cause any harm - so there is a pretty good reasoning to give it anyway...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pwa

Post by pwa »

The Westminster Government is saying half of all over 80s in England have had their first jab, which is great. But in our S Wales village none have had it yet, and there are tales of people in a nearby town receiving their letter after the date of their appointment. The post is so slow at the moment that it can't keep up.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Let's get going...! My medical centre is about to start using the cricket ground facilities to stick it to us locals...
Attachments
Good enough for other animals...
Good enough for other animals...
Last edited by simonineaston on 17 Jan 2021, 8:45pm, edited 2 times in total.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pwa wrote:The Westminster Government is saying half of all over 80s in England have had their first jab, which is great. But in our S Wales village none have had it yet, and there are tales of people in a nearby town receiving their letter after the date of their appointment. The post is so slow at the moment that it can't keep up.

My Mum is getting very frustrated. She's in her 90s and canceled another operation as she regarded Covid vaccination as important (her surgeon said no vaccine week before and 3 weeks after surgery). Nobody in the town where she lives has even got an appointment yet. And she's now reading the Government have said centres can start (or maybe start soon) the over-70 group (which I assume she got from "Exclusive: Over-70s to get Covid vaccine invitations as jabs rollout ramped up "[i]With 90 per cent of over-80s now vaccinated in some areas, ministers prepare to give green light to next age categories" from https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/01/15/exclusive-five-million-over-70s-start-receiving-invitations/ 15 Jan 21 - but I can only read the headline for free and I wont pay the Telegraph).

Ian
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Gov. stat.s here
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

My dad is 76 and is having his Tuesday. That's South Cumbria. If the boondocks can get the jabs into their 75 to 80s group then surely the towns and cities down south with their provisions and resources should be ahead??? Is it down to local NHS organisation? Why are some areas ahead of others?