Pricing a bike for sale

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Bonefishblues

Re: Pricing a bike for sale

Post by Bonefishblues »

I always photograph bikes on my maintenance stand - one purchaser said he felt confident that someone with the right gear had maintained the bike correctly, interestingly (it's also easier to photograph into the nooks and crannies, as it were).

As said, it's about establishing credibility as a seller, and giving the buyer confidence.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Try a high price,and if it does not sell reduce price periodically,until a sale is achieved.A complex debate is quite superfluous.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mumbojumbo wrote:Try a high price,and if it does not sell reduce price periodically,until a sale is achieved.A complex debate is quite superfluous.

TBF I think we're discussing and suggesting ways to help the OP make that 'tipping point' as high as possible :D
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Does ebay offer this facility?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mumbojumbo wrote:Does ebay offer this facility?

Yes, if one uses Buy it Now
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Bonefishblues wrote:
mumbojumbo wrote:Does ebay offer this facility?

Yes, if one uses Buy it Now

The last occasion (which was a few months ago) I considered Buy-It -Now they'd changed it, and in a nutshell
1) The advertising period is set at 30 days (I used to use 7 days)
2) Although (If a long-term or regular user) the advert was free of listing fees (just pay final value fees) after 30 days it would auto-renew CHARGING A FEE
I've found over several years that even with buy-it-now that potential buyers wait until the last day (or even minute) to buy it (who knows why - maybe in case something comes up cheaper?) This means you'll potentially wait up to 30 days for nothing to happen (or the renew fees to kick in :( )

I now tend to do as someone upthread and auction, just starting with the lowest I'll take. I've even tried auction with the 'make an offer' which has again been a bit puzzling....... All 'bidders' waiting until the last few minutes when they could have bought my item 6 days before for the starting price (or even lower if they tried?) I even had someone offer more than my start price for an item they clearly wanted badly.
I've even put in my advert "You may use the 'make -an-offer facility" and get the item a lot quicker than waiting for the auction end" and that hasn't speeded people's bidding. Very strange that people who want a good deal don't just try for it. A couple of years ago I got a montage folder which was at £12 at the time, by offering the guy £50 at 4 days before the auction end, and we were both happy.
patthebike

Post by patthebike »

wjhall wrote:Given that a buyer cannot know the fatigue or corrosion status of the frame, and the consumption of the original drive components suggests that a good part of the nominal frame life could have been consumed, you could try starting the whole assembly at GBP 200 DDP* up to 200 km.

*Delivered Duty Paid

Never heard of a nominal frame life of a frame. What on earth is that, and how long is it for?